NCAA approves meals, other student-athlete well-being rules. | The Boneyard

NCAA approves meals, other student-athlete well-being rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Council approves meals, other student-athlete well-being rules: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...-meals-other-student-athlete-well-being-rules

>> Division I student-athletes can receive unlimited meals and snacks in conjunction with their athletics participation, the Legislative Council decided Tuesday. The rule, which applies to walk-ons as well as scholarship student-athletes, is an effort to meet the nutritional needs of all student-athletes.

The provision of meals approved today is in addition to the meal plan provided as part of a full scholarship. Prior to this change, scholarship student-athletes received three meals a day or a food stipend.

No action is considered final until the Division I Board of Directors meets April 24 (would go into effect 08/01/14).<<

The right call but it will widen the gap between the "have's" and "have-nots" between conferences.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
In my opinion, it was the right call, period. I'm glad it is happening, and it's amazing what had to transpire for it to happen...

Reaction Score
Few more details on change... http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ative-council-meals-student-athletes/7750413/

>>The rule wasn't intended to replace a regular student meal plan. In other words, a school couldn't theoretically hire a five-star chef to cater three meals a day just to athletes. Schools can, however, still provide one training table meal per day during the academic year when regular school dining facilities are open. The cost of those training table meals are deducted from the an athlete's board allowance.

The key part is when schools are allowed to provide incidental meals.

One of the biggest frustrations of coaches and players over the years was the inability to properly feed athletes during summer conditioning or periods where practice was allowed. The new rule allows for meals or snacks year-round as long as they don't replace a meal otherwise included in the scholarship an athlete gets during summer school. An athlete not enrolled in summer classes, however, would not be covered under this new rule.

The so-called "incidental meals" won't be deducted from the board allowance for athletes, and walk-ons will be allowed to eat the meal as well. <<

Reaction Score
Now we're gonna have a bunch of obese college athletes. GREAT

Reaction Score
"Shabazz Rule" was discussed this morning on ESPN radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom