NCAA and Michigan Harbaugh Infractions | The Boneyard

NCAA and Michigan Harbaugh Infractions

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have little to no memory of the history of this infraction prior to reading this article. I also realize Wetzel is a slime ball and everything he writes supports an angle and an agenda.

All that being said, this is why the Px is splitting from the NCAA. They issue a statement saying the school can't comment, Harbaugh can't comment but the NCAA can comment. And, oh by the way, this may finally be adjucated in 2024. The NCAA enforcement is so removed from reality and universities and conferences know that. NCAA will be relegated to managing and operating D2/D3 championships and the top 60-80 universities will take care of the stuff which drives eyes on TV, seats in stadiums and dollars gambled.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have little to no memory of the history of this infraction prior to reading this article. I also realize Wetzel is a slime ball and everything he writes supports an angle and an agenda.

All that being said, this is why the Px is splitting from the NCAA. They issue a statement saying the school can't comment, Harbaugh can't comment but the NCAA can comment. And, oh by the way, this may finally be adjucated in 2024. The NCAA enforcement is so removed from reality and universities and conferences know that. NCAA will be relegated to managing and operating D2/D3 championships and the top 60-80 universities will take care of the stuff which drives eyes on TV, seats in stadiums and dollars gambled.

Why are you happy about this?

Reaction Score
I don't know if happy is the right word, but Bill Self severely punked down the NCAA a few years back when Kansas was facing sanctions. The NCAA backed down. Can't have an agency like that leading enforcement of anything.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't know if happy is the right word, but Bill Self severely punked down the NCAA a few years back when Kansas was facing sanctions. The NCAA backed down. Can't have an agency like that leading enforcement of anything.

So you are in favor of a free-for-all?

Reaction Score
So you are in favor of a free-for-all?
No. But like the dayooper said, it can't be an entity that will back down when pressed by a bully like Self or Calipari

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
No, there needs to be consistency in how the rules are interpreted and enforced.
There always has been. If you are the right school (receive most favored nation status) the rules will not be enforced (example, UNC's no show, no test classes), if you are the wrong school, they will create new rules to punish you (example, UConn's second penalty on the same APR deficiency, leading to being banned from the NCAA tournament in 2013).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No, there needs to be consistency in how the rules are interpreted and enforced.
A thread on the other board was using that argument as a justification for speeding.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm not exactly happy Michigan is big timing the NCAA. But these major schools in the biggest conferences are getting to the point where they can walk away and form something different and something where infractions don't take 4 years to settle and don't have to play by rules where the NCAA can muzzle the school through the threat of more infractions but the NCAA gets to talk about it publicly.

And yes, if these top 60-80 schools break away from the NCAA, TV contracts will be very favorable to them and most fans across the country will follow the new entity. Yes, some will swear off college sports and there will be a drop in interest and revenue. But the breakaway schools will also have a bunch less mouths to feed and will still have as much if not more revenue coming in to their athletic departments.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I'm not exactly happy Michigan is big timing the NCAA. But these major schools in the biggest conferences are getting to the point where they can walk away and form something different and something where infractions don't take 4 years to settle and don't have to play by rules where the NCAA can muzzle the school through the threat of more infractions but the NCAA gets to talk about it publicly.

And yes, if these top 60-80 schools break away from the NCAA, TV contracts will be very favorable to them and most fans across the country will follow the new entity. Yes, some will swear off college sports and there will be a drop in interest and revenue. But the breakaway schools will also have a bunch less mouths to feed and will still have as much if not more revenue coming in to their athletic departments.
The biggest issue is that the Michigan administration will usually bend over backwards to work with the NCAA. They did with stretchgate (Rich Rod did not count stretching as practice time) and Michigan was sanctioned. Even during the Ed Martin scandal, Michigan self imposed their punishment (the NCAA did apply more).

Jim Harbaugh is a weird dude, but if he feels he did nothing wrong, he will not back down. I’m under the impression that this is his last year in Ann Arbor (and college in general) and his suspension in 2024 will be meaningless.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom