NBA Draft Combine | Page 16 | The Boneyard

NBA Draft Combine

Reaction Score
“I can’t hide it, it’s just who I am," Spencer noted. "I didn’t come here for fun, honestly. I came here to win. We didn’t get the win (Tuesday), I was pretty mad about that."

Alternate access:

UConn's Cam Spencer shows off his intensity at NBA Draft Combine: 'It's just who I am'

Reaction Score
If Clingan just stood in the paint on defense and didn't move and on offense just camped on the block, he could play 35 minutes, too.
this is my feeling. Edey playing big minutes isn't because of stamina, it's because he wasn't asked to run around like clingan is all game. It was clear he was gassed after about 10 minutes against uconn, only picking it back up after the game was well in hand.

Reaction Score
I still feel Castle is more of a playmaking wing/secondary playmaker and not a true lead guard, but we shall see...

Reaction Score
I still feel Castle is more of a playmaking wing/secondary playmaker and not a true lead guard, but we shall see...

I have a feeling he's been coached to give that answer. It's basically: I am willing to do what it takes for the team to win, even if it means taking a backseat. But there's a reason why I'm worthy of a top-5 pick and expect to be a star in the league.

Reaction Score
I’m fine with the answer. I like that he wants to play the 1. 1-3 is somewhat interchangeable at this point. I think his fit next to a ball dominant guard like Ja who also isn’t a great shooter probably doesn’t work either way.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling he's been coached to give that answer. It's basically: I am willing to do what it takes for the team to win, even if it means taking a backseat. But there's a reason why I'm worthy of a top-5 pick and expect to be a star in the league.
You didn't see the rest of SC's quote where he admitted he was hedging his bets when asked about Ja because as someone who's rarely "packing" he'd be ready to fill in for Ja on a moment's notice............

Reaction Score
Borges has done a good job covering the UConn guys at the combine. I don't think any other CT paper sent someone out to Chicago.

“I feel like I’m NBA-ready now," he said. "There’s a lot of point guards in the draft, a lot of young ones. But, if you take me, you’ve got a pro-ready player right now. I can go in there right now, help the team win, run the offense for you, instead of waiting a couple of years for a young guy to develop.”

“The dream is to make it in the NBA, not just hear your name called on draft night," Tristen Newton said. "If the right team drafts me, that would be great. If we go undrafted and get to pick the team we really want to go to and find the right fit and help me out with my whole career, that would be great, too.”

Alternate access:

Why UConn's Tristen Newton feels he's 'NBA-ready right now' after All-America pick, second NCAA title

Reaction Score
Agreed. Also probably good not to frame yourself as a shooting guard when the biggest question mark from scouts is your jump shot too.

Reaction Score
Borges has done a good job covering the UConn guys at the combine. I don't think any other CT paper sent someone out to Chicago.

“I feel like I’m NBA-ready now," he said. "There’s a lot of point guards in the draft, a lot of young ones. But, if you take me, you’ve got a pro-ready player right now. I can go in there right now, help the team win, run the offense for you, instead of waiting a couple of years for a young guy to develop.”

“The dream is to make it in the NBA, not just hear your name called on draft night," Tristen Newton said. "If the right team drafts me, that would be great. If we go undrafted and get to pick the team we really want to go to and find the right fit and help me out with my whole career, that would be great, too.”

Alternate access:

Why UConn's Tristen Newton feels he's 'NBA-ready right now' after All-America pick, second NCAA title

There are no other CT papers.

Reaction Score
There are no other CT papers.
I hear you. The Horde has dwindled. The Hartford Courant, New London Day and Waterbury Republican-American also have UConn beat reporters. But the Courant and Register (Hearst) are really the only 2 that consistently send their reporters to away games farther than NYC.

Reaction Score
W
I'm surprised to see Edey outperforming Clingan in all of the drills - agility, sprint and leaps. Clingan is the worst performing big man there, it looks like.

hats funny here is Samson would destroy this drill

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Uhhhh. Edey averaged 32 mins a game this year and his stamina was absolutely a huge reason why he won back to back national player of the year awards. DCs conditioning isn't something I think he'd want comp'd to other prospects. Edeys stamina doesn't get enough credit.

The reason Edey played so many minutes is because he doesn't move on the court. On defense he jogs under the basket then just stands there. On offense he moves a little more but nothing like the motion our offense has.

Reaction Score

Alternate access:

so that answer's my question on who his agent is that advised him not to play, I agree with the sentiment regarding the film should speak plenty for him and not 2 days of pick-up games with players you don't know. His agent also advised Derrick Jones Jr to decline his player option with the Chicago Bulls and sign for the minimum in Dallas in hopes for a bigger deal down the line and that has worked out great for him, so hopefully if Newton doesn't get drafted they put him in the best spot possible to make a team ala Austin Reaves.

Reaction Score
I hear you. The Horde has dwindled. The Hartford Courant, New London Day and Waterbury Republican-American also have UConn beat reporters. But the Courant and Register (Hearst) are really the only 2 that consistently send their reporters to away games farther than NYC.
Waterbury is more part-time. Day doesn’t travel and emphasized UConn coverage. Ad Courant only has 4 sports reporters left, and doesn’t even have a building.

It is Hearst, and that’s it. Sucks .

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Waterbury is more part-time. Day doesn’t travel and emphasized UConn coverage. Ad Courant only has 4 sports reporters left, and doesn’t even have a building.

It is Hearst, and that’s it. Sucks .
And the UConn Daily

Reaction Score
It's too bad they didn't put our boys together in one of the 5v5 scrimmages. Of course is was not going to happen, it just would have been fun to watch.

Reaction Score
I didn't see this posted anywhere but behind ESPN+ locked I saw this about AK:

Alex Karaban, SF/PF, UConn: After a quiet first game, Karaban had a much more active day Wednesday, with a number of good moments and solid defensive play to help remind teams why he's been important and successful at UConn. His game is predicated more on cutting and spacing for teammates -- not always obvious in a scrimmage setting -- but Karaban was decisive about his touches (12 points on five shots) and moved his feet on the perimeter, boxed out and showcased his excellent basketball IQ. His decision to turn pro or return to UConn hinges on how good he feels about his potential landing spots. -- Jeremy Woo

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom