NBA draft production since '87 | The Boneyard

NBA draft production since '87

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ESPN rates lottery and first round picks higher than second round picks.

http://Post original url/1svTMq6

1. duke
2.unc
3.kentucky
4 kansas
5. Arizona
6. ucla
7. uconn

Reaction Score
Didn't ESPN do this extensive list last year also weighing impact?

And they determined that UConn was 3rd after North Carolina and Georgetown.

Reaction Score
I wonder, do recruits keep up with this stuff or just us adult fans?

I would think that a talented recruit can get to the NBA with any of the top 25 programs in the country. The advantage of course is if you leave better than you came in (i.e. NBA ready). I think that is what Ollie will be able to sell in a few years.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Now factor in development... Most of those schools ahead of us are recruiting only top 30 kids. We're bringing in 3-4 star kids and getting them into the league. We didn't even have a high school all American on this last championship team those teams are bringing in atleast 1 AA each year.

Reaction Score
Didn't ESPN do this extensive list last year also weighing impact?

And they determined that UConn was 3rd after North Carolina and Georgetown.

Yes, see link below.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/tag/_/name/path-to-the-draft-2013

I think this analysis was better because it took into account what the players did in the NBA after they were drafted. In the SB Nation article in the original post Duke would get more credit for Cherokee Parks being a lottery pick than UConn would for Cliff Robinson having a solid 17 year career. Cliffy made a lot more money in the NBA than Parks did. Isn't that ultimately what recruits want rather than just getting drafted? UConn players in general have been more prepared for the NBA than Duke players even though Duke has had more players drafted.

Reaction Score
Yes, see link below.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/tag/_/name/path-to-the-draft-2013

I think this analysis was better because it took into account what the players did in the NBA after they were drafted. In the SB Nation article in the original post Duke would get more credit for Cherokee Parks being a lottery pick than UConn would for Cliff Robinson having a solid 17 year career. Cliffy made a lot more money in the NBA than Parks did. Isn't that ultimately what recruits want rather than just getting drafted? UConn players in general have been more prepared for the NBA than Duke players even though Duke has had more players drafted.
What I find interesting in that link is that UConn will have the only HOF player amoung the top schools (except Georgetown with Ewing and Iverson). I don't see anyone from duke, uk or unc making the HOF.

Reaction Score
Kitaman said:
What I find interesting in that link is that UConn will have the only HOF player amoung the top schools (except Georgetown with Ewing and Iverson). I don't see anyone from duke, uk or unc making the HOF.

Vince Carter has a good chance. Has big career numbers from longevity and was a dominant player at his peak.

Reaction Score
Vince Carter has a good chance. Has big career numbers from longevity and was a dominant player at his peak.

Man, if Carter makes the HOF, I'll shake my head.

I'd take several non HOF ahead of him, like Buck Williams, maybe Jack Sikma, or Dikembe Mutombo, Detlef Schempf, Sidney Moncrief or Chris Webber. of those, definitely Williams and a ? on all the others including Carter.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
As the article notes: "Good as he was, Carter never led a team past the second round of the playoffs. Good as he was, in 2005 he blatantly tanked his way out of Toronto at the first hint of dissatisfaction, and then later, with the New Jersey Nets, openly admitted it. (Toronto fans rightfully revile Carter, which, seeing as he played a not-insignificant role in building that city's now-thriving basketball culture in the first place, is doubly sad.) Good as he was, Carter never played defense. Good as he was, Carter flopped and flailed like every bit of contact was a mortal wound, and zestily played up every minor injury. Good as he was -- and seriously, you guys, the dude was good -- Carter could have lurched toward this fall, in what will be his 15th NBA season, as a diminished but revered legend. Instead, he's practically a cautionary tale. Good as he was, he never seemed to care..."

Reaction Score
He's certainly no guarantee - but he's in the Alex English and Adrian Dantley mold of guys who put up big numbers in their careers without winning titles. Carter is 25th all time in scoring and was a 28 ppg guy at his peak. He may not get in, but when the voting comes around, he's going to have some numbers to help his case.

He was also the USA's leading scorer on a gold medal winning team in the Olympics in 2000.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
I hear you. The dude put up some great numbers, and in later years, the stats can carry more weight than the grey beards recollection of every flop and foible... so it wouldn't surprise me if you are right.

Reaction Score
Carter is definitely a HOF. Never really won nothing in the league but the guy was good enough. his first 10 years in the league he was about as good as anybody. I remember at one point there was an arguement on who would you take vince or kobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom