Mulkey story coming? ** ITS HERE | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Mulkey story coming? ** ITS HERE

Reaction Score
Good story.

It’s a profile piece, giving the good and the bad.

It doesn’t present any of its info as ground breaking or shocking, but just part of the portrait.

There was more detail in some areas than I was familiar with, so that was interesting/informative. And there were a bunch of themes about her personality, her style, that explains some of her behaviors.

She is very much the kind of person who once you cross a line with her, she cuts you out permanently. I don’t know that that is a good or bad trait (tho prob more the latter), but the article has many such examples. And kinda explains some of the Griner stuff.

The article does what a good article does — provides info good and bad, largely without judgment, but adds up to a fuller picture of Kim. And allows the reader to decide what they think of her behavior and choices.
I second this. Actually, the timing of it couldn't be any better with the game tipping off at 1 either. It helps the game as a whole because it's a story that provides a different viewpoint to a key character in NCAAW today.

Not sure what made Coach Mulkey so concerned. The comments made about by former players could be seen as no different than what we've in stories about other coaches. Some will remember good things, others bad, based on how they perceived the situation. That's part of being a human being.

Reaction Score
I read the article and thought it was actually pretty good. It discussed Mulkey pretty fairly and touched on things a lot of us long time women's basketball fans already knew. This piece would have largely went unnoticed but Mulkey's tantrum in the press conference is what led us all to believe that this was going to be a more juicy and damaging piece than what it was.

If anything her statement makes me wonder even more now, what exactly was she afraid of and potentially hiding now.

Reaction Score
She hasn't spoken to her father in 38 years, largely a result of his divorcing her mom and marrying a much younger woman. That speaks volumes (to me) about her ability to cut people off.

And the cutting people off now makes it clear why she doesnt like these profiles. For her, these are done and settled matters that she has no interest in revisiting.
You can choose your friends you can’t choose your family .
My father didn’t talk to his sister for 30 years before he passed 2 stubborn personalities.
Her son hasn’t spoken to her for 15 years before passing happens all the time

Reaction Score
Basically a very long and in-depth "She did it/does it her way" piece. As a Big 12 guy I found some of the Baylor insider stuff interesting but hardly earth shattering. She is who she is,

Reaction Score
Basically a very long and in-depth "She did it/does it her way" piece. As a Big 12 guy I found some of the Baylor insider stuff interesting but hardly earth shattering. I could picture a hundred coaches doing some of the same stuff.

My one quibble with the article is that it probably could've provided more context on how tough she is on her players -- much of what was described is common among elite coaches like Geno et al.

Reaction Score
Not taking a side in this but something has just felt very off about LSU this season, for defending champions there seem to be a lot of distractions and turmoil just my own speculation. Calling your team selfish after a tournament win just isn’t a good look.

You look at Hurley’s team there seems to be a lot more of a repoir together, everyone seems to be on the same page. You can tell he’s had a lot of conversations with Geno with how to deal with pressure and distractions.
it's not easy to be on the same page when you bring in three transfers to start and combine them with some other narcissistic personalities already on the team.....

Reaction Score
And for those who wondered "why now?" ... if this piece came out in July, everyone would've said "(a) who cares about this right now and (b) why the hell are they releasing a CBB piece over the summer and not during CBB season."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So I plowed my way through that Magnum opus. There's really not much new in there. It's reasonably balanced although it definitely takes shots at her. Kind of a shameless attention grab given that it's during the NCAA tournament. I'm not sure what Mulkey was so concerned/upset about. It seems like a fair, if slightly unflattering look at her. I'll be curious to see if she makes good on her lawsuit. There really doesn't seem to be anything in there that would be a basis. Of course, maybe the purpose of the conference lawsuit threat was to keep a specific piece of information out of the article, and it was successful. Who knows?

Reaction Score
If you don't have time to waste...don't bother reading. Nothing you haven't experienced in your own life or heard before. She assumed the worst.

Last edited:

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
The article repeatedly shows Mulkey to be, if not a liar, a dissembler. She yelled at her press conference that she would not talk to the reporter. Yet, through her attorneys, she commented on many of the statements in the draft presented to her.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I just realized that according to reports - and Mulkey - this all started before they won it all last year (how long they asked for interviews).

Also, I continue to repeat, this is a well respected writer and author. I doubt his agenda is anything nefarious, unless you consider folks who write articles and want to be recognized for their work as evil somehow.
that's mulkey

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I agree with others that there's nothing unexpected and very little new in the piece. But it is nice seeing it all in one place. Kim is complicated. There is more to admire and more to dislike in her than in most people. Everything's black and white to her.

I'll give her props for raising two great young adults. I dunno much about her son, but he seems a good egg, and I think the world of Makenzie.

Reaction Score
it's not easy to be on the same page when you bring in three transfers to start and combine them with some other narcissistic personalities already on the team.....
You’re right but despite all these distractions they are playing for another championship so you gotta give it to to them there. Would it drive me crazy as a fan no question but maybe Mulky is taking pressure off her players. I do think Mulky and her team embrace the drama lol.

Reactions: TAK
Reaction Score
You’re right but despite all these distractions they are playing for another championship so you gotta give it to to them there. Would it drive me crazy as a fan no question but maybe Mulky is taking pressure off her players. I do think Mulky and her team embrace the drama lol.
her transfers are more than your run-of-the-mill players.........they can go 8-9 deep with high-quality talent........it doesn't always look pretty as in today's game but they usually manage........UCLA had them, but as usual Close's coaching was questionable, and Kiki Rice looked like a pedestrian guard for the most part....

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Maybe we blame Pat Forde for this one? I feel like his tweet started this all and it snowballed from there…

I haven’t read the article yet, will probably at some point… but I also think that it was what we knew all along - it gave context as to the type of person Mulkey is… but we already knew what type of person she was to begin with.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
her transfers are more than your run-of-the-mill players.........they can go 8-9 deep with high-quality talent........it doesn't always look pretty as in today's game but they usually manage........UCLA had them, but as usual Close's coaching was questionable, and Kiki Rice looked like a pedestrian guard for the most part....
To me KiKi has always been something less than what her press was coming out of high school. Also, even though I am not a Mulkey fan, she does seem to be good at recruiting good players.

Reaction Score
I read the article and thought it was actually pretty good. It discussed Mulkey pretty fairly and touched on things a lot of us long time women's basketball fans already knew. This piece would have largely went unnoticed but Mulkey's tantrum in the press conference is what led us all to believe that this was going to be a more juicy and damaging piece than what it was.

If anything her statement makes me wonder even more now, what exactly was she afraid of and potentially hiding now.
I never would have read without her tantrum. And it confirms what I suspected. She is just as psychotic as every other coach is whose livelihood depends on teenagers.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I learned anything new about her. It all was consistent with things that have previously been reported. Maybe it's that all of the issues are in the same article. I have to think money is the only reason why any parent would let their child anywhere near her.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I learned anything new about her. It all was consistent with things that have previously been reported. Maybe it's that all of the issues are in the same article. I have to think money is the only reason why any parent would let their child anywhere near her.
NIL has only been a thing for the last few years. That wouldn't really explain the decades prior to then. We're talking hundreds of families over the course of her career.

Reaction Score
I think it’s important to remember that with the growth of women’s basketball, there are a lot of new watchers that might not know the kind of person Mulkey is. I think what’s getting somewhat ignored is how the story indicates there was a huge fight that involved spit and glass being thrown. If the actual fight or the tirade associated with the fight happened in front of recruits, how on earth do parents of other recruits feel safe sending their kids there?

Reaction Score
I'm calling DCF. lol But seriously, I think players think she's the cool aunt or grandma and they gravitate towards her. And she is a great coach.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The story was on the front page of the WaPo this morning. Not the front page of Sports, the front page of the newspaper. I wonder if that would have happened without Kim's tantrums. There was also a column about the LSU team on the front page of Sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom