NC State Post Game Thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

NC State Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Epic game and one of the best basketball games I've ever watched, although I pretty much watched the entire second half in 5 second score update glimpses. After it ended, I went back and watched the whole thing to the end. Too nerve-wracking to watch that without knowing the ending.
  • CW was 4-8 on FG in Q1 alone. I remember thinking, she's going to end up taking 30 shots and carrying the team.
  • Happened to catch the Dorka injury in real time, and those anguished cries said everything without the video (which was tough to see). It was so good to see her out there on the bench and I think that proved as a solidifying force for the team down the stretch. Win it for Dorka.
  • Someone please put McNutt and MM on a slow boat to nowhere. At least keep them off national telecasts. I detest ESPN studio coverage and have to mute it.
  • Wes Moore is a class act, and I hate it that he had to be the loser in this one. Great to see him and Geno hugging, there's clearly a bond and mutual respect between the two.
  • Paige. IMHO she needed a game like this where she no longer had the luxury of deferring to teammates or thinking about her recovery. She was in Full Autopilot Paige Mode, which will pay dividends next weekend because she proved to herself that she's back.
  • ONO managed to hang in there with 4 fouls for about 20 minutes. Never thought I'd see that. Probably as important as Paige's impact just for that alone. AE stayed in the game until under a minute in the last OT when it no longer mattered. Huge props for knowing the simply could not foul out.
  • Nika a +8 in 8 minutes. Over the summer if she can develop a consistent 3 point shot, learn to shoot FTs and develop her drive to the basket skills she will be a fixture in the rotation. Her energy, defensive prowess, and infectious intangible impact on a game aren't enough when you need all 5 players to score if necessary.
  • Azzi is as good of a pure shooter as there is in the game. Shooters shoot. If she's "on" there's no ceiling to what this team can do. Playing 49 minutes as a frosh in a Final Four games says it all.
  • Caroline, if she's smart, will pester Geno to take Dorka's role in the front court rotation. Sure she's a wing but her reach and post play make up for that, and she can stretch the floor and get out on breaks. She's a finisher, use her.
Wish we got Louisville instead, 'cause Stanford and SC in the next 2 games is a brutal long weekend.

Reaction Score
I thought so too but checking their box score they start 6’4, 6’1, 6’1, 6’1 and 5’9
their main big off the bench is 6’1

where they would really miss Dorka would be against SC
I agree that it is even more pronounced with SC but Belibi is 6'1" and can dunk easily. Iriafen is a stud as well. Brink has become one of the top posts in the game and pretty much negates offense in the paint with her blocks.

Reaction Score
REWARD

Stanford University is offering a reward for information leading to the apprehension of the Head of Medusa. The Head of Medusa is a person of interest wanted for questioning in regard to the release of the Kraken (aka Cetus, aka Ketos, aka Buckets) at a recent Elite Eight basketball game in Bridgeport, CT.

The Head of Medusa was last seen in the company of her accomplices Perseus and Pegasus in the vicinity of the Joppa sea coast approximately 2000 - 3000 years ago.

WARNING

The Head of Medusa is unarmed and dangerous. Do not approach. If you have any information regarding the whereabouts of the Head of Medusa, please contact the Stanford University Athletic Department. Ask for Tara.

Reaction Score
It’s OK Mechelle, just close your eyes and go back to dreaming about Geno’s retirement announcement! Someday soon, the bad man will be gone.
Does anyone know why Mechelle is a bit anti-uconn? not to the extent as McNutt, but pretty obvious now over the last few years...

Reaction Score
Do you know who she was hugging a couple of times in the row behind her during the game? My video quality wasn't great and I couldn't tell if it was a former UConn player. It may have been a man but if so also could have still been a former player.
Hi, could not recognize the person.

Reaction Score
I just don’t think CC or anyone else for that matter is even close to Paige’s level. Yes, Paige plays with other great players but she still manages to separate herself as far and above the team’s superstar. Just because CC sticks out within a lesser team doesn’t make her better. Also, Paige makes everyone around her so much better with the confidence and assuredness she provides. Like Geno said, she just shoulders the load for them and gives them the freedom to be and play like themselves without having to do too much. Even in her first few games back on limited minutes and contributions, it was evident how Paige’s presence changed the way energy around the team. I don’t see how Clark makes anyone (outside of maybe Czinano) exponentially better with her presence. When she isn’t scoring, her other contributions just aren’t enough to warrant her being on PB’s level.

Reaction Score
While Paige's clutch shooting was one of the great performances I have seen in any game, championship or in season, not sure why Azzi isn't getting more love on the Boneyard. Prior to Paige taking over, Fudd was also unstoppable for several critical periods. Kept UConn in the game so Paige could be Paige in the Overtime.
This!!! That’s what is so special about this team. Someone different steps up at different times when needed. Christyn carried us in the 1st. Then Azzi in the 2nd. The 3rd & 4th became the Paige & Azzi show. And then finally…Paige’s absolute takeover in OTs. Obviously, Paige is deserving of all the recognition in the world for her clutch performance but let’s not overlook the immense balance of talent these girls showed throughout the whole game.

Reaction Score
me too.

it's so obvious that this is her de factor effect. how could anyone not see it? so, geno must be seeing something else. again, i'd like to know what it is. he's giving up a lot.

BTW, i'm not suggesting she's a superior talent (vs. azzi, paige, christyn, et. al) but she only was on the floor like 6 min out of 50, and those who were on the floor didn't light things up all the time. ... when she did play, as jchusky notes, the team thrived.
agreed. nika is simply invaluable to this team and really is hard to describe what effect she has unless you see it with your own 2 eyes. i think when she is out there instead of paige, it forces azzi or christyn to become the primary scoring option. i like the offensive aggressiveness that brings out in them. plus, nika’s defensive impact is undoubtedly her best asset. she truly does turn defense into offense and that’s her bread and butter. we want more nika muhl!!!

Reaction Score
I just don’t think CC or anyone else for that matter is even close to Paige’s level. Yes, Paige plays with other great players but she still manages to separate herself as far and above the team’s superstar. Just because CC sticks out within a lesser team doesn’t make her better. Also, Paige makes everyone around her so much better with the confidence and assuredness she provides. Like Geno said, she just shoulders the load for them and gives them the freedom to be and play like themselves without having to do too much. Even in her first few games back on limited minutes and contributions, it was evident how Paige’s presence changed the way energy around the team. I don’t see how Clark makes anyone (outside of maybe Czinano) exponentially better with her presence. When she isn’t scoring, her other contributions just aren’t enough to warrant her being on PB’s level.
It's too bad some need to drag down others to make their point. Paige is wonderful and even better than that sometimes, as she was last night. It was mind-blowing and inspiring to watch Paige being Paige once again.

Still, to say that Caitlin isn't close to Paige's level is, pardon the bluntness, just wacky. You either haven't seen Iowa play often or don't understand what it is that made the Hawkeyes the Big Ten regular season c-champs and tournament champs. Ask Clark's teammates if she makes them better... heck, every game, every one of them gets wide-open shots often because the opposing team is focusing on Caitlin.

"When she isn’t scoring, her other contributions just aren’t enough to warrant her being on PB’s level," you say? How about that she was second in the nation in assists last year and led the nation this year. To boot,she clearly is the team's fiery leader on the court (maybe occasionally too fiery for her own good). Creighton took down the Hawkeyes in the tournament, a credit to Flannery and Co., but that shouldn't lessen what Iowa accomplished this year.

All that said, I'm thrilled Paige is a UConn player for two more years and, during that time, when the Huskies aren't playing, I'll frequently watch Iowa to enjoy watching the incredibly talented Caitlin Clark.

Reaction Score
Got to agree with The Deacon. Got to also say that Paige's personality is a lot more appealing. Paige might just be a better person than she is a great player. It took quite a village to create Paige.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I just finished a second rewatch of the game. I agree with Geno; one of the finest games I have ever seen. I didn't realize Caitlin Clark was on Wes's team.

Reaction Score
Tired of hearing how this team lacks toughness or heart. Was this enough for the detractors?
Aside from the obvious, here are a few highlights for me;

1. That flying put back basket by Edwards.
2. The "magical"pass from AZZI to Evina, whilst totally trapped by two NC State players.
3. Evina's alertness to get the ball to an open Williams for the killer lay-up. Williams calmly making the lay up.
4. Nika Mühl forcing a turnover on an in-bounds attempt by NC State.
5. Paige and AZZI hitting free throws with the pressure of the world on their shoulders. And Edwards hitting two free throws.
6. Paige's 8-9 was it in overtime?

A game for the ages. Don't forget; NC State stole a victory from Notre Dame. And ND ( much to my dismay ) is a terrific young team, who was "playing lights out ." ND scored more than 100 points against strong Oklahoma team, and have two of the best freshman guards in the country. So NC State, with three 5th year seniors and one fourth year senior ( plus a junior ), is experienced and formidable. They did us a favor beating ND ( helped themselves as well, of course ).

A huge win for UCONN to enjoy. Our " bracket" was monstrous. Loaded with excellence.

Reaction Score
I just finished a second rewatch of the game. I agree with Geno; one of the finest games I have ever seen. I didn't realize Caitlin Clark was on Wes's team.
Seriously. Someone will always find a way.... SMH

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Aside from the obvious, here are a few highlights for me;

1. That flying put back basket by Edwards.
2. The "magical"pass from AZZI to Evina, whilst totally trapped by two NC State players.
3. Evina's alertness to get the ball to an open Williams for the killer lay-up. Williams calmly making the lay up.
4. Nika Mühl forcing a turnover on an in-bounds attempt by NC State.
5. Paige and AZZI hitting free throws with the pressure of the world on their shoulders. And Edwards hitting two free throws.
6. Paige's 8-9 was it in overtime?

A game for the ages. Don't forget; NC State stole a victory from Notre Dame. And ND ( much to my dismay ) is a terrific young team, who was "playing lights out ." ND scored more than 100 points against strong Oklahoma team, and have two of the best freshman guards in the country. So NC State, with three 5th year seniors and one fourth year senior ( plus a junior ), is experienced and formidable. They did us a favor beating ND ( helped themselves as well, of course ).

A huge win for UCONN to enjoy. Our " bracket" was monstrous. Loaded with excellence.
I was PO'd at the play-by-play announcer last night when he stated "Paige hasn't missed a shot in overtime, she's 8 for 8, then Paige missed the next shot right when finished the statement.:mad:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Here's your man- MSGRET....
1648586955296.png

Reaction Score
Whoever wrote "You gotta have heart" had to have been thinking of the young ladies who took the floor last night. What's the old saying, "It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game" Last night they won and won.

Reaction Score
where in France? I'm hoping to get there in May... I love France
I live in the south of France. Over the last couple years the lockdowns and mask mandate have made France a lot less appealing to visit. But the covid situation is better now, and the government recently lifted the mask mandate except in medical settings. May is the perfect month to visit. Warm and before the rush of tourists.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well, to be fair, there were 9,825 screaming UCONN fans in the arena and 'bout 175 NC State fans...I was there and counted them. :rolleyes:
Me 2 lol

Reaction Score
I live in the south of France. Over the last couple years the lockdowns and mask mandate have made France a lot less appealing to visit. But the covid situation is better now, and the government recently lifted the mask mandate except in medical settings. May is the perfect month to visit. Warm and before the rush of tourists.
Where in the South? I have a good friend who lives in Pourierres... (20 minutes or so from Aix en Provence

Reaction Score
And OBTW, she did not (would not?) predict the winner of this game, unlike the other ESPN folks.

Article
Barnes - UConn
Voepel - Four paragraphs to pick no one, because ...
Philippou - UConn
Pelton - UConn
I noticed it and had to read twice just to make sure she avoided a pick. I scratched my head thinking what's up with that? If what I am reading in the post is true then it brings it to light. How petty. Surprised the editor(s) let her do that.
It also sheds some light on the piece she did on Muffet claiming UCONN receives favoritism from ESPN. What was missing entirely from the article was any kind on position or opinion on the matter from Voepel. Its silence on the matter shows who's side she is on. Alexa should have her job soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom