Music and Movies Associations | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Music and Movies Associations

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's not just song associated with the movie, it's when I hear American Girl I think Fast Times.

Truth be told I do it for Kashmir too. Kashmir comes on and think of the tape being played in the car. Five point plan fail.

14. Led Zeppelin, 'Kashmir' in 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High' (1981)

Not on Led Zepplin IV!

Everyone noted that when we watched the movie the first time. Everyone. It's part of the reason I too associate it with Fast Times.

I'll add another. Old Time Rock n Roll with Risky Business.

Reaction Score
Jumpin' Jack Flash - Nightshift
Whatever that Vangelis song is called - Chariots of Fire
If you Leave (by Orchestral Manoeuvers in the Dark - great I can't believe a band was named that) - Pretty in Pink

Good call by HuskyHawk on most associated as Raindrops from Butch Cassidy, though I agree its not essential to the movie itself. For that reason & others (more classic timeless tune) I've got Mrs. Robinson from the Graduate as definitive #1 association, notwithstanding the fact that I like the Lemonheads version better.

I think if a song written for a movie transcends the movie and becomes a chart topper it qualifies as association. Plus there's a special place in hell for songs changed or re-engineered as movie associations - specifically Secret Garden that got lots of radio airplay with the dialogue from Jerry McGuire spliced in. Ugh.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Jumpin' Jack Flash - Nightshift
Whatever that Vangelis song is called - Chariots of Fire
If you Leave (by Orchestral Manoeuvers in the Dark - great I can't believe a band was named that) - Pretty in Pink
Holiday Road - Vacation
Power of Love - Back to the Future
Good call on Raindrops from Butch Cassidy, but I've got Mrs. Robinson from the Graduate as definitive #1 association, notwithstanding the fact that I like the Lemonheads version better.
Good call on Pretty in Pink.

"Jumpin' Jack Flash" - Jumpin' Jack Flash. You know when Whoopi Goldberg was actually funny.

The Lemonheads version of "Mrs. Robinson" was in Wayne's World II

"Power of Love" was written for the soundtrack. I believe "Holiday Road" was as well, but while we are on the subject of the Vacation movies. I associate Ray Charles' "Christmas Time" with National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation about the same, maybe more than "Mele Kalikimaka."

How about "60 Minute Man" for Bull Durham?
"Burn On" - Major League
"Danke Schoen" - Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You can't really show the scene in which the song was featured here . . .

I'm not digging through the treasure trove of You Tube. Whatever comes up first on the search is getting linked.

Reaction Score
I'm not digging through the treasure trove of You Tube. Whatever comes up first on the search is getting linked.

That wasn't directed towards anything you did. If you embedded that scene I think Tom might have some issues . . .

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You can't really show the scene in which the song was featured here . . .

Any scene featuring the young Phoebe Cates in anything less than a parka and ski mask, is a win.

Reaction Score
Any scene featuring the young Phoebe Cates in anything less than a parka and ski mask, is a win.

Actually the scene in question involved Jennifer Jason Leigh in the pool house

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Actually the scene in question involved Jennifer Jason Leigh in the pool house

Oh I know. I meant the one you actually linked

Reaction Score
"Jumpin' Jack Flash" - Jumpin' Jack Flash. You know when Whoopi Goldberg was actually funny.
A. I don't think Whoopi was ever funny, but she once was interesting and her acting in the Color Purple was transcendent - I think her career was based on that for more than awhile.
B. The song is totally DQ'd, no way anything holds a candle to Bill "Blaze" Blazejowski with old school headphones on singing; "NAAT Naa, na na naay, na na naay, na na na, NAAT NAA...
And remember 'PROS' doesn't mean anything, Tit - well we all know why that's in there, 'tu' (two, arrow back to 'tit') and 'tion' from the Latin to shun.

Reaction Score
Oh I know. I meant the one you actually linked
You're both wrong. The Someone's Baby scene climaxed (I mean that in a literary sense ;)) in the baseball dugout with the sleazy stereo guy. The pool house was Damone.

And speaking of Fast Times. I certainly remember all of the songs and they will trigger Fast Times, but I also know them from other stuff. But if I ever hear 'Moving in Stereo' by The Cars....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This thread covered a lot of the songs, but some others still come to mind (at least for me)

Always Alright (Alabama Shakes) - Silver Linings Playbook

Long Way To The Top If You Want To Rock and Roll - School of Rock

Iko Iko - Rainman

Tessie (Dropkick Murphy's) - Fever Pitch (the Redsox one)

Hotel California (Gipsy Kings) - The Big Lebowski

Relax (Frankie Goes to Hollywood) - Body Double

500 Miles - Benny and Joon

Wooly Bully - Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Give Up the Funk - PCU

Somewhere Over the Rainbow (Iz version) - 50 First Dates

You Never Can Tell - Pulp Fiction

Bohemian Rhapsody - Wayne's World

Singing In the Rain - A Clockwork Orange

Curiouser
Reaction Score

You're both wrong. The Someone's Baby scene climaxed (I mean that in a literary sense ;)) in the baseball dugout with the sleazy stereo guy. The pool house was Damone.

And speaking of Fast Times. I certainly remember all of the songs and they will trigger Fast Times, but I also know them from other stuff. But if I ever hear 'Moving in Stereo' by The Cars....

This was my point...

"Moving in Stereo," Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Reaction Score
This thread covered a lot of the songs, but some others still come to mind (at least for me)

Always Alright (Alabama Shakes) - Silver Linings Playbook
Iko Iko - Rainman
Hotel California (Gipsy Kings) - The Big Lebowski
Wooly Bully - Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Somewhere Over the Rainbow (Iz version) - 50 First Dates
You Never Can Tell - Pulp Fiction
Bohemian Rhapsody - Wayne's World
Singing In the Rain - A Clockwork Orange
Like these, but for Silver Linings Playbook doesn't it have to be My Cheri Amor? Re-watching Almost Famous that song was ruined as far as sentimentality, nothing but rage now!
How dare you imply Fever Pitch (Red Sox one) is a movie.

Fast Times wins the board for most iconic soundtrack. We are up to five songs that we all associate specifically with that movie!
1) Wooly Bully, 2) Moving in Stereo, 3) American Girl, 4) Somebody's Baby & 5)Kashmir.
We should vote for a 6th, Nominees:
1. Never Surrender - written by the aforementioned ubiquitous Kenny Loggins
2. Raised on The Radio - by Ravyns (prob most highly linked or themed to movie)
3. Goodbye Goodbye by Oingo Boingo (bad song, but appropriately tongue in cheek for ending & band name is so ridiculous 80's that I have to vote for this one)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Like these, but for Silver Linings Playbook doesn't it have to be My Cheri Amor?
Don't really remember that one, so for me it's Alabama Shakes. But then I really like the song anyway.

How dare you imply Fever Pitch (Red Sox one) is a movie.
Good point, but I've always kinda like Drew. And it was an Arsenal movie first...sooo....have to forgive me on that one.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I always wondered whether that was an intentional screw up, i.e., to reinforce that Ratner was such a loser that he couldn't even get that part right.

In the link I had earlier to the Rolling Stone list, the answer to your question is yes.

Reaction Score
Don't really remember that one, so for me it's Alabama Shakes. But then I really like the song anyway.
The first half of the movie is pretty much about how he's lost it cuz he came home to his wife screwing someone else to their wedding song. He hears it when its playing and when it's not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom