My thoughts on the game | The Boneyard

My thoughts on the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Stanford will get better. The tall girl I think her name is Johnson who made Stanford'
s first basket will make shots and when she does Stanford will be tuff. They played very good defense and packed it in while allowing anybody other then our AAs to shoot the ball and we weren't hitting, until Saniya and Morgan caught fire. We had to make adjustments as imo Taras defense was a surprise. When we started hitting out outside shots it was all but over.

How good is this team? Its hard to describe. Stewart play approx. 4 minutes in the first half and KML didn't play much in the second half and Stewarts minutes were limited in the second half. We beat Stanford number 3 in the polls by 19. That's how good we are. If Breanna and KML had played it might have been by more. However with both of them out of the game for a long period of time it game Morgan Saniya BB and Kia a chance to prove themselves it a game like this which ment alot. It may have been a blessing that they were able to come into a game of the magnitude and do what they did. One thing we have this season our penetrating guards which opens things up.

No questions on Bria anymore. She looked like her ole self healthy and an AA game last nite. Kia has arrived and in a big way. Her outside shot starts falling and she will be unbelievable. Saniya is everything I thought she would be. She's plays with confidence and her outside shot is coming around. A great passer, reminds me of Diana with her passes and when her shot is more consistent she will be FOY.

It is very apparent to me that we will need players other then Stef KML and Breanna scoring and that will happen. The big question is will KML be ready for our big weekend. This weekend we are at Maryland then Penn ST. Without KML it will be tuff but I am confident we will win by double figures just like we did last nite.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I agree with your comments however Morgan Tuck had some really good minutes and made a significant contribution to the game.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
It's Kailee Johnson she is from Oregon. She played on Central Catholic with Jordan Reynolds. I do hope that KML injury isn't serious and she can get back on the court soon.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
TomyC: "Tara's defense was a surprise." Really?

I saw nothing at all surprising about it and I'm sure Geno didn't either. As Doris Burke commented early, "They will let Jefferson take all the shots she wants."

Tara got lucky when Stewie got two quick fouls and as Stef missed a few trey attempts (and no one rebounding), but her plan was clearly to play KML tight and Moriah very loose.

Then Tara got unlucky when she had Saniya guarded similarly loosely. Stanford got burned and UConn got rolling.

Guess how Maryland will guard Moriah on Friday! Don't be surprised!

Until she knocks down some shots from 15'+, she will command as little respect as Lorin Dixon did.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I really don't care whether it is Stef, Kiah, Morgan or Stewie covering Alyssa Thomas on Friday. All 4 are capable in different ways of providing great D. I expect Morgan or Kiah to regularly draw that assignment.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Actually, from what I read, and even from Geno's comments (or Chris') IIRC, it was said the team took a little time to adjust to the defense Stanford threw at them. So not sure that constitutes a "surprise", but at least it's an indication that UCONN was not quite ready for it. That's why UCONN scored only 2 points in the first 7 minutes of the game. That they ended up with 35 or something for the half indicates how well they figured it out - scoring 30+ points in the last 12 minutes or so.

In spite of Mo's struggles that game, I love what the rest of the team did. I'd much rather see Bria NOT be the PG on the team, but honestly things ran so much better with her out there. I know it's only 2 games into the season, but to me so far, Bria's the best player on the team. I know KML and Stewie got much of the preseason hype (it's not like Bria is a total surprise as she was named to some of the post season awards lists), but I tended to forget at times she was an AA her sophomore year, and her junior year was hampered by injuries. It's nice to see just how incredible she is when 100% healthy. She was a total demon (in a good way) on the court last night and seemed to be everywhere and had her hand in everything.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
TomyC: "Tara's defense was a surprise." Really?

I saw nothing at all surprising about it and I'm sure Geno didn't either. As Doris Burke commented early, "They will let Jefferson take all the shots she wants."

Tara got lucky when Stewie got two quick fouls and as Stef missed a few trey attempts (and no one rebounding), but her plan was clearly to play KML tight and Moriah very loose.

Then Tara got unlucky when she had Saniya guarded similarly loosely. Stanford got burned and UConn got rolling.

Guess how Maryland will guard Moriah on Friday! Don't be surprised!

Until she knocks down some shots from 15'+, she will command as little respect as Lorin Dixon did.

I think Tara successfully exposed one of the few flaws for the starting lineup thus far. If Mo isn't hitting from 15+, she commands zero attention until she reaches the paint. If KML is out for an extended period, our offense will come mainly from Bria and the posts. If Mo can't hit the outside shot, she makes it really hard for our posts to get the room they need.

Uconn clearly figured out this defense, but my only fear is that without KML, we become a 4 on 5 team offensively. It worked to perfection early for Tara.

I have faith Mo will step up to hit the shot, especially if she gets this approach often.

Reaction Score
Big game gitters hit players differently and MO Jeff and Stef missed plenty of open looks and they will make on Friday. Gampel is a hard place to shot in for some people. I played there this past summer and it was difficult shooting for me.....Now, I am not KML or DT, maybe the next time I will play better...LOL.....Geno has 3 days to mend the ship and make changes to the team rotations.......I think KML will be ok and will be ready to play for Oregon game on Nov 20th...............

Reaction Score
There is a defensive down side to not defending MoJet. She doesn't have to take the outside shot. It gives here a clear lane to the basket, and she can make layups and attract fouls.

Reaction Score
I give Tara kudos for her defensive strategy. She knew she needed something special to defeat UConn. Luckily, we have a coaching staff that can react quickly, so it didn't work.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"That's why UCONN scored only 2 points in the first 7 minutes of the game."

Eric I have to disagree. IMO most of the shots early on were bricks that had little to do with Stanfords defense. I watched the first 7-8 minutes of ugly ball from the tip to Chong's first 3. Here's my take - times are approximate.

19:05 Stewart an open look - off the mark.
18:55 Jefferson shot is short - she was wide open.
18:20 Dolson wide open from the top of the key - clank.
17:34 Jefferson misses a layup - IMO it was lightly defended.
17:25 Stewart misses an open 3
16:30 Jefferson misses a wide open 3
15:48 Jefferson misses an open layup
14:28 Tuck misses an open 3
13:46 Banks misses a wide open 3
13:17 KML misses an open 3

At this point the team is 1-10 until Chong saves the day at 12:43. The surprise defense wasn't much of a surprise - TV opted not to defend Jefferson. Probably a smart move since Jefferson was 0-4 without much in the way of defense in front of her.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
There is a defensive down side to not defending MoJet. She doesn't have to take the outside shot. It gives here a clear lane to the basket, and she can make layups and attract fouls.

She had 2 open layups during the 1st 7 minutes. She didn't make them and she wasn't fouled.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
"That's why UCONN scored only 2 points in the first 7 minutes of the game."

Eric I have to disagree. IMO most of the shots early on were bricks that had little to do with Stanfords defense. I watched the first 7-8 minutes of ugly ball from the tip to Chong's first 3. Here's my take - times are approximate.

19:05 Stewart an open look - off the mark.
18:55 Jefferson shot is short - she was wide open.
18:20 Dolson wide open from the top of the key - clank.
17:34 Jefferson misses a layup - IMO it was lightly defended.
17:25 Stewart misses an open 3
16:30 Jefferson misses a wide open 3
15:48 Jefferson misses an open layup
14:28 Tuck misses an open 3
13:46 Banks misses a wide open 3
13:17 KML misses an open 3

At this point the team is 1-10 until Chong saves the day at 12:43. The surprise defense wasn't much of a surprise - TV opted not to defend Jefferson. Probably a smart move since Jefferson was 0-4 without much in the way of defense in front of her.
Ah my bad. I thought Geno and/or CD made comments about adjusting to Stanford's defense in the first 8 minutes of the game and the team needing to figure it out. I guess they never said that.

Reaction Score
She had 2 open layups during the 1st 7 minutes. She didn't make them and she wasn't fouled.
Specific examples don't invalidate a general point. I can provide examples where layups were made, so what. The point is that if not guarded, she can get to the basket and can score or be fouled (but not in a 7 minute period of a Stanford game).

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We shot the ball poorly from the outside, our 2 AA's didn't play a lot of minutes and we beat the number 3 team in the country by 19 . Now we play MD and Penn St and neither is as good as Stanford. So I think we play better the next 2 games and if we win by 19 or more Im satisfied. Right now with KML injured lets just win. I don't think either team can play defense like Stanford did and I don't think we can shoot that poorly again and if we do and they do we will still win by 19+.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
We shot the ball poorly from the outside, our 2 AA's didn't play a lot of minutes and we beat the number 3 team in the country by 19 . Now we play MD and Penn St and neither is as good as Stanford. So I think we play better the next 2 games and if we win by 19 or more Im satisfied. Right now with KML injured lets just win. I don't think either team can play defense like Stanford did and I don't think we can shoot that poorly again and if we do and they do we will still win by 19+.
It will be a GREAT chance for Brianna and Saniya to get some extended minutes as well. I'd like to see Ms. Banks get on track - she was in there for a good 4 minute stretch in the first half, but it looked like she was forcing things a bit - maybe trying a bit too hard. I'm praying KML comes back soon and is 100% but just like Achonwa's injury at ND, KML's absence gives others a chance to step up. Tuck will have a much bigger role for sure.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Ah my bad. I thought Geno and/or CD made comments about adjusting to Stanford's defense in the first 8 minutes of the game and the team needing to figure it out. I guess they never said that.

Actually I think Dailey did mention having to adjust for Stanford's defense but Geno that they were getting a lot of good looks early. That's why I rewatched the phugly part again. It was obvious that Stanford was leaving Jefferson open but UConn was shooting so poorly they couldn't take advantage.

The good thing is - it's better to suck in the first 10 minutes than in the last 10 minutes.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

I'm not as confident as you are that MD is clearly inferior to Stanford. IMHO they're a bit of a wildcard, as they have some key players back healthy this year.

I'm with you in that all I want is the "W", but things could be interesting down in College Park this time around. I do feel that Tara and staff are the better coaches, for sure.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I'm not as confident as you are that MD is clearly inferior to Stanford. IMHO they're a bit of a wildcard, as they have some key players back healthy this year.

I'm with you in that all I want is the "W", but things could be interesting down in College Park this time around. I do feel that Tara and staff are the better coaches, for sure.

Pause for a moment and consider that Maryland only beat USF by 8 (and USF is not ranked) and USF's best shooter was stone cold. If USF played them that close, I like our chances, even if Kaleena can't play that night. I actually worry more about PSU and machine-gun Maggie. Fingers crossed that KML will be okay soon!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Defense will win out. MD doesn't play defense which means our offense will be much better. UConn is the standard as Tara and many other coaches have said. UConn gets a lot of respect. I' sure when MD walks out on the court they will be confident and pumped up because after the remarks at the regionals they think they can beat us. Me I know they can't unless we have a lot of fouls and injuries and it still might be hard for them to beat us.

Reaction Score
I think Tara successfully exposed one of the few flaws for the starting lineup thus far. If Mo isn't hitting from 15+, she commands zero attention until she reaches the paint. If KML is out for an extended period, our offense will come mainly from Bria and the posts. If Mo can't hit the outside shot, she makes it really hard for our posts to get the room they need.

Uconn clearly figured out this defense, but my only fear is that without KML, we become a 4 on 5 team offensively. It worked to perfection early for Tara.

I have faith Mo will step up to hit the shot, especially if she gets this approach often.
Or if not there's a certain rookie around who will.

Reaction Score
Even if Kaleena's injury isn't too serious, I'd think they'd want to rest her this weekend as a precaution.

Reaction Score
UConn is going to make many more threes than they did last night. When they do, Stanford nor any other team will not be able to pack the lane. We saw what Saniya can do. Wait until she gets more experience in the offense. Watch out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom