My Interesting Proposal for Huskies Wall of Honor Selection is.... | The Boneyard

My Interesting Proposal for Huskies Wall of Honor Selection is....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With so much discussion regarding Tuck's possible/probable AA selection and subsequent addition to the Huskies Wall of Honor I thought that it might be interesting to toss out some alternative criteria for admission. This might allow for the selection of deserving UConn candidates who aren't fortunate enough to be AA honored due to such situations as a stacked class, a limitation on the number of AA's chosen from the same school, an injury that cut short an otherwise deserving career, unspoken selection committee agendas, yadda yadda....

My proposal for consideration is that any UConn player who is not recognized as an AA by the WBCA but gets selected between 1 and 10 in the WNBA draft has earned their place on the wall....if you are good enough for a professional coach and GM to put their money where their mouth is then you have certainly earned your Wall of Honor stripes....a WNBA lottery pick is too narrow and would undoubtedly be of AA status already and to open it to any 1st Round selection seems to lack the same panache as being a Top 10 pick....

I would certainly be interested in hearing other proposals.......

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Selfishly speaking I think UConn should allow The Boneyard to vote on additions, like the Bad Ass Award...

On the other hand, it's too selfish an idea.

I trust Geno. CD was added. Who knows what he has in mind for future additions to the wall.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The criteria that were established for players (surely by Geno) are fair, consistent, and work. But who am I to discourage discussion?:rolleyes:

A bit of a stretch, but I am reminded of something Will Rogers once said:

"Communism and Prohibition are two good ideas that just don't work."

Reaction Score
The criteria for the wall of honor is a good one and strait forward so there can be no arguments why one player did and another didn't. That said, maybe there should be another wall for players who are Husky Role Models for players who are not on the wall of honor) which can include players such as Farris, J. Elliot, A. Jones, etc...

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The WNBA draft is limited to Seniors only. All four classes are eligible for AA honors.

Reaction Score
I also think the current criteria are well-defined and appropriate. But, if I were going to make any changes, I would tighten it up to to a prestigious 5-player first team AA. In other words truly THE best at their position in the country that year. High honors lose their meaning if gets too diluted and is too easy to get in. I think most of the names on the wall now would have met this stricter criteria.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
well, "the top 10 WNBA draft selection" criterion would lead to Kelly Faris being retroactively added to the Wall, so obviously, most of us support it.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck - may be one of the most perfect young ladies that's ever come thru CT. Starting in her freshman year. Extraordinary poise on and off the court. Constantly dealing with adversity. Those beautiful eyes! There is a grace and elegance about her- unless your an opposing player and especially in or near the paint. They are all something- but she has something else in her that just allows her to shine a little brighter than most. Getting a bit emotional- I'm done!

Reaction Score
Why is Tuck deserving of being on the wall? What statistical categories is she in the top 5 or 10 all-time at UConn? I'm not saying that's a hard and fast criteria, but I'm sure if you look at all the names on the wall, at the time of their addition they were all among the all-time statistical leaders in some category. We all like Tuck, but if Tuck gets on without passing the AA criteria, then I agree with others that you have to put others up there too, and first I'd start with Faris who was always ready to play and worked her butt off, then Jamelle, and I could go on with players that gave their blood, sweat, and tears to the program.

Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck - may be one of the most perfect young ladies that's ever come thru CT. Starting in her freshman year. Extraordinary poise on and off the court. Constantly dealing with adversity. Those beautiful eyes! There is a grace and elegance about her- unless your an opposing player and especially in or near the paint. They are all something- but she has something else in her that just allows her to shine a little brighter than most. Getting a bit emotional- I'm done!
Easy Geno, Dr. Woof recommends a cold shower. This post has you treading the same waters of JA a year ago. ;) No attack just curious which players on the team have ugly eyes? :rolleyes:

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I don't think she should be on the wall- I just think she's special- her intangible gifts are off the charts. Offense runs through her like it did Steph as a junior/senior.
She had that gift her freshman yr.

Reaction Score
here is an idea to be a bit more inclusive...... put teams up there..... like the undefeated teams...... it can be sorta like the rock and roll hall of fame..... where people get in individually and sometimes with the groups they played with......

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
here is an idea to be a bit more inclusive. put teams up there..... like the undefeated teams. it can be sorta like the rock and roll hall of fame..... where people get in individually and sometimes with the groups they played with.
There are. 1995, 2000 and 2002 teams are there.

Reaction Score
Interesting proposal---to dismiss it be cause what is now is "fair and appropriate" to inhibit discussion is as Obama says "Anti-American". There is merit to what you say and offer. If one slips through the cracks in the pipeline of AA--but is chosen in the WNBA between 1 and 10--does that not say they are considered by the Professionals as top quality players??? Isn't that what an AA is?\
But consider this:
The Japanese eat little fat and have fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
The French eat lots of fat and have fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
The Italians drink lots of red wine and they too have fewer Heart attacks than the British or Americans.
Conclusion: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
well, "the top 10 WNBA draft selection" criterion would lead to Kelly Faris being retroactively added to the Wall, so obviously, most of us support it.
And Kia Stokes. As well as Asija Jones and Tamika Williams. I don't think any of them should make the cut.

Reaction Score
I'm satisfied with the way it is now - It's very straight forward. And getting drafted in the top 10 doesn't necessarily mean the player is among the 10 best. Teams often draft based on their need rather than who is the best available player left.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree with Kib. Many UCONN greats are not on the wall of honor. To make up new rules now because people want Morgan on the wall is unfair to the past kids who did not make it.

The wall of honor inlcudes:

Bascom, Lobo, Rizotti, Wolters, Sales, Abrosimova, Ralph, Bird, Cash, Montgomery, Charles, Moore, Hartley, Dolson and KML.

It does not include Jones, Hayes, Strother, Turner, Davis, Williams, Greene, Walsh, Elliot, etc etc. Jones, by the way, was an AP 3rd team AA and still not on the team. She's an Olympian, being selected to the 2010 World Championship team and the 2012 Olympic team. I realize that it's all about the college accolades, but the fact is that as much as Jones has achieved professional success, she simply did not make the cut as a college player.

If Morgan is not selected for any of the top 10 AA teams, then she won't be on the wall of honor. I LOVE Morgan. Wish her much success. Hope she comes back next year because I think then, as the leader of the team, she WILL be an AA. BUT... if she leaves early and is not on any AA lists, she should not be on the wall, nor should the program change their rules to accommodate her.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The criteria that were established for players (surely by Geno) are fair, consistent, and work. But who am I to discourage discussion?:rolleyes:

A bit of a stretch, but I am reminded of something Will Rogers once said:

"Communism and Prohibition are two good ideas that just don't work."

Rogers was wrong. Prohibition was never a "good" idea. :)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
With so much discussion regarding Tuck's possible/probable AA selection and subsequent addition to the Huskies Wall of Honor I thought that it might be interesting to toss out some alternative criteria for admission. This might allow for the selection of deserving UConn candidates who aren't fortunate enough to be AA honored due to such situations as a stacked class, a limitation on the number of AA's chosen from the same school, an injury that cut short an otherwise deserving career, unspoken selection committee agendas, yadda yadda....

My proposal for consideration is that any UConn player who is not recognized as an AA by the WBCA but gets selected between 1 and 10 in the WNBA draft has earned their place on the wall....if you are good enough for a professional coach and GM to put their money where their mouth is then you have certainly earned your Wall of Honor stripes....a WNBA lottery pick is too narrow and would undoubtedly be of AA status already and to open it to any 1st Round selection seems to lack the same panache as being a Top 10 pick....

I would certainly be interested in hearing other proposals..

Maybe it should be determined by Facebook likes or Twitter followers. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog