Napheesa Collier Can Leave for the WNBA After Her Junior Year, Will She? | The Boneyard

Napheesa Collier Can Leave for the WNBA After Her Junior Year, Will She?

Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck said she was staying right up until the point that she didn't.
That's not true. There were some people on this board that ran with something she said right after the championship game with ND about staying, but when media day rolled around in September, she gave interviews with mixed signals though the prevailing feeling here was one of denial. A couple months later it was the worst kept secret that she was leaving.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck said she was staying right up until the point that she didn't.
Actually, Morgan Tuck did not discuss it most of her senior year. She was asked right after UConn won the championship by an ESPN reporter and looked as if she was caught off guard by the question. Stewie jumped in and said something like, "It's a secret" changing the subject and getting Tuck off the hook. The next day, Tuck announced on ESPN that she was going pro.

I believe that Stewie, Mo and Geno all knew for some time that Tuck was going pro, and Geno probably asked her to hold the announcement until after the tournament.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Actually, Morgan Tuck did not discuss it most of her senior year. She was asked right after UConn won the championship by an ESPN reporter and looked as if she was caught off guard by the question. Stewie jumped in and said something like, "It's a secret" changing the subject and getting Tuck off the hook. The next day, Tuck announced on ESPN that she was going pro.

I believe that Stewie, Mo and Geno all knew for some time that Tuck was going pro, and Geno probably asked her to hold the announcement until after the tournament.
Did Tuck participate in the 2016 senior day ceremonies with Stewie and the other seniors?

Reaction Score
If UConn does not win the National Championship next year, 0.0% chance she leaves early. If UConn does win, then ask the question again this time next year!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't have any direct info from Morgan, but I think the key factors were:

-Closeness to Mo and Stewie.

-The possibility/likelihood that they would be the first teammates to go 1-2-3 in the draft.

-The January injury that caused her to miss 4 games or so, combined with her lifelong dream of playing in the WNBA. I think she may have thought she had limited wear and tear remaining on her knees.

If you look at Pheesa's situation, it's very different. It would be 3 vs. 4 years, not 4 vs. 5 years. Plus, she values education and her commitment to Geno, her teammates, and the university.

In terms of the factors I listed for Morgan:

-Pheesa is not leaving without Lou.

-Pheesa, Lou, and Azura could repeat the 1-2-3 draft sequence.

Nothing is certain, but I think Pheesa stays, with a 95% probability.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Did Tuck participate in the 2016 senior day ceremonies with Stewie and the other seniors?
Yes, although she did not definitively say at that time that she would go pro. Geno made it clear that you get 1 senior day only, so Tuck chose to celebrate senior day with the players she came in with. In contrast, Nat chose not to celebrate senior day this year indicating the likelihood that she is coming back next season.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Once again silly questions with obvious answers.

That's for sure. With Tuck , the 2 big reasons she left were she was a medical redshirt and wanted to leave with her 2 team mates Stewie and MoJeff . Also her health was a factor and wanted to try to taste the pro life before another potential career ending injury. Neither of those situations applies to Napheesa. She will stay.

Reaction Score
Morgan graduated with her class. There was nothing more for her to do at UConn. Also, with her injuries, she wanted to make sure she lived her dream of playing in the WNBA. Morgan did what was right for her. Have a speedy recovery, Morgan. We miss you.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Her parents aren't in need of money, nor is she. She hasn't (so far) incurred an injury which threatens to shorten her career, and she has seen herself improve exponentially each year. What motivation would she have to leave the best situation she'll see in her basketball career?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Pheesa told Adamec she isn't leaving early. That is that. End of discussion.
Totally agree. These continuous "will she leave early" discussions are almost as eye-rolling as speculating on who may or may not transfer... :rolleyes:

I'm sure there are some on here who may remember better than me, but aside from Ariel Powers, Jewell Loyd, and Amanda Zahui, how many players have actually left before staying in college for 4 years? Parker, Tuck, and a bunch of others left with eligibility left, but they had reasons and had been in college for all 4 years.

It seems that most players could be eligible to leave early after their junior years. Maybe it will become the norm as we move forward, but in the history of WCBB, only a handful have left after only 3 years of college.

Why people continue to speculate that these UCONN kids "could" leave is beyond me. Tuck was an enormous exception in that she wanted to graduate with the 2 other close friends she started college with. I'll be stunned if a UCONN player EVER leaves after only 3 years of college, barring some personal family issue.

Reaction Score
Glad we can now worry about Napheesa possibly leaving early.I sit here with a 500 yard,vacuous stare and even the next three days on the calendar say w-t-f,and am alerted about this great player being eligible to leave.By fall i might be in fine fettle to receive this,but now? I finally got over the 2014 Stanford loss a few months ago and whammo,another loss and guess what,in a few years there will be another loss and everyone will have to go through this distressing torture again.Geeesh

Reaction Score
Charlie--as much as I usually like your posting---I wish you hadn't put this to internet. It's a terrible thought -at the moment.
It is something to think about this time next year.
Too many factors pro and con to stay or go---no point putting thoughts in her head, or her teammates. Assuming she's allowed to read the By.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. These continuous "will she leave early" discussions are almost as eye-rolling as speculating on who may or may not transfer... :rolleyes:

I'm sure there are some on here who may remember better than me, but aside from Ariel Powers, Jewell Loyd, and Amanda Zahui, how many players have actually left before staying in college for 4 years? Parker, Tuck, and a bunch of others left with eligibility left, but they had reasons and had been in college for all 4 years.

It seems that most players could be eligible to leave early after their junior years. Maybe it will become the norm as we move forward, but in the history of WCBB, only a handful have left after only 3 years of college.

Why people continue to speculate that these UCONN kids "could" leave is beyond me. Tuck was an enormous exception in that she wanted to graduate with the 2 other close friends she started college with. I'll be stunned if a UCONN player EVER leaves after only 3 years of college, barring some personal family issue.

Women unlike men , who get 23 cents more per dollar than women --also get WAY more as Male BB players---the lucky Women played for Uconn or Tenn or some top ten team and got NAME recognition--and thus a media job, or played 10 years in Europe--most have to rely on that College degree to create a financially sound future--and some are not so lucky. So they stay 4 years and hope the pay off is really as advertised.

I will never be shocked that a player Uconn or otherwise jumps for the rainbow---but Geno is pretty good in explaining their options and as pointed out above --Uconn kids, especially top players, do better than the average bear.

The vast majority of women and Men bb players ---never see the gold--or the green. It is a reality that few are told as they get recruited.

Reaction Score
Women unlike men , who get 23 cents more per dollar than women --also get WAY more as Male BB players---the lucky Women played for Uconn or Tenn or some top ten team and got NAME recognition--and thus a media job, or played 10 years in Europe--most have to rely on that College degree to create a financially sound future--and some are not so lucky. So they stay 4 years and hope the pay off is really as advertised.

I will never be shocked that a player Uconn or otherwise jumps for the rainbow---but Geno is pretty good in explaining their options and as pointed out above --Uconn kids, especially top players, do better than the average bear.

The vast majority of women and Men bb players ---never see the gold--or the green. It is a reality that few are told as they get recruited.
NO she will be here her senior year.

Reaction Score
By Carl Adamec | Mar 31 | 7:00PM
But before Husky Nation begins to panic, the All-America forward said Thursday she has no plans to move on until her eligibility is done in 2019.

"I'm not going anywhere," Collier said as UConn got ready to face Mississippi State in a NCAA Final Four semifinal game at the American Airlines Center Friday night. "I want to stay and have my college experience. That lasts four years."

Reaction Score
NO she will be here her senior year.
No what???? Where in the posting does it SAY, INFER, IMPLY, or otherwise state that Napheesa may or will leave??

Just to refresh you memory:
This is the posting you were replying to---where in does it mention Ms Collier??? Please highlight it?????

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom