My Eye Test | The Boneyard

My Eye Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's somewhere in my brain ... probably from 40+ years of listening to Al McGuire, Bill Raftery, Billy Packer & my Dad ... that there are a few things that come through in March in this tournament. Now, you tell me that OUR AAC conference didn't produce the following:

(i.) Defensive Intensity? I think we saw, in Louisville & Cincinnati & SMU, some of the best defenses we have seen in this college basketball season. I think, watching the OLD BE/C7, I did not see that. I watched St. John's specifically in person. Not close to what I remember. Creighton & Villanova? Their Standard Bearers? Not good defenses ... let alone what I think of Louisville or Cincy this year. I think this year we saw defensive work & competitiveness like any we have seen at UConn over the last 15 years.

(ii.) Future Pro's on the floor. It was said, by one of the above, that you need 2-4 NBA guys to win the NCAA. I think we saw plenty of talent on the top 5 AAC programs. Certainly, at least 2 guys each from Louisville, UConn & Memphis will be NBA guys. Not 4. That's why I don't think this is an elite class for this league ... but certainly any of those 3 PLUS A Larry Brown could be at that level. Virginia? St. Joseph's? Villanova? I don't see that. Houston, BTW (for our Providence friends), have some of the most impressive raw athletes you will see. When we came out and got behind by 20 ... you saw that they had a stock of shooters past their 5 starters. Just not cohesive though, in the last look.

(iii.) Guards win it for you in the NCAA. The AAC has the best collection of guards, compare and contrast, of all the top 6 conferences. Just not even close. Memphis, UConn, Louisville are all among the top 7 groups in CBB. And, you know that Nick Moore with Larry Brown's tutelage (and others on that roster) are coming on.

There is your eye test Mr. Wellman. I expect the Conference to get a few wins. But, you sir, have no business speaking about hoop and portraying that you ran a fair process.

Lastly, I point to Temple and Rutgers in contrast to where they were last year. Did Rutgers get 200% worse? No ... they faced a lot of tough games. After, 6 years in a row as a NCAA participant out of the Great Atlantic 10 Conference ... what happened to the Owls. Did they walk into a Sunbelt/CUSA type conference? What do you think Fran Dunphy would say about the relative strength of the 2. YES ... I think ... we know what is going on here.

Reaction Score
Avoiding junk defenses is key , we don't possess the iq to execute vs teams like ville. With the way Daniels is peaking , truly believe we are a hard out.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Avoiding junk defenses is key , we don't possess the iq to execute vs teams like ville. With the way Daniels is peaking , truly believe we are a hard out.
I must have missed Deandre's ascent. He had a good second half. I am praying we make it past next weekend. No game is a gimme, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
I must have missed Deandre's ascent. He had a good second half. I am praying we make it past next weekend. No game is a gimme, unfortunately.
His performance in the AAC tourney was not a fluke. he is a walking mismatch, only Pitino gives him problems throwing two 6'11 guys in there. In fact both him and brimah have taken a leap.

Reaction Score
His performance in the AAC tourney was not a fluke. he is a walking mismatch, only Pitino gives him problems throwing two 6'11 guys in there. In fact both him and brimah have taken a leap.

The AAC tournament was certainly encouraging. Napier scored 11 points against Memphis and we won by 19. He scored 15 on 5 of 13 shooting against Cincinnati and we won. Earlier in the year, performances like those from Napier would have spelled disaster. But Daniels, Giffey, Boat, and Amida all raised their game in the AAC tournament and appear to be peaking at the right time. If Bazz follows suit, there's no reason to think we can't go toe-to-toe with everybody in our region.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom