National POY? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

National POY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She was never triple or quadruple teamed. She was guarded ptp with swapping and help. UCONN's D was very effective.

Reaction Score
If Breanna gets her 4 national championships, and never wins a NPOY in her 4 years at UConn, as long as she becomes the best basketball player she can be under Geno, she'll be happy. The only recognition Breanna would like, is after 4 years, Geno to say well done Stewie.

Last edited:

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
While I think you are spot on with Mavunga (She is a force), I have to disagree on your Sims post above. I know it's only one game but I think if anything the game demonstrated that Sims may have been somewhat over rated and her teammates under rated. 4 for 25 from the field ?? And if she was "tripled and quadrupled teamed", than having only 4 assists and 7 turnovers in 36 minutes is just a further indictment of her play in that game.
She has put up some impressive numbers this year but against a very, very weak (outside of Kentucky and UConn) schedule. They only have 4 games left on the schedule against decent teams (2 each vs OK St and ISU). It will be interesting to see how she does in those games.
Good points rvw... But I have watched her entire career- and she is a game changer like few others. She dominated internationally this summer. She single handedly almost won the Louisville game last year, willing them back from 18+- down. I agree she didnt make some good decisions and threw up some hail mary's. But, too say she is not the absolute best point guard in the country is just wrong IMO. I don't love her personally, but she is a force like few others- totally intimidating and great.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
She was never triple or quadruple teamed. She was guarded ptp with swapping and help. UCONN's D was very effective.
Ib- I noticed many times after she beat her defender, and three players collapsing often? I may have used the wrong term-

Reaction Score
Good points rvw... But I have watched her entire career- and she is a game changer like few others. She dominated internationally this summer. She single handedly almost won the Louisville game last year, willing them back from 18+- down. I agree she didnt make some good decisions and threw up some hail mary's. But, too say she is not the absolute best point guard in the country is just wrong IMO. I don't love her personally, but she is a force like few others- totally intimidating and great.

As I said, It's only one game and she is putting up huge scoring numbers in her other games. I didn't (and I don't think anyone else did either, though I could have missed the post) say she wasn't the best point guard in the country. I only said she was "somewhat over rated". It's hard to imagine a player that was supposed to be that great having such an awful game on her home floor. I think such a performance would have to lower her rank at least a little bit. Maybe from great to very good.
But I will say this, without fear of contradiction. She was NOT the best point guard in the Baylor-UConn game. Mo was

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ib- I noticed many times after she beat her defender, and three players collapsing often? I may have used the wrong term-
That is help defense and is something UCONN and all good defensive teams do to a player penetrating past the first and second defender. Watch ND, they do it very well. Baylor was do a similar effect collapsing on Stef or Stewie in the lane.

Reaction Score

Aha. That's exactly when a smart player lets them come and dumps the ball off for easy lay ups - happens all the time and plays are designed to "force" defenders to leave their "man".

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Aha. That's exactly when a smart player lets them come and dumps the ball off for easy lay ups - happens all the time and plays are designed to "force" defenders to leave their "man".
And why working on defensive rotation is so important and is something UCONN does so well.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A couple of things to consider when your talking about Sims and Chiney. You need to look at who theyre playing. Against weak teams who are traditionally slow on defense they can light it up. Also opponents without height they can score on fairly easy. Both are the their teams go to player and almost only threat to score a lot of points. At UConn its different. There are many scorers and UConn has played great against top teams and KML was out which will hurt her in the POY voting and Breanna has put up so good numbers. So although theyre averaging high numbers voters need to look at who they played and whether it was home or away. Big difference. When Breanna catches on fire and Sims and Chiney hit their slumps peoples opinions will change.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A couple of things to consider when your talking about Sims and Chiney. You need to look at who theyre playing. Against weak teams who are traditionally slow on defense they can light it up.

I like the way the late Randy Smith put it, do you judge players on how they perform against the varsity or the JV?

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
And why working on defensive rotation is so important and is something UCONN does so well.
Yes they are, and that is where they usually taking away so many of the passing lanes and the attempted kick ots after penetration.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I like the way the late Randy Smith put it, do you judge players on how they perform against the varsity or the JV?
I also think it is a bit easier to look good and in control when you have 6 or 7 All Americans around you and a very veteran team as well that the entire team has already won a National Championship.

Reaction Score
If she was "triple and quadruple teamed", that means 2 or 3 other players were open and she should have ended up with more than 4 puny assists."
UConn's players are able to triple team and cover their assignment simultaneously. Sorry, it's just the way it is.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well, everyone on this board stated that UCONN had the talent to shut Sims down, which they did. Her shooting was pathetic and I give UCONN the credit for that. They forced her into bad shots and she took what the defense was giving her. Isn't that what the best defense in the country is supposed to do? Is Chiney disqualified since she only had 17 points against UCONN?

If Stewart played for Baylor instead of Sims, how many points do you think she would get? I've already said that I think Stewart is the best player in the country, but she also has the benefit of having two other AAs on her team.

Maybe Nina Davis should be the POY. She shot 5-10 from the floor against the bigs of UCONN and grabbed 17 rebounds.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks rvw. I was just about to throw our Bonn_Bonn's name into the discussion of the next two years. Stewart and KML might not even be the best players in a UConn uniform. If MoJeff continues to progress at the rate she has, she could end up being one of the best PGs in the history of wbb. I have yet to see any indication of what the ceiling for Bonn_Bonn is. It could be NPOY. It could be higher than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom