National POY? | The Boneyard

National POY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
As of now: I think Sims has a solid edge over Chiney. Should Baylor upset UConn and Odyssey plays well, she becomes a near-lock...imo. If she plays well and Baylor loses, she increases her lead over Chiney.

I think it is basically between those two as of now. Stewie? Next year!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: I wonder if potential high school NPOY down the road will be in the house...checking out Baylor and UConn?

Lauren Cox....#1 2016'er...6'4"...she is from Texas....not sure of the town.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree. If Odyssey has a big game tonight, she's the clear leader. But the season's only half over. If Baylor loses 4+ and Odyssey has some off games, she may not win. If Stanford keeps winning and Chiney gets 30 and 15 often, she'll challenge. Stewie needs lots of really big games to compete. If she simply takes over games, as against Cal, she has a chance. Thomas may get some consideration. On the AP 5-player team, look for those 4 to be nearly unanimous. KML missed too many games and has not put up big enough numbers.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Agreed. It's not necessarily about the best player, or most talented player. In the WNBA it's MVP. Most valuable player to her team. But in college, it's the NPOY. National player of the year. Sometimes it's the best player AND the player with the best statistics, but also there is bit of politics and momentum for one player or another. I think Simms has the momentum right now and has the edge. It would be hard to award it to sophomore Stewie unless she were averaging about 22+ PPG and doing jaw dropping things every week...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Stewie won't win POY this year. Chiney and Odyssey have a big lead and voters will say without those two players, their teams wouldn't win as much as they do. UConn can still win without Stewie.

Reaction Score
No one on UConn will win NPOY award the next 3 years. The only important thing to the UConn team, and players is cutting down the nets, after the National Championship Game. Three more National Championships is all its about.

Reaction Score
Have we forgotten poor Stef already? She really is the best center in the game at this point in the season.
Thanks for stating that Nan. For some reason Stef is is never mentioned in any conversation. Geno knows her true worth !

HGN

Reaction Score
Stewie looks at the Big picture. This is not Stewie's year for NPOY. Stewie wants to prove that last year's NC was no fluke and thus wants another one. Also , she appears to desire International Honors and recognition more than national honors. Individual national honors are nice and desired but she is a Team First player. She has said all she wants to do is contribute whatever she can toward a win for the UConn team. And that what she does first and foremost.

Individual recognition and honors , International and National , will come as long as she keeps doing her thing the way she does.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As of now: I think Sims has a solid edge over Chiney. Should Baylor upset UConn and Odyssey plays well, she becomes a near-lock...imo. If she plays well and Baylor loses, she increases her lead over Chiney.

I think it is basically between those two as of now. Stewie? Next year!

Anyone who watched that "performance" Monday and still votes for Sims should lose their vote. If Sims is the player of the year, they should just abolish the sport.

Reaction Score
No one on UConn will win NPOY award the next 3 years. The only important thing to the UConn team, and players is cutting down the nets, after the National Championship Game. Three more National Championships is all its about.

National Championships are very important and should be the #1 priority for UCONN, but to say noone on UCONN will win the NPOY award the next 3 years is wrong. I'm willing to place a bet that either Breanna Stewart or KML will win the award next year.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
One game does not make or break a candidate...imo. Based on his comments Geno would be voting for Odyssey.

Reaction Score
Sims and Ogwumike are the obvious front runners. I think Stefanie deserves to be up for NPOY. Breanna has been too inconsistent this year. Stefanie has been great but too much attention to Breanna hurts her chance. When every announcer drools over Breanna, some people think Stef isn't even the best on her team, how could she be the NPOY? The other drawback with Stef is that with the balance UCONN has, Stef can sit out most games and it wouldn't stop UCONN from winning. Sit down Sims or Ogwumike and each of those teams becomes unranked.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The race is very close this year. If Odyssey averages 35 in the Big 12, which I suspect she will, she will probably get the nod. But it is hard to ignore CO's rebounding stats.

Although I think Stewart may have more talent than any other player in the country, I am not sure that she is having the type of season that is garnering a lot of attention. She is just quietly going about dominating almost every game.

Reaction Score
It's Sims and it's not even close. Coach Auriemma said the same thing, and he's got a pretty good eye for these sorts of things.

Reaction Score
No one on UConn will win NPOY award the next 3 years.

I don't see anyone beating Stewie next year. Except maybe KML.

This year's senior class is very deep. Not even sure what other underclassmen are out there. J Loyd ... who else? Some of the NC kids may get attention next year.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

This year's senior class is very deep. Not even sure what other underclassmen are out there. J Loyd ... who else? Some of the NC kids may get attention next year.

:)

HGN

Reaction Score
I too think its clearly between Sims and Chiney, as it should be. With Sims in the lead. But Stefanie , Thomas , and Stewie should receive a few 3rd and 4th place votes. KML has just missed too many games at the mid point in the season.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Anyone who watched that "performance" Monday and still votes for Sims should lose their vote. If Sims is the player of the year, they should just abolish the sport.
Why do you think she was triple and quadruple teamed ? Yes- She should have distributed more in first half. She almost beat us with 4 new starters. She is the best player at her position - bar none! If Cheney could hit a jump shot- she might be!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score

Not only Diamond- but that Stephanie Mavunga is a talent and a force! The real deal! I think we recruited Mavunga hard- we really wanted her I believe!

Reaction Score
Not only Diamond- but that Stephanie Mavunga is a talent and a force! The real deal! I think we recruited Mavunga hard- we really wanted her I believe!

While I think you are spot on with Mavunga (She is a force), I have to disagree on your Sims post above. I know it's only one game but I think if anything the game demonstrated that Sims may have been somewhat over rated and her teammates under rated. 4 for 25 from the field ?? And if she was "tripled and quadrupled teamed", than having only 4 assists and 7 turnovers in 36 minutes is just a further indictment of her play in that game.
She has put up some impressive numbers this year but against a very, very weak (outside of Kentucky and UConn) schedule. They only have 4 games left on the schedule against decent teams (2 each vs OK St and ISU). It will be interesting to see how she does in those games.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
First of all Sims and Chiney both had poor games against UConn however both have been consistent against other teams. Both imo have had pretty weak schedules which does help. Breanna has been off the past couple of games, but then so has UConn offensively. If Breanna gets on a roll and Sims and Chiney falter then Breanna wins.

One thing about Mondays game. Sims tried to do it all by herself. I remember Diana in big games did her thing big while getting everybody else involved. Diana had a flar for the dramatic. When a big play had to be made she made it whether it was an impossible shot or a terrific pass she got the job done. On Monday the Baylor team reminded me of Dianas (senior year) team. A bunch of underclassman who she lead to the NC. Diana took over the game while getting her team mates involved. Some of the crazy shots she took and made under pressure when she needed to is something that no one else has done. That's why she is the greatest WCBB ever.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why do you think she was triple and quadruple teamed ? ... She almost beat us with 4 new starters.

If she was "triple and quadruple teamed", that means 2 or 3 other players were open and she should have ended up with more than 4 puny assists. The rest of the team shoots better than her 16%. But I didn't see much triple teaming.

"She" didn't almost beat us. Baylor team defense kept them in the game. The POY shot them out of the game. I hope the Sun doesn't pick her first. They probably will since any trace of front office competence left that organization when the fired the coach last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom