NC season | The Boneyard

NC season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This is a little premature but I thought it would great to discuss this years NC chances and take some of those posters away from the Diamond Deshield thread which is getting worn out. LOL

UConn has some questions marks. I believe we need Morgan Tuck healthy to roll. Shes one big who can contribute in inside and outside. Is she 100%? She hasnt been since shes gotten here. Can she play and contribute? If she can UConn should continue their win steak. Another question mark is Saniya Chong going to step up? Last season early on she was steady, very few mistakes and knocked down some shots. For what ever reason she stopped taking shots. Third question. The incoming freshman class. How long does it take for them to develop and is Williams healthy to play? As good as our freshman class is, we have to take a wait and see approach.

Once again our starting four should be fine. They are experienced and have the chemistry to play together. The open position is a guard position. Who will be the 5th starter? Chong or one of the freshman? That remains to be seen.

So is there a team in WCBB who can compete with UConn? I dont see it. Stanford lost Chiney and still has a very good roster, Duke lost 5 starters, UNC lost Diamond, MD lost Thomas, ND lost Achonwa Braker and McBride and still has a good roster, LVille lost Shoni and Slaugher, Baylor lost Sims and MacKenzie but still have a good nucleus coming back. and I dont see any of them giving UConn a test this season.

South Carolina and Tenn bring back some talented teams and will be ranked in the top 4. I dont see then being able to stop UConn. First Tenn is not on UConns roster and SC is and that will be a big time game this season.

Bottom line is who can stop Stewart and Lewis???? The Babe Ruth and Lou Gerhig of WCBB. As most of the top teams lost key players UConn keeps rolling with a nucleus that will be strong again this season. Although UConn may not win every game by double digits and I say that based on foul trouble in the post and pre season health concerns mainly Tuck, UConn will be very hard to beat once again. While many of the top teams appear to be losing players that carried them UConn hasnt. Stewart and Lewis could outscore opponents themselves. There arent any teams out there that can play UConn one on one this season. Im saying this knowing that the other guard position for UConn is not filled yet. This team is scary good at four positions and so strong at those positions defensively that I dont see any team scoring many points.

While UConn may not be as strong without Dolsen and Hartley all the other top teams are weaker with who theyve lost. I expect number 10 this season.

Reaction Score
It is going to be a different team but the outcome will be the same. UConn has Stewie and KML (and Geno) and they don't. And whats great about that is that the incoming class (and following year) will know what it takes and hopefully carry it forward.

Reaction Score
They better get it done this year, 'cuz the next year when DD can play for TN it's pretty much over for 3 years, right?

HGN

Reaction Score
TonyC , I agree with most of your post , but ND scares me.......They have experience , a good coach , good depth , and they have a good class coming in. Yes , they lost Achonwa , Braker , and McBride , and that's a lot. But they have a good and deep roster. Remember they lost Diggins and Peters over the last 1-2 years and still gave us fits. And on top of that we lost Hartley and Dolson , so we lost a lot too.
They will not be easily replaced.

I have given it a little thought and concluded this will be a very good season for UConn , but not an Undefeated season.

When we lose is going to be far more important than Who we lose to.

JMHO.

Reaction Score
I agree with you Tony that Tuck will be the X factor for the Huskies this year. If she is healthy and plays to her ability and the rest of the team stys healthy then I think UConn will win another NC relatively easily. If Tuck is unable to play to her potential or someone misses time due to injury then I think things get a little tougher. I think that South Carolina will be the team that will give us the toughest test in our quest of winning back to back to back National Championships. As for the starting five I think it will be Jefferson, Nurse, Mosqueda Lewis, Stewart, and Stokes. I think Chong will be given every opportunity to win the starting job but eventually I think it will be won by Nurse. Gabby Williams could be in the running as well depending on how well she comes back from her latest knee injury. I am very excited for this freshman class and I think that each one can help this team from the very beginning.

Reaction Score
TonyC , I agree with most of your post , but ND scares me..They have experience , a good coach , good depth , and they have a good class coming in. Yes , they lost Achonwa , Braker , and McBride , and that's a lot. But they have a good and deep roster. Remember they lost Diggins and Peters over the last 1-2 years and still gave us fits. And on top of that we lost Hartley and Dolson , so we lost a lot too.
They will not be easily replaced.

I have given it a little thought and concluded this will be a very good season for UConn , but not an Undefeated season.

When we lose is going to be far more important than Who we lose to.

JMHO.

No team is going to go up against a defense like UConn's defense. ND avg 87 points a game last season and lost by 20 and that's with UConn's offense not firing on all cylinders. It's a different team but same system. More of the same next season I think.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I will reiterate a position I took earlier that UConn will be actually better, even w/o Tuck.
Why?
KML, a complete season, Stewie better, Mo better and even with Kiah only a little better;
tough for the other guys to score, real tough

Also the addition of 2 mobile six foot guards who can shoot and play D
and that's not even mentioning Gabby, Sadie and what Chong brings as a soph.

Who's better?
Who's even close, talent wise?
Tennessee? North or South Carolina?
Bah, humbug.

U

UCONNfan1

I do agree that having a healthy Tuck makes us even better, but that's a bit like comparing a Porsche to a Honda, and then saying "but what if the Porche were upgraded to a Lamborghini"?

I do not think Uconn winning a NC is a foregone conclusion, but we have 3 players on our current roster who were #1/2 in their respective classes (Yeah I count Jefferson as a #1 talent wise). No other team has more than two (Duke - Williams, Jones ND - Turner, Loyd, Ga Tech - Davis, Tennessee - Russell, SC - Wilson).

And the supporting class that Uconn has is just as good if not better than anything anyone else has - Stokes, Tuck, Chong, and then the 4 freshmen.

Worst case scenario for Uconn - Tuck is not ready, Chong is not improved, Williams is not healthy, and the rest of the freshmen are not as ready as thought/hoped. But when you have Stewie, Jefferson, KML and Stokes as 4 out of your starting 5, no one else has that kind of otherworldly talent...

As a side note - UCONN won the NC last year with a rotation of 6. If most of the above worst case comes to pass, but Nurse is still good enough to start and Ekmark is the only one off the bench, we still win #10...

Reaction Score
This is a little premature but I thought
Bottom line is who can stop Stewart and Lewis???? The Babe Ruth and Lou Gerhig of WCBB. As most of the top teams lost key players UConn keeps rolling with a nucleus that will be strong again this season. Although UConn may not win every game by double digits and I say that based on foul trouble in the post and pre season health concerns mainly Tuck, UConn will be very hard to beat once again. While many of the top teams appear to be losing players that carried them UConn hasnt. Stewart and Lewis could outscore opponents themselves. There arent any teams out there that can play UConn one on one this season. Im saying this knowing that the other guard position for UConn is not filled yet. This team is scary good at four positions and so strong at those positions defensively that I dont see any team scoring many points.

While UConn may not be as strong without Dolsen and Hartley all the other top teams are weaker with who theyve lost. I expect number 10 this season.

I agree with Tony. for a slightly different reason. I believe they will give up fewer points per game than last season, esp. if the freshmen learn to play D with their feet and are not foul prone. By the mid-season mark the defense will be ferocious and because of shared minutes at 3 spots, fatigue should not be a huge factor. Next year even better. Lazy passes by the oposition will be turned into points quickly and often. We still have plenty of interior size, so going ddown low will not be terribly prouctive either. No one has the talent to simulate what UConn does and no one works as hard to start with. as was noted in an earlier thread, can you imagine what a UConn practice will be like durig the next two+ seasons?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Everybody knows and mentions the uncertainty about Morgan and many just insert Nurse in over Chong, but I say keep your eye on Courtney. She may surprise you.

Reaction Score
How bad were the Bruins when John Wooden lost in 1974?

I will appreciate if someone can compare the strength and weaknesses of that team with our Huskies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Watch out for Gary Blair's Texas A&M team. the 2 Courtneys played really well last year. They made it to the finals of the Elite 8 where we knocked 'em out. They can knock down shots, and will be a year older and wiser.

While we are on the subject of the "Courtney's", you may be on the lookout for our one and only Courtney Ekmark. I don't understand it, but she seems to be under a lot of people's radar. Don't be surprised if she starts at the shooting guard position ! Or gets a bunch of minutes.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I will reiterate a position I took earlier that UConn will be actually better, even w/o Tuck.
Why?
KML, a complete season, Stewie better, Mo better and even with Kiah only a little better;
tough for the other guys to score, real tough

Also the addition of 2 mobile six foot guards who can shoot and play D
and that's not even mentioning Gabby, Sadie and what Chong brings as a soph.

Who's better?
Who's even close, talent wise?
Tennessee? North or South Carolina?
Bah, humbug.

Well said, brother Ebenezer!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Considering everything we have the two best players in WCBB and they cant be stopped. We have a post presence that plays unbelievable defense and blocks shots and we have the best point guard who can play defense. Next. UConn may not be as good as last season and imo last season was one of the greatest teams in WCBB history but this years team is far better then any team in WCBB. Just stay healthy. One last point and I will be saying this for the next 750 days. Breanna Stewart will not lose a NC Championship.

Reaction Score
If Morgan is 100% there might not be a team that comes within 20 points. If she is healthy, I expect Kiah to be on a short leash and Geno will move Breanna to the five and bring in Morgan at the 4. With KML, Moriah and whoever, they will put the game away by halftime. The second half will be for Saniya, Kiah and the freshman to get some time and rest the starters.

Reaction Score
This is a little premature but I thought it would great to discuss this years NC chances and take some of those posters away from the Diamond Deshield thread which is getting worn out. LOL

UConn has some questions marks. I believe we need Morgan Tuck healthy to roll. Shes one big who can contribute in inside and outside. Is she 100%? She hasnt been since shes gotten here. Can she play and contribute? If she can UConn should continue their win steak. Another question mark is Saniya Chong going to step up? Last season early on she was steady, very few mistakes and knocked down some shots. For what ever reason she stopped taking shots. Third question. The incoming freshman class. How long does it take for them to develop and is Williams healthy to play? As good as our freshman class is, we have to take a wait and see approach.

Once again our starting four should be fine. They are experienced and have the chemistry to play together. The open position is a guard position. Who will be the 5th starter? Chong or one of the freshman? That remains to be seen.

So is there a team in WCBB who can compete with UConn? I dont see it. Stanford lost Chiney and still has a very good roster, Duke lost 5 starters, UNC lost Diamond, MD lost Thomas, ND lost Achonwa Braker and McBride and still has a good roster, LVille lost Shoni and Slaugher, Baylor lost Sims and MacKenzie but still have a good nucleus coming back. and I dont see any of them giving UConn a test this season.

South Carolina and Tenn bring back some talented teams and will be ranked in the top 4. I dont see then being able to stop UConn. First Tenn is not on UConns roster and SC is and that will be a big time game this season.

You brought up a point that Tuck has never been fully healthy in her time at UConn and yet she was a really nice contributor her freshman year and in her brief playing time this year despite her injury issue. I'm inclined to think that she'll be able to contribute nicely this season, improving as the season goes on to where she'll really be playing well as we head towards tournament time. I think we'll be pretty darn good at the guard position with our incoming freshmen. With the international experience Kia Nurse is getting, I'd be astounded if she won't be a real plus particularly on the defensive side. Ekmark has Geno saying she's among the best shooters he's ever seen so that bodes well for her ability to come in and put some points on the board. I'm hopeful Chong gets past her mental block or whatever it was that had her regressing instead of progressing as the year went on. I don't know what to make of the other two young ladies. Ms. Williams is coming off a serious knee injury and Sadie is someone who I'm not sure what to expect from. I've heard so little of her and her abilities that I will have to reserve judgement. I think it may take a little while to integrate everyone but since defense is and always has been the name of the game in Storrs, our defense will shore things up until our lineup situation is resolved.

Reaction Score
I completely agree that with a healthy Morgan Tuck, this team will be VERY difficult to get past, even with just average contributions from the freshman class.

Although I expect the freshman to be solid contributors throughout the year, especially Nurse with her international experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom