NBA Draft Combine | Page 15 | The Boneyard

NBA Draft Combine

Reaction Score
Why would people get mad. You draft Bronny and then sign his dad. I mean just because someone who is a better player gets passed over so a team can get Lebron. What's the big deal.

caw

Reaction Score
Certainly seems more appropriate since they play in shoes
Yes and no IMO. For listing purposes yes, tack on 1.5 inches to every players height w/o shoes for rosters I say.

However, for testing purposes, measure them all barefoot to get a uniform comparison between players. It’s silly to take players height in shoes when you have no clue if the shoe they are wearing are a) basketball functional (lots of players don’t scrimmage, and in the past many didn’t do drillls) b) players change shoes a ton during their career (is Alex a better player if he wears shoe X at 2” but worse in shoe Y with 1” soles? If he is can’t he just change shoes the next game?).

In the end, the combine is less about actual playing height and more about getting a real read to compare players against each other.

Reaction Score
Yes and no IMO. For listing purposes yes, tack on 1.5 inches to every players height w/o shoes for rosters I say.

However, for testing purposes, measure them all barefoot to get a uniform comparison between players. It’s silly to take players height in shoes when you have no clue if the shoe they are wearing are a) basketball functional (lots of players don’t scrimmage, and in the past many didn’t do drills) b) players change shoes a ton during their career (is Alex a better player if he wears shoe X at 2” but worse in shoe Y with 1” soles? If he is can’t he just change shoes the next game?).

In the end, the combine is less about actual playing height and more about getting a real read to compare players against each other.
I agree for the sake of uniformity. The problem is that the numbers are striking people strangely right now because they only started measuring w/o shoes a few years ago. If they had done it like this always, i doubt we'd be discussing it at all.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
A few more measurement highlights.

Bronny is 6’1.5(listed at 6’4 for the last 3 years).

Length may actually hurt Flipowski? Height 6’10.75 > Wingspan 6’10.5. Never paid attention to arm length but it makes sense why teams scored in the paint against Duke.

Sears is 5’10.
Filipowski sucks, most overrated player in ncaa. Will have a lousy nba career

Reaction Score
I bet after 5 minutes of game time, Edey's drops a helluva lot more than DC's. Ditto for the others. I suspect they aren't taking stamina into account
Uhhhh. Edey averaged 32 mins a game this year and his stamina was absolutely a huge reason why he won back to back national player of the year awards. DCs conditioning isn't something I think he'd want comp'd to other prospects. Edeys stamina doesn't get enough credit.

Reaction Score

However, for testing purposes, measure them all barefoot to get a uniform comparison between players. It’s silly to take players height in shoes when you have no clue if the shoe they are wearing are a) basketball functional (lots of players don’t scrimmage, and in the past many didn’t do drillls) b) players change shoes a ton during their career (is Alex a better player if he wears shoe X at 2” but worse in shoe Y with 1” soles? If he is can’t he just change shoes the next game?).

I tack on 1.5" all the time. Who's gonna call me on it?

Reaction Score
He looks fine, has been training with other big men in Florida, etc. I highly doubt he got down to 260 ish during the season.
That's probably true. I remember DH saying that was the goal, and that was what they thought was his best weight, but idk if he was playing there or not.

I'm not saying he was overweight. There could be a million reasons why he put on the weight, and it's most likely that it was intentional. These combine numbers are not important for him. He has all his best stuff on tape. The combine is for guys who want to show that they can do things that they couldnt show on tape.

caw

Reaction Score
I agree for the sake of uniformity. The problem is that the numbers are striking people strangely right now because they only started measuring w/o shoes a few years ago. If they had done it like this always, i doubt we'd be discussing it at all.

Agreed, but it's also new for all players to be required to do these measurements/drills. Both are steps in the right direction for a combine (I have issues with the entire idea of a combine overall but that's another discussion.

Reaction Score
I didn't watch any of the combine but DC looked pretty slim in the workout stuff Givony tweeted, I was surprised he weighed in 280+

Reaction Score
Uhhhh. Edey averaged 32 mins a game this year and his stamina was absolutely a huge reason why he won back to back national player of the year awards. DCs conditioning isn't something I think he'd want comp'd to other prospects. Edeys stamina doesn't get enough credit.
No doubt that Edey spent a lot more time on the court for Purdue this season. And he played well while doing it. That was largely out of necessity though. There was no Samson to give them quality minutes while Edey rested. But I'd still argue that his physical measurables drop off more quickly than Clingan's. Clingan might not beat him down the court in the first minute of a game, but by the 5th minute, I'd take DC in a foot race. Does that greatly impact Edey's ability to score or rebound against college-level competition? Not much. But it's the measurables that we're talking about.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No doubt that Edey spent a lot more time on the court for Purdue this season. And he played well while doing it. That was largely out of necessity though. There was no Samson to give them quality minutes while Edey rested. But I'd still argue that his physical measurables drop off more quickly than Clingan's. Clingan might not beat him down the court in the first minute of a game, but by the 5th minute, I'd take DC in a foot race. Does that greatly impact Edey's ability to score or rebound against college-level competition? Not much. But it's the measurables that we're talking about.
I think the opposite is likely true. I'd take DC in the first several races and Edey later on. I don't see stamina as a strength for Clingan. It needs to be a lot better, and it will be. The NBA has longer games and lot more of them.

Donovan has much better lateral movement than Edey. It helps him cut off lanes to the rim and redirect guys driving. He's not fast, he's not very good at guarding at the perimeter and recovering to the rim, but better than Edey at that.

Reaction Score
I see it that Bronny is being set up to win.
Apparently Bronny is at peace with the fact that teams will be drafting him as the required throw-in for the LeBron Sweepstakes. Not the way I’d want to get into the NBA if I were him but to each his own I guess.

Reaction Score
I tack on 1.5" all the time. Who's gonna call me on it?
Stop It And You GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom