My Dog, Kemba

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJ

Reaction Score
KembaCAR.jpg
nice scarf!

Reaction Score
On the topic of dogs... I am dying to adopt one, have wanted to for a long time, but I'm waiting until the ladyfriend (who is in KY) and I are in the same place later this year. Now, my dilemma: I'm obviously a big UConn fan, and she is the ultimate of sinners in that she is a die-hard UK fan. How do we compromise on a name? Can we call it Cal? Maybe JC? I mean, it works for both head coaches, I just hate the idea that the poor pup could be associated with UK. People will be accusing me of giving improper benefits to the pound or humane society or dog adoption agency for the rest of my life!

PS love the pictures of Kemba (and Maya)!

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
But which is the one with the crazy eyes?
Maya is the blue eyed one, Kemba the black one. Believe it or not, they are siblings. Husky / dachshund mixes. Now, for the question everyone asks... who was the female in that transaction?!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Maya is the blue eyed one, Kemba the black one. Believe it or not, they are siblings. Husky / dachshund mixes. Now, for the question everyone asks... who was the female in that transaction?!

I just want to know if the dachshund survived.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Someone thought it would be a good idea to let a husky loose on a dachsund? Or even creepier, the other way around? That is just mind blowing.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
On the topic of dogs... I am dying to adopt one, have wanted to for a long time, but I'm waiting until the ladyfriend (who is in KY) and I are in the same place later this year. Now, my dilemma: I'm obviously a big UConn fan, and she is the ultimate of sinners in that she is a die-hard UK fan. How do we compromise on a name? Can we call it Cal? Maybe JC? I mean, it works for both head coaches, I just hate the idea that the poor pup could be associated with UK. People will be accusing me of giving improper benefits to the pound or humane society or dog adoption agency for the rest of my life!

PS love the pictures of Kemba (and Maya)!

Don't get an ulcer over it. Go old school and name it Fido.

Reaction Score
Just call the dog kemba or Calhoun or something else while she isn't around. Eventually the dog will only answer to that and you win by using sneaky tactics

Reaction Score
Just call the dog kemba or Calhoun or something else while she isn't around. Eventually the dog will only answer to that and you win by using sneaky tactics

Winner

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
In a weird coincidence, I also adopted a dog this year and advocated for naming her Kemba, but was over-ruled by the wife and ended up with Nessy. This of course is strange because 1) she looks identical to the Kemba of the OP and 2) she in fact is the name sake of the Loch Ness Monster which also found its way into this thread.

In any case, Kemba is a great dog name, I'm sorry I was the only one who failed in this endeavor.

Update. Have secured second rescue pup. Insisted that it be named Kemba. Can't seem to keep her off the conference realignment board. She loves Husky Fan Dan.

Kemba.jpg

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
On a serious note, it's great you adopted him at 6 months from the pound. There are a lot of animals in these places who need to be rescued and it's a great alternative to buying from a pet shop.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
On that same note, Forgotten Felines (a cat shelter on Route 145 in Westbrook) is having an open adoption day tomorrow, so if any of you are looking for a rescue cat, you can stop by there between 12-4 tomorrow. I hope to be adding 1 or 2 cats to my fold.

Reaction Score
Just had a scare with some lumps on my 8 year old Black Lab........I could hardly work until the results came back, pins and needles......negative thank God.......they bring things to your life even people can't.......loyalty beyond belief always there for you......I know the day will come and I dread it but for now my best friend walks with me everyday and hangs out at night!!!

Everyone should go get one from the shelter, they will be forever grateful you brought them into your life!!!;)

Oh yeah got her the Christmas prior to 2004 NC so she's brought me 2 NC's not JC........

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Just had a scare with some lumps on my 8 year old Black Lab........I could hardly work until the results came back, pins and needles......negative thank God.......they bring things to your life even people can't.......loyalty beyond belief always there for you......I know the day will come and I dread it but for now my best friend walks with me everyday and hangs out at night!!!

Everyone should go get one from the shelter, they will be forever grateful you brought them into your life!!!;)

Oh yeah got her the Christmas prior to 2004 NC so she's brought me 2 NC's not JC........

I had a black lab. She had the same problems with lumps around her body and such.

Reaction Score

Kinda like the lumps on your avatar.

Reaction Score
I had a black lab. She had the same problems with lumps around her body and such.

Fatty tissue cysts as they get older I guess they get them, so far..........I know that eventually if they get too many one could turn up on the wrong side of the tests..........I'll enjoy every second now and not take anything for granted, she's family!!

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Fatty tissue cysts as they get older I guess they get them, so far..........I know that eventually if they get too many one could turn up on the wrong side of the tests..........I'll enjoy every second now and not take anything for granted, she's family!!

That's the way to approach it. Like you said, eventually they turn up positive and that's when it starts to suck. But I mean I had great times/memories with mine even when the vet said she was terminal. I just always wonder whether or not I kept her too long, causing her too much pain. I'll never know though.

Reaction Score
That's the way to approach it. Like you said, eventually they turn up positive and that's when it starts to suck. But I mean I had great times/memories with mine even when the vet said she was terminal. I just always wonder whether or not I kept her too long, causing her too much pain. I'll never know though.

The hardest part I'm sure......trying to do what's best for them but not wanting them out of our lives........painful.......sorry about yours!! I'm sure whatever your choice was your dog knew how much you cared!!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

You want to hear about loyalty? My father in law passed away about a month ago (Mesothelioma is a God-awful way to go). We inherited his dog, Boris. He was full of lumps. Father in law always said he was told they were okay. Eight days after we get old Boris he starts getting weak and started bleeding out from an internal mass. He died. It was like he couldn't be without his real pops.

Keep track of those lumps. Can't see the internal ones.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You want to hear about loyalty? My father in law passed away about a month ago (Mesothelioma is a God-awful way to go). We inherited his dog, Boris. He was full of lumps. Father in law always said he was told they were okay. Eight days after we get old Boris he starts getting weak and started bleeding out from an internal mass. He died. It was like he couldn't be without his real pops.

Really sad set of events. Bless them both!

CTBasketball

Reaction Score

Especially if they latch onto organs.

Reaction Score
I adopted my sweetheart 12 years ago when she was 2, she grew up in Puerto Rico, rescued and brought stateside. She's 14 now with plenty of lumps. We walk a mile every day around Bushnell Park. Can't imagine life without her.
IMG_1978a.JPG

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I had a black lab with the same issue growing up. He made it to thirteen or fourteen which is a pretty good run for a lab... and it wasn't the lumps that got him. Like the other guys said keep track of them... but just wanted to let you know that they aren't necessarily a big problem.

Reaction Score
I had a black lab with the same issue growing up. He made it to thirteen or fourteen which is a pretty good run for a lab... and it wasn't the lumps that got him. Like the other guys said keep track of them... but just wanted to let you know that they aren't necessarily a big problem.

IMind thanks man.....I was starting to get a little worried but what can you do.....13 or 14 will be great.....thanks for the positive feedback......I know you never know but still want to be positive as possible about her walking with me for a few more years!! Much appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom