NBA Draft | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I would rather keep crowder as I think he is Butler lite (although that may not be saying much to you) in that he can defend multiple positions, hit the 3 at an acceptable clip (.336 on 5.0 attempts) , and he's on a really reasonable contract . I view Bradley as a 3 and D sg who is unlikely to get much better. Butler outpaces bradley in many advanced metrics including VORP (13.0 to 1.1), WS (35.5 to 11.3), and some other stuff. You can see the full list of stats below. I like bradley and if we can finagle a way to keep him and get butler, which seems unlikely, I would be totally down for that. But saying butler is not much better than bradley just seems flat out wrong in my humble opinion.

Player Comparison Finder | Basketball-Reference.com

I get that, but Bradley has struggled with injuries and still improved every year. I think Danny views him the way he viewed Thomas, as a guy who doesn't get the credit he should due to his height. I think he will be reluctant to deal him because he is likely to be undervalued. I can see Brad drooling at playing them together as a shut down tandem.

Reaction Score
I don't love this draft, Simmons didn't impress me with his college play and Ingram while a very nice scorer is way too slight for the NBA right now. After those two its a total mosh-pit of guys projected 3-7 or 8 all with flaws that make them more likely average NBA players then stars.

SIXERS - If you agree neither Simmons or Ingram is a franchise changing star (at lease not in their rookie year) then the Sixers are screwed again, more penance for purposefully throwing games for 3 years. They really need to make a trade, but everyone knows that Okafor and Noel are halves, too bad you can't have them tag at half court. I think the 76ers should showcase that Embid is healthy in training camp and then trade him to balance out their roster.

LA - Yawn, they are years away and neither Ingram nor Simmons is going to accelerate that. They might get a free agent though, Walton was a great hire and will help them lure players.

CELTICS - Given all that and the trade market, if I'm the Celtics I take one of the upside gamble guys and see if they can develop him. This likely means a full-step back and the team is no more competitive next year and is relying on a 2017 draft or draft-pick-trade to get to the upper echelon in the eastern conference.
So I'd pick Dragan Bender (while knowing 0 about him, questioning why he can't even start in Israel etc..) or Jaylen Brown (I haven't seen him play either).

I like Dunn, Hield, Sabonis & Valentine as best bets to be starters and contribute right away.

Sleepers: Brice Johnson (skinny but keeps improving), Thon Maker, Bembry (poor man's DrJ), Perry Ellis, Selden (TAllen type), Cat Barber (on right team he'd be Nate W type)

Busts: Poetl (Sabonis ate his lunch), Skal, Diamond Stone (went to wrong college for his devel), Tyler Ulis (150lbs, really?!).

Reaction Score
OK so I don't really have a horse in the race as I don't closely follow the NBA. However, I do check in and a close friend of mine is a Knicks fan.

If you're the Knicks and either of the following deals were presented to you would you do either of them? Both? Neither?

Trade Scenario 1:

Knicks get: Brandon Knight, Alex Len, PJ Tucker, Archie Goodwin, and the No. 4 and No. 13 picks
Cavs get: Carmelo Anthony, Robin Lopez, Eric Bledsoe
Suns get: Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love, Mo Williams, and Sasha Kaun

Trade Scenario 2:
Knicks get: Georgui Deng, Nikola Pekovic, Shabazz Muhammad, No. 5 pick.
Cavs get: Carmelo Anthony, Tyus Jones
Timberwolves get: Kevin Love

I think if I'm the Knicks I would do either deal. I think getting rid of Anthony now while he still has value is paramount. However if both were offered at the same time, I'd go with package from the Suns. Brandon Knight can be a big PG for them since that's what Phil likes. Goodwin can score and Len has some potential. I also think getting the extra lottery pick would be huge for the Knicks. If they could get a guy like Jaylen Brown at 4 and then maybe a guy like Sabonis at 13 that'd be huge for them.
I prefer Bledsoe over Knight as a Knick fan....

Here is my thing, first off I will trade Melo for nothing...

So any picks coming I am happy...

If their is anyway the Knicks can wake up Friday morning and Kris Dunn and Porzingis are on the roster, I think they hit a grand slam.

I believe they will set themselves up with 2 foundational players for the next 5-7 years...

Reaction Score
I don't love this draft, Simmons didn't impress me with his college play and Ingram while a very nice scorer is way too slight for the NBA right now. After those two its a total mosh-pit of guys projected 3-7 or 8 all with flaws that make them more likely average NBA players then stars.

SIXERS - If you agree neither Simmons or Ingram is a franchise changing star (at lease not in their rookie year) then the Sixers are screwed again, more penance for purposefully throwing games for 3 years. They really need to make a trade, but everyone knows that Okafor and Noel are halves, too bad you can't have them tag at half court. I think the 76ers should showcase that Embid is healthy in training camp and then trade him to balance out their roster.

LA - Yawn, they are years away and neither Ingram nor Simmons is going to accelerate that. They might get a free agent though, Walton was a great hire and will help them lure players.

CELTICS - Given all that and the trade market, if I'm the Celtics I take one of the upside gamble guys and see if they can develop him. This likely means a full-step back and the team is no more competitive next year and is relying on a 2017 draft or draft-pick-trade to get to the upper echelon in the eastern conference.
So I'd pick Dragan Bender (while knowing 0 about him, questioning why he can't even start in Israel etc..) or Jaylen Brown (I haven't seen him play either).

I like Dunn, Hield, Sabonis & Valentine as best bets to be starters and contribute right away.

Sleepers: Brice Johnson (skinny but keeps improving), Thon Maker, Bembry (poor man's DrJ), Perry Ellis, Selden (TAllen type), Cat Barber (on right team he'd be Nate W type)

Busts: Poetl (Sabonis ate his lunch), Skal, Diamond Stone (went to wrong college for his devel), Tyler Ulis (150lbs, really?!).
Tyler Ulis will not be a bust, I guarantee it, I think your on point with Brice Johnson, think he will be a nice player.

Reaction Score

I agree to an extent with Simmons but I think we're looking at a kid who knew he was a lock for a top 3 pick since his days at monteverde so he wasn't putting the pedal to the metal the way a guy like dunn had to, in order to prove his worth and spot in the lottery. Simmons looks like a more athletic Odom to me with better passing instincts. I wouldn't be shocked if simmons averaged 16 pts, 8 boards and 5 assists on close to 50% shooting and low to mid 70's from the stripe. His upside is pretty hight, esp if he develops that shot.

I agree on Ingram to an extent as well. The KD comps were easy, but people forget KD was 215 coming out of UT at 6'9 and he looked skinny at that weight. Ingram is like 20 pounds lighter and looks borderline emaciated. Ingram will struggle with the physicality of the nba. Others have said he looks similar to Giannis, but imo he is far more versatile than ingram.

DraftExpress: Pre Draft Measurements

Reaction Score
OK so I don't really have a horse in the race as I don't closely follow the NBA. However, I do check in and a close friend of mine is a Knicks fan.

If you're the Knicks and either of the following deals were presented to you would you do either of them? Both? Neither?

Trade Scenario 1:

Knicks get: Brandon Knight, Alex Len, PJ Tucker, Archie Goodwin, and the No. 4 and No. 13 picks

Trade Scenario 2:

I think if I'm the Knicks I would do either deal. I think getting rid of Anthony now while he still has value is paramount. However if both were offered at the same time, I'd go with package from the Suns. Brandon Knight can be a big PG for them since that's what Phil likes. Goodwin can score and Len has some potential. I also think getting the extra lottery pick would be huge for the Knicks. If they could get a guy like Jaylen Brown at 4 and then maybe a guy like Sabonis at 13 that'd be huge for them.

Trade 2 scenario is laughable from the Twolves perspective. They would never make that trade in 100 years. Coach Thibs is a defensive minded coach and they already have a decent front court in KAT and Deng. They need a knock down shooter/2 guard to make their lineup potent. They dont need or want Love.

Thibs said he chose the Twolves because they had the best young core in the league in his opinion with KAT, Wiggins and Levine. If Levine can tighten up his handle or continue to get better he will be more than just a freak athlete. Twolves are going to be scary in the coming years if they can keep that team together. Dunn, Hield, or Murray are great picks for them at #5.

Thibs also really wants to trade for Butler so who knows what will happen.

Reaction Score
Trade 2 scenario is laughable from the Twolves perspective. They would never make that trade in 100 years. Coach Thibs is a defensive minded coach and they already have a decent front court in KAT and Deng. They need a knock down shooter/2 guard to make their lineup potent. They dont need or want Love.

Thibs said he chose the Twolves because they had the best young core in the league in his opinion with KAT, Wiggins and Levine. If Levine can tighten up his handle or continue to get better he will be more than just a freak athlete. Twolves are going to be scary in the coming years if they can keep that team together. Dunn, Hield, or Murray are great picks for them at #5.

In reality unless your on the brink of a championship, no intelligent person wants Melo....

Reaction Score

Trade Scenario 1:

Trade Scenario 2:

Trade 2 is abysmal for the wolves and I say that without really knowing how this deal would affect their money situation, but that would have to be one of the major considerations. K love's value has dropped precipitously and he doesn't really do anything to move improve their long term prospects.

I live in NY and want to see the knicks regain some of their early 90's form atop the east. Trade one would go a ways towards accomplishing that. Cavs aren't trading kyrie after their win and i'm sure K love is still on the table.

Reaction Score

I think KAT is going to be a top 10 player by his third year in the league, he doesn't seem to have any weaknesses. When I do drafts in NBA 2k16 (video game) he is taken between 10th and 15th already.

Reaction Score
I agree to an extent with Simmons but I think we're looking at a kid who knew he was a lock for a top 3 pick since his days at monteverde so he wasn't putting the pedal to the metal the way a guy like dunn had to, in order to prove his worth and spot in the lottery. Simmons looks like a more athletic Odom to me with better passing instincts. I wouldn't be shocked if simmons averaged 16 pts, 8 boards and 5 assists on close to 50% shooting and low to mid 70's from the stripe. His upside is pretty hight, esp if he develops that shot.

I agree on Ingram to an extent as well. The KD comps were easy, but people forget KD was 215 coming out of UT at 6'9 and he looked skinny at that weight. Ingram is like 20 pounds lighter and looks borderline emaciated. Ingram will struggle with the physicality of the nba. Others have said he looks similar to Giannis, but imo he is far more versatile than ingram.

DraftExpress: Pre Draft Measurements
Yeah, I hear you on Simmons - I can see the versatility in his game and the Odom comparison is a good one. I'd absolutely take him over Ingram, but that's no shocker. The worry is the motor, competitiveness etc... I'd be asking a lot of questions about the LSU situation and if the coaching was truly awful, then I'd be more encouraged. Otherwise I'd shop the pick.

To me the Ingram comp is Tayshaun Prince, Ingram a better version but similar roles at least. Kevin Durant was unbelievable to watch in college and as close to unquestioned superstar as you can get, Ingram at least to this point not in that ballpark.

Best case scenario for the Celtics is someone picking 4,5 or 6 wants the #3 and the Celtics feel good about whomever they want dropping. I don't see either the Lakers or Sixers trading down for the #3 and anything the Celtics have on the roster. And I wouldn't trade #3 for Okafor or Noel or Embid.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Can't argue most of this. I think there may be a star or two here. I don't think anyone knows who that is, so people are drafting based on which guys are most likely to be that guy. It probably is Simmons. But he's more likely to be a dud than Ingram or Dunn, or Jamal Murray. Bender and Brown have upside, but also could be complete duds. Further down there are some solid guys, so it is a decent draft for good teams, a weak one for poor teams.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Before the usuals jump all over me, let me state this first - Kris Dunn is a very good guard
That being said, I am not quite as optimistic about him as many - injuries and suspect outside shot
I would be disappointed if the Celts chose him as well as don't think Buddy is the answer.
Celts need a K Durant type player.
To be frank, I rather liked the team they had this year but need that sharp shooting 4.
This draft is one of the weakest in years
Figures its the one that the Cs have a stockpile.
It will be interesting

Reaction Score
Before the usuals jump all over me, let me state this first - Kris Dunn is a very good guard
That being said, I am not quite as optimistic about him as many - injuries and suspect outside shot
I would be disappointed if the Celts chose him as well as don't think Buddy is the answer.
Celts need a K Durant type player.
To be frank, I rather liked the team they had this year but need that sharp shooting 4.
This draft is one of the weakest in years
Figures its the one that the Cs have a stockpile.
It will be interesting

Who doesn't need a k durant type player? Top 3-5 players don't grow on trees.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Who doesn't need a k durant type player? Top 3-5 players don't grow on trees.

I think (hope) he just means a good small forward/wing type player. It is the greatest need for the C's and the reason I was bummed that they didn't get the 1-2 pick. Not so much that those two guys are great, but they are both at a need position.

Reaction Score
I think (hope) he just means a good small forward/wing type player. It is the greatest need for the C's and the reason I was bummed that they didn't get the 1-2 pick. Not so much that those two guys are great, but they are both at a need position.
I honestly don't know what the greatest positional need is for the Celtics. I'd be most inclined to say Center because at the 5-spot their roster is below average. After that I'd say PF, then PG 3rd since they have guys that can play there even if they are more scoring guards. But they have both weak players and a lack of players that are 6'8" or taller.

PG - Maybe they don't have one, or maybe Isaiah or MSmart is a hybrid PG
SG- They've got at least 1 above average in Avery Bradley, Smart and Isaiah also above average if playing the 2. Rozier should be serviceable in 16-17 albeit too similar to Bradley (making Bradley their most trade-able player if they believe in Rozier)
SF* - Crowder is very good at this spot and can play 4 as well. Turner was very good in his role last year & Jeberko is hit or miss, if they can get Turner cost effectively I'd welcome him back.
PF - Amir Johnson, Sullinger (not under contract, I'd pass GET IN SHAPE?!)- a weakness and shortage
C - Zeller (not under contract), Olynyk - a weakness & shortage

Given the weakness in the frontcourt combined with need for a superstar I reiterate that they have to gamble a bit and draft either Bender or JBrown (if he's a SF then Crowder moves to PF). If you don't like either of these guys trade down and draft either Marquese Chriss or Sabonis.

Their other problem is the 3-4 guys (Smart, Isaiah, Bradley, Crowder) that are attractive to other teams via trade are ALL needed to build a competitive roster around a star. I.e. if you trade Marcus Smart (and to me Smart is the most un-touchable guy they have) & #3 for Butler you have upgraded, but you still only have 3-4 playoff team type guys. Ditto if they trade Crowder + something for Love. IF you draft right you can end up with 4-5 .

*Bummer that James Young hasn't panned out. His best basketball consists entirely of the jumpers he hit vs us in the NCAA finals. A long time ago. Not sure what his deal/problem is. This story and accompanying stats are brutal. Cap fodder in a trade most likely.
Is it time for the Celtics to say goodbye to James Young?

Reaction Score
Celts have been talking to Portland about Khris Middleton some say. Not sure if it was mentioned above and i missed it - wondering what C fans think of that as I haven't really seen him play?

Reaction Score
Celts have been talking to Portland about Khris Middleton some say. Not sure if it was mentioned above and i missed it - wondering what C fans think of that as I haven't really seen him play?

You probably haven't seen him play, because he plays for Milwaukee. ;) He's a good shooter though. Decent rotation guy.

Reaction Score
Last years thread of predictions was interesting. I like wade Baldwin and Deandre bembry a lot in the late lotto to 25 range. 100% not into ulis, I understand the IT comparisons but I don't think he's a good enough scorer for his size to play.

Reaction Score
Simmons and Ingram will both be STUDS. Don't kid yourselves. They're only viewed in a negative light because they didn't move up or down the rankings. Have stayed 1 and 2 since the preseason. Ingram might end up being better than Simmons based off the direction the NBA game is going.

After those two, it's a crapshoot. I don't truly like anyone but Jamal Murray. The celts should do anything they can to get Butler because dividends will pay off 3 years faster than drafting a Dunn or Hield

Reaction Score
I think KAT is going to be a top 10 player by his third year in the league, he doesn't seem to have any weaknesses. When I do drafts in NBA 2k16 (video game) he is taken between 10th and 15th already.
Third year? By some metrics he is right there as a top15ish player. I would take him over dre and whiteside. Honestly there's nothing more exciting than new britain native thibs taking control of that minny team

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Derrick rose just got traded to the Knicks. Cause the Knicks needed another overpaid scorer.

Reaction Score
Simmons and Ingram will both be STUDS. Don't kid yourselves. They're only viewed in a negative light because they didn't move up or down the rankings. Have stayed 1 and 2 since the preseason. Ingram might end up being better than Simmons based off the direction the NBA game is going.

After those two, it's a crapshoot. I don't truly like anyone but Jamal Murray. The celts should do anything they can to get Butler because dividends will pay off 3 years faster than drafting a Dunn or Hield
A. What does studs even mean? All NBA? All Stars? I'd take the field vs Ben+Ingram for ROY.
B. Read this profile on Simmons. Lots of red flags (didn't got to class at LSU, scored 'high' on an EQ test so he doesn't have to worry about school, his entire family is involved in his 'brand', upset at the criticism, buying a bunch of jewelry, NOW he's taking working out seriously & added the requisite 15lbs of muscle* - honestly for a puff how great is he piece I didn't see one actual encouraging thing in there).
Ben Simmons thinks he has it all planned out

* MUSCLEWATCH « NBA.com | All Ball Blog with Lang Whitaker

Reaction Score
Derrick rose just got traded to the Knicks. Cause the Knicks needed another overpaid scorer.
Just talking about this yesterday with Knick fan & other NBA fans, all agreed hoping it wouldn't happen b/c it would likely mean that DRose as a viable NBA player was doomed.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Celtics are rumored to be leaning towards Dunn
Phoenix Criss
Minnesota wants Dunn but it looks like he won't be there.

Celtics and sixers are working harder on a trade for the third pick.

Thon maker may not be 19

Reaction Score
You probably haven't seen him play, because he plays for Milwaukee. ;) He's a good shooter though. Decent rotation guy.
Middleton is more than a decent rotation guy, hes a 6'8 scorer, he is only 24 and he is signed through 2019. If the Celts can get him for the 3rd pick they should do it in a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom