Navy officially joins the American today! Anchors Away | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Navy officially joins the American today! Anchors Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anyone else recall seeing ARMY - Navy on tv with Staubach QB for Navy and Rollie Stichwey qb for Army playing back to back years games that went down to last possesion? You can youtube it.

Raf46 - This one is for you! P5 or not the tradition and heritage of the academies is awesome! Happy 4th of July!

Reaction Score
Raf46 - This one is for you! P5 or not the tradition and heritage of the academies is awesome! Happy 4th of July!

CONFIDENT CARL thank you for the shout out. watching that video, gave me chills. we should never forget, that at the end of the day the games end, but our real lives go on. thanks again!

Reaction Score
Navy will kick our ass this year. How's that for optimism?

Reaction Score
I just can't will myself to excitement over anything AAC-related
SO don't bother tuning in or responding. Simple as that. You clearly got excited enough to respond.

Reaction Score
In 2015, UCONN will be playing division 1A football conference games against Navy, Tulane and SMU.

If I had made that statement 30 years ago, in 1985, the statement to immediately follow, would be, "Yeah, and monkey's will fly out of my butt."

What a long strange trip it's been.

It would be nice to win the games, whoever the frigging opponents are. Villanova, and season kickoff is 1 day closer. I hope no one lost any appendages, digits, limbs this past weekend.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I think the last time we played Navy at home, and they kicked our a$$es , I think they brought their band with them. I was hoping they would share some time with them or do a combined number like we have done some other very rare times. I think we lost an opportunity to honor servicemen (and women). I'd like to see us do this especially when we play the service academies. Does anyone remember this as well? Anyone feel like this should be mentioned to the admin?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I think the last time we played Navy at home, and they kicked our a$$es , I think they brought their band with them. I was hoping they would share some time with them or do a combined number like we have done some other very rare times. I think we lost an opportunity to honor servicemen (and women). I'd like to see us do this especially when we play the service academies. Does anyone remember this as well? Anyone feel like this should be mentioned to the admin?

November 2002, we went to Annapolis and destroyed them - shut out 30 to nothing or something. They came back to Rentschler in 2006 and put a ground game whooping on Edsall's defensive scheme that was revenge motivated (I know this personally - motive) I think is still in the record books at the top for worst rush defense ever in a single game. 500 yards on the ground alone I think - something like 10 yards per carry allowed. They destroyed our front 7. It was a nice day at the stadium in 2006, having Navy there and all the flare and pomp, except for the revenge they took on Edsall's program on the ground game.

I hope the next visit by Navy to Rentschler this Sept turns out differently - better- than the last.

Reaction Score
How about the band issue? Do you remember them brining their band? What do you think about the idea of sharing time/joint performances?

Reaction Score
How about the band issue? Do you remember them brining their band? What do you think about the idea of sharing time/joint performances?

I think that if there is interest, in doing joint performance - this should definitely be explored by both UCONN and Navy. I think it's probably smart to send your questions directly to somebody at the school involved with the band or football administration. I'm pretty sure Diaco has brought on a new admin staff, but Andy Baylock is still kicking around. All you need to do is call any football athletic number and ask for Andy Baylock, and they will know who he is.

I do love the band, the band is always part of college football, but I'm much more concerned about our ability to compete on the field. Army is going to get their shot first, and if we can't show anything worthwhile against Nova and Army at home, by the time Navy rolls in late September, there won't be many people to entertain at halftime, other than the band and team parents anyway.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

2006. I broke my arm the night before using my brother-in-laws riding mower. I was heavily sedated for the game which made it tolerable.
I believe Navy scored on the first play they ran in the game and the first play they ran in the second half too.

Reaction Score
2006. I broke my arm the night before using my brother-in-laws riding mower. I was heavily sedated for the game which made it tolerable.
I believe Navy scored on the first play they ran in the game and the first play they ran in the second half too.

Yup. First offensive play from scrimmage for Navy in both halves went for TD's. Our offense did what it was capable of that day with the players we had, but our defense and some defensive players that went on to the NFL and some of which are still NFL'ers, got gashed. Explosion after explosion big plays out of the option. Paul Johnson, did not like Randy Edsall's post game comments about his knowledge of defending the option from the 2002 game.

Reaction Score

I don't speak for the band, but when I was in the UCMB I would have loved every second of sharing an on the field performance with Navy. I personally like when any school brought their band with them. We always got to meet them after and everyone was always pretty nerdy like me.

Reaction Score
My recollection of Navy's band was that it is more of a military band than UConns performance style. That might be why they didn't perform together. I also just think it is one of those thing that doesn't happen any more.

Reaction Score
November 2002, we went to Annapolis and destroyed them - shut out 30 to nothing or something. They came back to Rentschler in 2006 and put a ground game whooping on Edsall's defensive scheme that was revenge motivated (I know this personally - motive) I think is still in the record books at the top for worst rush defense ever in a single game. 500 yards on the ground alone I think - something like 10 yards per carry allowed. They destroyed our front 7. It was a nice day at the stadium in 2006, having Navy there and all the flare and pomp, except for the revenge they took on Edsall's program on the ground game.

I hope the next visit by Navy to Rentschler this Sept turns out differently - better- than the last.
The 2002 game Is a vivid memory ,not from watching it but from a rare bonding moment of allegedly indifferent Connecticut residents.
I am a huge UConn BB ,fan but was luke warm, to actually opposed to UConn going FSB. Espepecially as a Connecticut Taxpayer and someone who didn't believe the state would embrace the sport.
I was returning from Caribbean cruise ,sitting in San Juan PR airport waiting for a return flight to Bradley. The flight was a little late and there was a significant group of people waiting to board. To occupy the crowd someone was giving football scores over the PA system.
When the UConn Navy result was announced a huge roar went up from the crowd.
People where highfiving each other and the sense of pride in being a Connecticut resident was huge . I remember it almost approached the collective joy of winning the NC in 1999. Maybe it was exaggerated because we were away from home ,but it changed my mind about the potential for UConn football success and what it would mean to the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom