Names on unis | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Names on unis

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
There is this thing that I find repulsive with women's basketball coverage on TV, not SNY, that the announcers talk and talk and talk about everything except the game. If that happened in the men's games, they would be off the air in one game. It's really sexist, as though they are implicitly stating that the women's games are not interesting enough so we have to add to it. They frequently make wrong calls, don't give you important information like the number of fouls, don't know the players, and are just annoying background noise. I don't know how it changes. They don't need names on the jerseys, they should know the players, it's their job.
You mean like when Pam Ward commented on Aaliyah Edwards hair/braids and that she maybe be doing it as a fan of the Minnesota Vikings. Anyone that followed AE in the least knew why she has her hair purple and gold.

Reaction Score
You mean like when Pam Ward commented on Aaliyah Edwards hair/braids and that she maybe be doing it as a fan of the Minnesota Vikings. Anyone that followed AE in the least knew why she has her hair purple and gold.
Does Pam Ward make the same sort of comments about Boston’s two toned hair or is she just anti-UConn? I just spent about 5 minutes looking up Pam Ward on the internet. Believe it or not I found an unfavorable write up on her from 2008 on a website called.......wait for it.....awful-announcers.com

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
A couple of observations from a long time fan who also likes the fact only the school name is on the jersey.
1. You can always use new and more fans so yes, keep building the brand, especially by winning!
2. Marketing absolutely is what the school wants to do and wants to raise more revenue, especially when its Athletic Department is in the red.

Here’s a compromise, sell the jerseys to the fans with them names on the, like the Yankees do. Then the fans can buy the jerseys from the era they loved and match them with the other eras- 3 “Taurasi”; 3 “Tuck”, 3 “Edwards”!
Tiffany Hayes

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
They mentioned Edwards brother… I thought it was in honor of Kobe

Reaction Score
It is a constant reminder that the name on the front is the one that matters, Geno has softened many rules over the years, but this seems like one that will never change.
Yeah it’s Old School and tradition… suppose to keep them humble.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yeah it’s Old School and tradition… suppose to keep them humble.
Humble is wack these days, being bold is the way to the top! Be humble later on after the goal is reached

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
never liked it with the yankees or giants either, dodgers tried it one season it was a total disaster.......DISASTER?? Today's Dodger game(looks like a name ).
1649653137330.png

Reaction Score
It is in honor of Kobe, there was an interview with her of her saying that.

No mention of Kobe. Did you make that up? It’s for her brother who was a Laker fan. Around 3:40-44 of video.

Reaction Score

No mention of Kobe. Did you make that up? It’s for her brother who was a Laker fan. Around 3:40-44 of video.

No it's true. Just Google her name and Kobe and the first article that comes up tells you about it.

Reaction Score
No it's true. Just Google her name and Kobe and the first article that comes up tells you about it.
Listen to her words not something written by someone else. Watch the video. @ScottCT

Reaction Score
If more people can identify them the more they can connect with the team and the players. It would help build the brand.
If you watch games, and follow the team, you would KNOW their names. If you are an occasional viewer, why do you need to know them?
The Yankees don't have names on their jerseys either. If you are a diehard fan, you KNOW their names.

Reaction Score
Not new, I just understand marketing. You can never have enough fans, you can never have enough exposure, enough followers on social media. That's why Paige gets the Gatorade ad money. Wrong, purists?
Yes, you are wrong.
She accomplished without her name on her uniform, or any UConn trademarks mentioned, seen, or heard in her ads. Study up..and ask the Yankees why they don't wear their names on their uniforms. Ya think they need more exposure?

Reaction Score
Wouldn't the place on the back of the uniforms for the names and sometimes numbers be blocked by the long hairstyles and braids anyway (this applies to many men's players throughout the NCAA as well) so isn't this a moot point?

Reaction Score
I was watching the game with Mercer yesterday with a friend who was not familiar with the UConn team. He kept asking me to identify a player as the announcers (CBS) would never mention who was doing what. It seemed that they were too busy telling their stories rather than provide a basic play-by-play. This has occurred more than once, the FOX Sports broadcasters would do this, too. I think it would help if the players had their names on their jerseys.
More than once? I suggest its a regular feature of WBB coverage with most every broadcaster. On a FloHoops offering earlier this season the announcers sounded like 2 women chatting in their living room with a game on the tv in the background. At one point, while going on about who knows what, one of them lost their train of thought and actually said: "I'm sorry, I was distracted by the action on the floor!" I've come the conclusion that I'd prefer a lone announcer. I don't need the "color", I just want the data. A lone announcer talks about the game, multiple announcers talk to each other.

Reaction Score
I was watching the game with Mercer yesterday with a friend who was not familiar with the UConn team. He kept asking me to identify a player as the announcers (CBS) would never mention who was doing what. It seemed that they were too busy telling their stories rather than provide a basic play-by-play. This has occurred more than once, the FOX Sports broadcasters would do this, too. I think it would help if the players had their names on their jerseys.
Yeah, no... I think it would be better to let Geno run UCONN the way he wants... with no names.... because it is a team, not an individual.

Reaction Score
Will never happen. UConn isn’t going to change a policy to compensate for incompetent announcers.
I agree Geno will not change on this policy. His replacement will.
I personally like this--"it's the name on the front" that's important.
I don't believe announcers are incompetent. hen you are spending most of your time talking about everything outside of the WCBB in front of you--how can you expect them to associate names with numbers??

Reaction Score
Humble is wack these days, being bold is the way to the top! Be humble later on after the goal is reached
So the name on the back gets you a championship? Frankly there is too much “wack”… isn’t that what social media is for?

Reaction Score
I'm old school and I like the "no name on the back" policy.

I'm relatively new to The Boneyard (just celebrated my third anniversary here). Seems like I read or heard (maybe here, maybe somewhere else) that Geno doesn't (or maybe didn't) allow visible tattoos. Was that the case "back then"? Is it the case today?

Reaction Score
But yes I forgot with NIL it would be nice to the kids (maybe) to feature their name because they are $ revenue to the school and community.

Reaction Score
So at least USC, Penn State, Notre Dame, UCF, Colorado and the Military Academies in Div 1 football do not have names on the jersey, Univ of Wisconsin men's bball. However there are rumors that with NIL and a new coach USC may now change. Others may have to follow. I am against UConn changing, but eventually it may come down to dollars in the future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom