Napier's Shot Trajectory Much Flatter Now | The Boneyard

Napier's Shot Trajectory Much Flatter Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been looking at some game video from early in the year, and also from last year. When Bazz is shooting well from distance, his shots have a lot more arc on them, falling softly on the rim or hitting all net. Over the past two months, his shots are much flatter and consistently clang off the back rim. The difference is dramatic.

Coincidentally, Deandre's shots have increased in arc, and his percentages have gone way up of late.

Reaction Score
The thing I have noticed is that, several times a game, he takes a "quick" shot, where he shoots and then immediately and quickly pulls his hands back, with no follow through, as if he's quickening his motion to get his shot off over a close defender. Sometimes he does this when he's open. % of those going in . . . none.

Reaction Score
Napier clearly has regressed in technique. He is really flailing. Confidence on jumper is nil. Top shooters know they will hurt you. Napier is hoping to hurt you. Shot selection is not good enough. Energy level is decreased. At the beginning of joe game during a lull in the action he had the visage of stress and doom and maybe pain. Pain could be the key word. Too many minutes have had a cumulative result and it's not good.

Reaction Score
Agree. Would love to see him shift focus just a little toward getting assists. Brimah gets open in the lane a lot, presents himself to receive a pass, but it never comes.
I will say this, as bad as Napier's outside shooting has been, he's a magician around the basket. There's not shot he can't make going to the basket.

Reaction Score
Napier clearly has regressed in technique. He is really flailing. Confidence on jumper is nil. Top shooters know they will hurt you. Napier is hoping to hurt you. Shot selection is not good enough. Energy level is decreased. At the beginning of joe game during a lull in the action he had the visage of stress and doom and maybe pain. Pain could be the key word. Too many minutes have had a cumulative result and it's not good.

Makes you wonder about him in the NBA with their stressful schedule. I think without having the burden of carrying the team along with support to rest him (decreased minutes) would be advantageous for him at the next level.

Reaction Score
Agree. Would love to see him shift focus just a little toward getting assists. Brimah gets open in the lane a lot, presents himself to receive a pass, but it never comes.
I will say this, as bad as Napier's outside shooting has been, he's a magician around the basket. There's not shot he can't make going to the basket.

He had 6 assists last night (game high) and a few more times he hit an open guy who didn't make the shot. Sometimes he does make up his mind to go to the basket to score but he definitely looks for his teammates.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Needs to find ways to utilize his pull up jumper from the elbow. He's money from there. Dont settle for 3s

Reaction Score
It wasnt that long ago he hit 7 threes in a game. Im not worried Bazz has had shooting slumps in the past, just bad timing that it happens now and the AAC tourny. I think Bembry's length bothered Bazz as most taller guards usually do to him. He's a warrior and will be fine.

Reaction Score
OH come on people! Yeah, when he has an off night his shot is flat. That's true with any baskeball player. He has been the rock of this team all season. Teams are guarding him harder and he still makes the shots on "most" days.
Earlier in the season he wasnt guarded as tough. I think its rediculous to say he has regressed. He is considered to be one of the top 3 PG's in the country. Watch him light it up vs. Vill. Off night is an off night. You're arent top 3 in the country by regressing or being off a half a season. Get with it people.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
I think the flatness is entirely due to his wrist. Follow through is all in the wrist.

Reaction Score
The thing I have noticed is that, several times a game, he takes a "quick" shot, where he shoots and then immediately and quickly pulls his hands back, with no follow through, as if he's quickening his motion to get his shot off over a close defender. Sometimes he does this when he's open. % of those going in . . . none.

I understand the observation you're making but that's not the issue. He's been taking (and making) those types of shots all season, and basically his entire career. Particularly when he shoots a step-back with a bigger dude on him, he always drops his hands like that.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I've been looking at some game video from early in the year, and also from last year. When Bazz is shooting well from distance, his shots have a lot more arc on them, falling softly on the rim or hitting all net. Over the past two months, his shots are much flatter and consistently clang off the back rim. The difference is dramatic.

Coincidentally, Deandre's shots have increased in arc, and his percentages have gone way up of late.
I think he has a broken or dislocated pinky on his shooting hand

Reaction Score
I understand the observation you're making but that's not the issue. He's been taking (and making) those types of shots all season, and basically his entire career. Particularly when he shoots a step-back with a bigger dude on him, he always drops his hands like that.
I didn't mean "drops" his hands. I mean it looks like he "pokes" the shot. Kinda like what you'd do if there was something sticky on your hands - push them out and snap them back quickly. Just no follow through. It looks different to me than what he's done in the past. Could be wrong of course, just what I'm seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom