My College Experience - Klara Bradshaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
“My College Experience”
By Klara Bradshaw

This is the home page to my “College Experience” series. This series is meant to raise awareness to the fact that not every collegiate athlete experience is the kind you see or hear about in articles or on TV. This is my personal experience, and it is not meant to offend or make anyone take pity on my situation, it is for every next girl who signs their name on the dotted line.

[These articles are] the first part of many that I plan to write about my experiences and the experiences of my teammates in hopes it will bring awareness to many different aspects of collegiate sports. Bottom line, it is to at least share my story so that the next doe-eyed 17-year-old doesn’t fall into the same traps that I did.

[ETA: corrected spelling of her last name - Bradshaw]
Part I:
Part One

Part II:
Part Two

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My daughter was not recruited to play college softball but several of her peers were. They went through similar experiences with coaching changes, the realities of the level of competition and amount of playing time etc. It's a challenge for a kid to reconcile what they hear during the recruiting process with the reality they walk into once they join their team. Even at the D2 and D3 levels the life of a college athlete is no piece of cake.

My nephew was recruited to play Division 2 soccer for some pretty good programs. He knew that while he was talented, he wasn't going to be making a living as a soccer player, so he decided he wanted to take on a challenging major and have a "normal" college experience, goals that were incompatible with the time he would be expected to put in on the soccer field. He said thanks but no thanks to the recruiters. Fortunately for him, his club coach who was an ex-D1 soccer player sat down with him and the other guys on the team and gave then the "real" picture of what college athletics is all about once recruiting is finished. He still loves soccer and played on various club teams through college and his early work life until he destroyed his knee.

We have friends who have a daughter who is being recruited to play college lacrosse. She also has ambitions of pursuing an engineering degree and her parents are hoping that her athletic skill translates into some scholarship money.

I wish them and their daughter well as they go through the process. To the extent I can, without bursting any bubbles, I am trying to gently interject a little reality into their hopes and dreams as they go through the recruiting process...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Depressing experiences.

In contribution 2, she discusses her game against UConn this way

As our season was coming to a close, our HC was canceling our shootarounds more often and we didn’t even practice the day of senior night against #1 ranked UConn, stating we “can’t beat them because we can’t prepare” as the reason.

and an image

1580145429906.png

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Depressing experiences.

In contribution 2, she discusses her game against UConn this way

As our season was coming to a close, our HC was canceling our shootarounds more often and we didn’t even practice the day of senior night against #1 ranked UConn, stating we “can’t beat them because we can’t prepare” as the reason.

and an image

View attachment 50341
Nice detective work. Shameshame all around, with absolutely none on the players. Shame. Although we only see one side of this story I'm not sorry to say I believe 90% of it. I now know which coach I'll never root for.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I just read part 1, and it's an good read.

She avoids calling her former coaches by their names, so I'm filling in some blanks:
  • The writer was under 4 different head coaches at 2 different schools.

• She started at TCU under Jeff Mittie. In her freshman year, the team made the WNIT, but before they boarded the bus for their 1st round game in Colorado, the team found out from the AD that Mittie had left for the Kansas State job. The coach never informed the players or said goodbye.

• Now under Raegan Pebley in her sophomore year, the writer felt the coach's playing style wasn't a good fit for her. She then transferred to SMU (then under Rhonda Rompola). At the end of her sit-out transfer year, Rompola "retired" and was replaced by Travis Mays.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I just read part 1, and it's an good read.

She avoids calling her former coaches by their names, so I'm filling in some blanks:
  • The writer was under 4 different head coaches at 2 different schools.

• She started at TCU under Jeff Mittie. In her freshman year, the team made the WNIT, but before they boarded the bus for their 1st round game in Colorado, the team found out from the AD that Mittie had left for the Kansas State job. The coach never informed the players or said goodbye.

• Now under Raegan Pebley in her sophomore year, the writer felt the coach's playing style wasn't a good fit for her. She then transferred to SMU (then under Rhonda Rompola). At the end of her sit-out transfer year, Rompola "retired" and was replaced by Travis Mays.

Not to give too much away but part 2, Travis Mays (without being named) is blasted.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Not to give too much away but part 2, Travis Mays (without being named) is blasted.
Okay yeah I just read it. It's not that long, but it's pretty searing. It certainly paints a very, very negative picture.

I remember that SMU seemed to be much improved in Mays' first season, but then seemed to regress back to the Rompola level in his second season (when Alicia Froling was injured, a fact mentioned in passing by the writer).

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Travis Mays is still the Head Coach at SMU.

SMU current record is 8 Wins and 10 Losses. Last Year they won 11 Games and lost 19. They'll probably win one or two games more this year. Is that going to be enough to keep his job? If what Klara has written is accurate, it shouldn't. The Dallas Media should be all over this Series. The Suicide Comment should be enough to get him fired if its accurate.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Good read. I particularly liked this part,
"Today, I tell a different story. The material things are still not important but what is important is to be real with what your goal is in college. If your number one thing is to play, then you need to sit down with that coach and really understand the dynamics of the team and his philosophies and if that works, for whatever position you may be. If you want to play overseas or professionally in general after college, then I would advise to go to a “favored” school."

I think a lot of kids don't objectively think about this and it leads to disappointment and transferring out. Very few players will becomes true stars at the collegiate level on top teams. Players need to take an honest assessment of the team they're going to and their potential role on the roster. I mean you look at Baylor and Texas, they had top 5 kids transfer out largely due to lack of playing time but those kids could have seen that their school was stacked at their position already.

She also makes a great point about how the 1 year transfer sit out rule can be quite damaging. Her coach leaves and she doesn't fit into the new coach's philosophy, so if she wants to play she needs to uproot her life, find a new program, and sit out a full year as punishment. More often than not, kids pick their schools based on the coaching staff. When the coaching staff leaves, I don't think it's fair for the athletes to be punished if they want to transfer. Look forward to reading more of her blog, she's a great writer.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Yikes...just read part 2. Pretty damning stuff if true.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wow - a really tough luck college experience and while I don't think D1 sports are a bed of roses, her 4 coaches in five years is a very rare experience. I got to say Mittie cutting out before the WNIT game is despicable. And Mays based on this and the below would frighten me.

Thought I would post this from an article on Alicia Froling re her senior year under Mays:
This last year of college my coach was a bit of a head case. We had seven freshman and myself [the only senior], so expectations on me were always going to set us up for a tough year. He thought we would be so much better than we were, and halfway through the season – he lost the plot.

“As punishment for poor performance, we were tasked with running repetitive laps during training. But due to my previous injuries [knee] and advice from doctors, I was given another punishment during running where I was in a planking, almost a push up position, and would have my feet in a wheelie board and have to drag my body up the court. So it was like core training but placed all my weight on my wrists.”

Froling referred to this bizarre training regime as being of great detriment to her injury, ultimately impacting her shooting ability and the position she now sees herself in. It was after seeing a surgeon in Brisbane during the QBL season where she was advised that she had damage in her wrist, and that surgery was going to be required.

NB - Froling's senior year was the year after Klara's as she red-shirted after her injury - SMU went 11-19 in 2018-19. Interesting to note that the current team has 3 jrs and 5 sophs so the turnover has continued with 2 freshman from Klara's senior year gone and 2 from Alicia's senior year.

I remember a similar expose re Seton Hall WCBB about 10 years ago with a former long term coach and how the recruiting was very dishonest.

I still think in general HS recruits and their parents are mostly to blame for buying the hype and living in a fantasy (and it is not limited to athletes, a fairly high number of kids entering college have made a mistake and drop out or transfer.) There are enough stories about the process and it's pitfalls out there every year that just get ignored and most bad experiences do not involve coaching changes and coaching changes are not necessarily bad.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Wow - a really tough luck college experience and while I don't think D1 sports are a bed of roses, her 4 coaches in five years is a very rare experience. I got to say Mittie cutting out before the WNIT game is despicable. And Mays based on this and the below would frighten me.

Thought I would post this from an article on Alicia Froling re her senior year under Mays:
This last year of college my coach was a bit of a head case. We had seven freshman and myself [the only senior], so expectations on me were always going to set us up for a tough year. He thought we would be so much better than we were, and halfway through the season – he lost the plot.

“As punishment for poor performance, we were tasked with running repetitive laps during training. But due to my previous injuries [knee] and advice from doctors, I was given another punishment during running where I was in a planking, almost a push up position, and would have my feet in a wheelie board and have to drag my body up the court. So it was like core training but placed all my weight on my wrists.”

Froling referred to this bizarre training regime as being of great detriment to her injury, ultimately impacting her shooting ability and the position she now sees herself in. It was after seeing a surgeon in Brisbane during the QBL season where she was advised that she had damage in her wrist, and that surgery was going to be required.

NB - Froling's senior year was the year after Klara's as she red-shirted after her injury - SMU went 11-19 in 2018-19. Interesting to note that the current team has 3 jrs and 5 sophs so the turnover has continued with 2 freshman from Klara's senior year gone and 2 from Alicia's senior year.

I remember a similar expose re Seton Hall WCBB about 10 years ago with a former long term coach and how the recruiting was very dishonest.

I still think in general HS recruits and their parents are mostly to blame for buying the hype and living in a fantasy (and it is not limited to athletes, a fairly high number of kids entering college have made a mistake and drop out or transfer.) There are enough stories about the process and it's pitfalls out there every year that just get ignored and most bad experiences do not involve coaching changes and coaching changes are not necessarily bad.
I hadn't seen those words from Froling. Thanks for sharing that. Her account does seem to gibe with Bradshaw's in essence.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

I know there are 2 sides to every story, but I hope they investigate Mays based off of this and Klara's story. Sounds like an awful and unsafe environment.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
What a crybaby.

These Home truths
In D1 Sports they basically own you - Check
In D2 and D3 they own you as well - Check
Coaches can be real bastards - Check
Players leave all the time, whether for more playing time, a change of coach or whatever - Check
Coaches leave all the time, when a better position comes along, they get fired or retire - Check
Seniors don't automatically get the big minutes as you have to be a major contributor - Check
After 4 years of High School, most players know where the are along the talent scale - Check

Taking into account all of the above, the naive need to get a life and a Freaking grip.

JordyG

Reaction Score
What a crybaby.

These Home truths
Players leave all the time, whether for more playing time, a change of coach or whatever - Check
Coaches leave all the time, when a better position comes along, they get fired or retire - Check
Seniors don't automatically get the big minutes as you have to be a major contributor - Check
After 4 years of High School, most players know where the are along the talent scale - Check

Taking into account all of the above, the naive need to get a life and a Freaking grip.
???
...and all coaches do or should use the suicide analogy, as well as pit teammates against one another in and off the court.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
What a crybaby.

These Home truths

The whole point of this blog is to make players aware of what they're getting into. Most players have no clue about these issues at 17 or 18 years old. They're sold a dream by coaches and have been told how good of players they are their whole lives and dont realize all of the ups and downs ahead.

This also highlights how unfair to players the NCAA can be. They get penalized for transferring, yet the coach gets zero repercussions when they bounce before the season is even over. Coaches also have zero right to tell players to go commit suicide. I think you're strongly in the minority of how people feel when they read blogs like this.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
What a crybaby.

These Home truths

..and, all of my assumptions have been confirmed..

Reaction Score
I find the blog both credible and extremely disturbing. Because of the Texas connection, I take an occasional look at SMU. I have been noting May's lack of success in terms of wins and losses, his apparent lack of recruiting success, and his inability to maintain a stable roster. I have wondered what was going on. Certainly SMU could fire Mays on his win/loss record alone and be done with it. I hope they investigate because if the allegations have merit, SMU needs to consider what it needs to do as an institution to hold its coaches accountable for respectful treatment of students. It is amazing that such abusive treatment continues to go on year after year at many schools. Perhaps a little oversight is in order?

Reaction Score
What a crybaby.

These Home truths

my daughter played one year of low level college volleyball. The good: she was #66 in digs for the year nationwide. The bad: psychotic coach. She quit at the beginning of year 2. She’d been playing hard for about 6 years. Her happiness and general mental health improved almost immediately. Her eyes shined brighter and has never looked back. It isn’t for everyone. That story in that blog is awful.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What a crybaby.

These Home truths

Did you even read the articles?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Most of the 3000+ D1 WCBB players are getting about $200,000 dollars worth of education/room/board for free and will never earn a dime playing pro ball. In return they return significant hours per week in practice, training, and games/travel. Not sure of the total hours involved, but a typical college kid working to pay their way probably earns under $15/hr so to earn $200,000 they would need to work 13,333 hours or about 333 40 hr. weeks to leave college debt free or about 6.5 years without a vacation.

So it isn't that bad a contract that they sign with their NLI. And they can walk away from it any time they want. If they change schools or get injured they get an extra $50,000 for a fifth year if they want it to start their graduate program. The NCAA doesn't 'own them' and the schools are generally losing money by keeping the program running.

For the very few players that actually have the potential to play professionally, they get in addition to the tuition room and board, free access to coaches, trainers, and generally very good facilities as well as access to very good medical facilities and doctors. They also get the time, the competition against other talented players and the exposure to enhance their value to professional employers.

Even in the money sports of MBB and FB, there are very few players who are ready as HS graduates to become pros and they need at least a year or two in a college program to enhance their value - giving a year or two of free development probably increases their first contract by millions of dollars - pretty good payback for a year or two.

So ... yeah, for some people their college experience sucks, but for D1 WCBB players at least they aren't paying a dime for it. There aren't that many true terrible situations in any sport and unfortunately Klara seems to have chosen two in a row, though the TCU new coach actually seems to be doing a fine job and Klara was just unlucky to be unsuitable to her style. And that isn't her fault. (Don't forget that Geno and CD lost some players from the team they inherited 30 years ago but it turned out well.) I agree that the AD should look into the situation at SMU with Mays as it sounds toxic. But remember that Duke and KY both seemed pretty toxic a few years ago and things seemed to have settled well at both schools.

The idea that a sit out year is this terrible penalty is bogus to me. I get the frustration of fans with seeming inconsistency with how waivers come down but it still isn't onerous.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Most of the 3000+ D1 WCBB players are getting about $200,000 dollars worth of education/room/board for free and will never earn a dime playing pro ball. In return they return significant hours per week in practice, training, and games/travel. Not sure of the total hours involved, but a typical college kid working to pay their way probably earns under $15/hr so to earn $200,000 they would need to work 13,333 hours or about 333 40 hr. weeks to leave college debt free or about 6.5 years without a vacation.

So it isn't that bad a contract that they sign with their NLI. And they can walk away from it any time they want. If they change schools or get injured they get an extra $50,000 for a fifth year if they want it to start their graduate program. The NCAA doesn't 'own them' and the schools are generally losing money by keeping the program running.

For the very few players that actually have the potential to play professionally, they get in addition to the tuition room and board, free access to coaches, trainers, and generally very good facilities as well as access to very good medical facilities and doctors. They also get the time, the competition against other talented players and the exposure to enhance their value to professional employers.

Even in the money sports of MBB and FB, there are very few players who are ready as HS graduates to become pros and they need at least a year or two in a college program to enhance their value - giving a year or two of free development probably increases their first contract by millions of dollars - pretty good payback for a year or two.

So ... yeah, for some people their college experience sucks, but for D1 WCBB players at least they aren't paying a dime for it. There aren't that many true terrible situations in any sport and unfortunately Klara seems to have chosen two in a row, though the TCU new coach actually seems to be doing a fine job and Klara was just unlucky to be unsuitable to her style. And that isn't her fault. (Don't forget that Geno and CD lost some players from the team they inherited 30 years ago but it turned out well.) I agree that the AD should look into the situation at SMU with Mays as it sounds toxic. But remember that Duke and KY both seemed pretty toxic a few years ago and things seemed to have settled well at both schools.

The idea that a sit out year is this terrible penalty is bogus to me. I get the frustration of fans with seeming inconsistency with how waivers come down but it still isn't onerous.
Uc, I've always respected you point of view and often look forward to your comments. But here I think you're dead wrong.

This argument, they're getting a free education, the addendum of which is "just shut up and play", has always seemed to me shortsighted, convenient, and in the end, specious.

Yes, these D1 athletes receive their education for free, and most do not go on to become professionals. Yes, women's sports are supported mainly by the success of men sports, particularly football. But for the small outlay these colleges provide for their education these athletes are in actuality disposable mules for the mega millions these colleges receive because of intercollegiate sports.

You say most colleges report a loss in revenue because of sports, and that is clearly true: As reported. I say these colleges aren't factoring in boosters, alumni, media rights, endorsements, paraphernalia, and many unreported under the table contributions. This is where most colleges recoup their loses. Also college sports as a recruiting tactic for non athletes is an important factor.

Many of these athletes are trading long term health issues for the short term. Some of these injuries in the future will prove catastrophic. You say they have free access to coaches, trainers and very good medical facilities. All true. But these facilities are there to move the athlete from IR to suiting up, and as soon as possible. Some injuries are never reported. Many injuries are never properly dealt with because of the need for the university to see results on the field of play. Many of these injuries become chronic or acute problems throughout their lives. Many of these injuries have an unfortunate ripple effect within their families and their circle of friends. Most of these athletes, future professionals or not, will never enter the field for which they get their degree and never see the specific benefit of that education. Many of these players continue through life after sports with a sense of underachievement or failure which affects their job performance and a personal and social perspective of a life unfulfilled. Remember as well, this is not a world built for the oversized, and many will continue life feeling out of place.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not here to trumpet some sort of "woe is the poor student athlete". It's a great life, and I would highly recommend it. But "take your medicine and you'll like it" is just wrong to me.

...and if you think sitting out a year isn't a terrible penalty then you've never competed.

Last edited:

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
..... blah, blah,blah.....
Jeez, UcMiami was totally on the money. And you want to throw faint praise and then trash.

Then, this nugget:

...I'm not here to trumpet some sort of "woe is the poor student athlete". It's a great life, and I would highly recommend it. But "take your medicine and you'll like it" is just wrong to me.
What a conflicted statement....

And this:
...and if you think sitting out a year isn't a terrible penalty then you've never competed.
It is intended for the Athlete to get back to full fitness. An additional year "towards' a Masters and still have a year (or more) of eligibility. Get serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom