Nazareth to remain open | The Boneyard

Nazareth to remain open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good news indeed. It is not just good news for NYC basketball. It is good news for parents and children of New York. Catholic schools in New York offer the lowest cost alternative to a private education.

I was not aware that Rice had closed.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
That's really a great story. And I have to think the late Apache Paschal had a lot to do with this outcome.

Reaction Score
Rice is closing is crazy... How are all of these powerhouses shutting down like that? Somebody is mishandling money somewhere. Rice had a full sponsorship by Nike.....just crazy. Where was all the NBA alumni to help? smh

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Rice is closing is crazy... How are all of these powerhouses shutting down like that? Somebody is mishandling money somewhere. Rice had a full sponsorship by Nike.....just crazy. Where was all the NBA alumni to help? smh

Those "powerhouses" happen to be inner city private Catholic schools that cost money to run. Not everyone who goes there is a basketball player. Most are trying to get a good education, get into college, and stay away from trouble in their neighborhoods. Some kids commute by public transportation for over a hour to get to the schools.

Rice and Nazareth may get bball subsidies from Nike, but I doubt they are contributing to the tuition for these kids, or the teachers payroll, or the school lunch programs.

I don't think there is money mismanagement, I think there is a LACK of money, plain and simple. Sad to say, this economy does not help the situation at all. Just makes the safety net a little more likely to break.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Catholic schools - especially the inner city variety - have been struggling for years. Chicago above hits the key points. The economy is part of it, the changing religous scene is I'm sure another. Anyone who saw the movie Mighty Macs saw that Immaculata College was faced with similar issues about their time in the WBB spotlight. I'm not sure of the exact time correlation, as there were some liberties with the script.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Add to the problem -- the overall money issues the Church has because of payouts they've made to abuse victims. Kids have been doubly victimized.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Chicago, Knight, and TJI all have it right. Can't mismanage cash if there ain't none

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Chicago, Knight, and TJI all have it right. Can't mismanage cash if there ain't none
And there is no cash because enrollment is way down. 80 students! That school should have far more students and will need to increase enrollment dramatically to become financially viable.. Mayne if Nike/Adidas/whoever created an endowment for a number of scholarships it would do more than giving them uniforms or shoes or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom