Napheesa | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Napheesa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Glad you liked it. I guess saying all of the issues were fixable and she is going to be an AA wasn't positive enough.
It made my night! It tickled me!!!! :)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It made my night! It tickled me!!!! :)
If you think that was funny then you should've heard me during karaoke night. Four people filed for protective orders.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou is playing because Katie Lou is the best person to be the fifth starter. Without her outside shot, her ability to pass and her ability to drive, other teams would clog the lane even more and dare UConn to make 3s, which we haven't been all that successful at. Lou's also gotten much better on the defensive end while Napheesa hasn't gotten much better on the offensive end.

Reaction Score
Jordy- that is the most ominous incredible and negative recommendation of a player I've ever read- she's a freshman. Bottom line - she is a complete unbridled Thorobred, and not only is she an off the charts athlete, she has a nose for the ball and makes things happen whenever she's on the court. She will be playing 38 minutes a game w KLS and Gabby and Kia next yr.

I agree, there is really nothing not to like about Collier, her skill set is obvious. I too share the excitement in her future. Too see what she has been able to do as a freshman suggests that she will be major player at this program. I even feel safe in suggesting that she will average a double/double her next 3yrs here.
If UConn can land a strong post player and another good big player, it will free up Napheesa to move around and get good shots. Would also free up KLS to move around as well. But without a strong center, other teams will double up on both of them, and especially clog the middle. Could be rough...

I think the Huskies have their center in Natalie Butler, make no mistake the player you've seen this season will not resemble the player that will leave this program.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I agree, there is really nothing not to like about Collier, her skill set is obvious. . . .
I think the Huskies have their center in Natalie Butler, make no mistake. . . .

You can say that again!:):) Oh, wait,,,,:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If UConn can land a strong post player and another good big player, it will free up Napheesa to move around and get good shots. Would also free up KLS to move around as well. But without a strong center, other teams will double up on both of them, and especially clog the middle. Could be rough...
Who is the center this year?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I too expected more from Napheesa this year, but I can see it coming. I was overhyped about her when Geno made her a starter and disappointed when she couldn't hold it.
Big girls take longer to adjust to the next level than guards. They're used to just being the biggest or strongest player on the court but now posts are even bigger and faster than they are. They need to learn more about positioning, passing, and defending all while getting shoved around by stronger, more experience players. Think of Tina and Asjha, who were really good as freshmen and sophomores, but didn't become superstars until their junior years. Napheesa has shown flashes of the player she'll eventually be and it has me excited for her future.

Reaction Score
I think it's already be said in this thread, but I want to make it clear. Lou got the opportunity because Geno was playing around with different combinations and eventually felt that Napheesa was packing the post too tightly on offense for Stewie to get room to move. Morgan is a pro at getting in and out of the way, and Gabbie is explosive in the paint. But Napheesa didn't yet have the experience of being a subordinate, rather than dominant player, and her tendency to stay within 8-10' of the basket clogged things up, even as it got her an incredible number of rebounds. If Morgan doesn't return (boo hoo!), she and Natalie down low will vacuum everything.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Katie Lou is playing because Katie Lou is the best person to be the fifth starter. Without her outside shot, her ability to pass and her ability to drive, other teams would clog the lane even more and dare UConn to make 3s, which we haven't been all that successful at. Lou's also gotten much better on the defensive end while Napheesa hasn't gotten much better on the offensive end.
If KLS was not our next potential KML and a natural outside
I agree, there is really nothing not to like about Collier, her skill set is obvious. I too share the excitement in her future. Too see what she has been able to do as a freshman suggests that she will be major player at this program. I even feel safe in suggesting that she will average a double/double her next 3yrs here.

I think the Huskies have their center in Natalie Butler, make no mistake the player you've seen this season will not resemble the player that will leave this program.
tony- I'd like to share your optimism about Natalie. Her ability to hit 8-12' onside jump shots gives me some hope. Not sure she becomes a N Championship center. I hope I'm wrong. She's really a junior that's been practicing with us for two years. We'll see. I love her- her personality reminds me of Steph!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I don't agree that KLS would have had the nod or inside track to be the 5th player starter unless she had the ability to be our next KML and spread the floor. And don't believe me, Geno's been saying all year that until they start making higher % and more three's- they are vulnerable. KLS has improved dramatically this year- no doubt. The offensive flow especially. Gd def and rebounding. Gabby is a dynamite first off the bench player. Collier is the much more athletic and aggressive and active defender and rebounder on both ends of the floor. Our weakness was not being able to spread the floor- hence KLS inside track. If Saniya were able to play defense. This spot may have been hers, because of the really good defenders behind her. To dismiss her 3 pt ability/ potential as the reason is ludicrous. That's why Dangerfield will play so much next year. We need her ready her soph yr to get the rest of the team to a Nat Championship gae hopefully.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm really looking forward to next year
If Geno can continue his run with a very talented but superstar-free squad,
he is without a doubt the Wizard of Hartford.
Pheese is a very important piece of that equation.
A big, big, talent, she has played a bit soft this year and has admitted to being among the weakest physically in situ.
Surely that will change.
But with Morgan (we can hope) Nurse, Gabby and the two frosh...there is the essence of a team that can continue to be world-beaters...
Of course, there is the added difficulty of an Olympic Year (if it actually takes place).
But I predict, that by mid-year, this group will be as tough and hard-nosed as any recent squad...if a bit less gifted.
Still good enough for a strong run at a National Championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom