NBA Draft Combine | Page 13 | The Boneyard

NBA Draft Combine

Reaction Score
Absolutely. That's said, he's not a polished offensive player at all. Some team will gamble on that (almost all picks are a gamble), but I really hoped he'd make a jump in his skill at the rim from freshman year and he didn't. He's also not as mobile as some here seem to think. Ahead of Edey for sure, but he's not Joel Embiid out there.
A year ago, you were telling people on this board how if Clingan didn't make some kind of "jump," he was a stretch to be a first round selection. Flash forward, he's a very possible top-5 pick. Now, he's "not Joel Embiid out there"? Weird stuff. Maybe save these takes for the Kansas board.

Reaction Score
Still baffles me why they ever measured in shoes, the height differential was inconsistent depending on the shoes a player wore.
I guess the counterargument here is that players do, in fact, wear shoes.

If a guy is effective on the court with 3" shoes, shouldn't he benefit from that?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I'm comparing him to the prototype in the modern NBA. The NBA has trended away from guys like Clingan for years, towards guys like Bam. The few that move more like him are generally elite on the offensive side. If his 3 develops, and it should, Brook Lopez is a decent comp for DC, enough to make him a lottery pick.

I think his ceiling is a mix of better version of Lopez plus Gobert. That’s a big time Center.

Reaction Score

If a guy is effective on the court with 3" shoes, shouldn't he benefit from that?
Was there a rule that they had to be measured in the shoes they were going to play in?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What's the size of the hand of a normal man?
No idea, but 8.6" sounded enormous until I measured mine thumb to pinky fingers spread apart as much as possible and it was 9.25". It made me think that I should probably see if I can get in the combine until I realized my vertical is probably about a foot these days.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I hope the league values that attitude as well as his physical attributes. It deserves to be rewarded.
To be a star you have to have a natural selfishness about you so I hope they see something bigger for him. He can’t defer like he did here (probably not because he wanted to but he was asked to do it). It for sure deserves to be rewarded, but now scouts ask the question if he can indeed be the guy because they didn’t see that here.

Reaction Score
Just saw this on Bleacher Report:

“No one expects Clingan to be a burner at his size, but his testing was still a bit underwhelming. He was either dead last or close to it in lane agility, shuttle run, and 3⁄4court sprint, losing to Edey in all three events. His 29-inch vertical leap was the third lowest among all players, and a couple inches below Edey.

Clingan shot the ball decently well in drills, but it’s hard to believe that’s going to translate to games. He only made 55 percent of his free throws over two years at UConn, and shot only 2-of-9 from three-point range as a college player.”

Am I the only one who finds this surprising? Watching him in the tournament, it seemed like Edey wasn’t even capable of sprinting, while DC looked way more “athletic.”

Poe

Reaction Score

This counter argument makes no sense unless they’re required to play in the same shoes their whole career that they were measured in at the combine. Total waste of time that they even did this.

Reaction Score
UConn lists players with shoes height (say +1.5 inches). Spencer at 6'3 without shoes is -> 6'4.5 with shoes. Same with Newton at 6'3.25 -> 6'4.75. If Castle is at 6'4.5 -> 6'5.75.

So UConn lists the backcourt as 6'4, 6'5, 6'6. Not terribly off the w/ shoes likely measurements.
Certainly seems more appropriate since they play in shoes

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It was smart bball people.
Allegedly ;)

I seriously question some things because I don’t know how you watch how easily he made plays for others in McD and AAU and don’t see PG.

It saddens me somewhat we couldn’t see more of that here but the championship will help me get over it.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
6’’5” with Afro. Those were they days.
be7dc6b2-9af2-47e8-98d2-649efa5b6997_text.gif

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I find it not surprising in the least that I haven't heard of any of the top combine scorers, but have heard of all of the lowest scorers.

Remember when Mike Mamula was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on the basis of his combine numbers?

Reaction Score
Just saw this on Bleacher Report:

“No one expects Clingan to be a burner at his size, but his testing was still a bit underwhelming. He was either dead last or close to it in lane agility, shuttle run, and 3⁄4court sprint, losing to Edey in all three events. His 29-inch vertical leap was the third lowest among all players, and a couple inches below Edey.

Clingan shot the ball decently well in drills, but it’s hard to believe that’s going to translate to games. He only made 55 percent of his free throws over two years at UConn, and shot only 2-of-9 from three-point range as a college player.”

Am I the only one who finds this surprising? Watching him in the tournament, it seemed like Edey wasn’t even capable of sprinting, while DC looked way more “athletic.”
I don't know exactly how they're taking these measurements, but take the sprint speed, for example. I bet after 5 minutes of game time, Edey's drops a helluva lot more than DC's. Ditto for the others. I suspect they aren't taking stamina into account.

Reaction Score
I don't know exactly how they're taking these measurements, but take the sprint speed, for example. I bet after 5 minutes of game time, Edey's drops a helluva lot more than DC's. Ditto for the others. I suspect they aren't taking stamina into account.
Edey tests well for some reason, during games he looks slow as hell though. Clingan moves way better on defense and is just a way better defensive player than him.

Reaction Score
If Castle went to Auburn or Georgia and handled their PG duties, I believe he’d be the favorite to go first overall. He sacrificed a lot taking a backseat to Newton, we all know his strong character and patience will pay off down the line.
Or Castle would be looking forward to his sophomore season at those programs or his new programs after transferring.

UConn allowed him to show off his strengths and "hide" the areas in which he needed improvement. Castle is a bet on the future (a solid one), but if he took on a larger offensive role his deficiencies would have been glaring.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Almost every comment I've seen nationally suggests the opposite, since Clingan plays a lot fewer minutes. The reality is easier to understand, when your 5 is the focal point of your offense, as it was with Edey and Hunter Dickenson, you don't ask them to do as much on the defensive end. Edey looks in good shape to me, but if he was moving more and as active on D, he'd be sitting more as well, and when he sits they don't score. Donovan will get in better shape in the NBA. Edey might be better on defense than he was able to show at Purdue.

It will be an interesting test this year, with Flory Bidunga at KU, Dickenson is going to play a lot fewer minutes. My guess is his per minute defense is going to improve, because he won't worry as much about staying on the floor for almost 40 minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom