Mulkey says she will not outcoach Geno in their matchup! | The Boneyard

Mulkey says she will not outcoach Geno in their matchup!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I commented on this in another thread. I think that is an inappropriate comment for a coach to make before a game (maybe afterward would be OK). Can you imagine how she would react if one of her players said something similar? For example:

Didi Richards: I'm not going to outplay Paige. If we're going to win the game, my teammates will have to get the job done.

Even if Didi said that in private, I'm sure Kim would let her have it for the comment. And what Kim said was in public.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
She's one of the few coaches around who has an even-steven (4/4) record v. Geno.
If only she'd stop throwing things . . .
But she chooses when to play UCONN - e.g. started up the series when she had BG, then dropped it after BG left. Started again recently when she felt she had the better team again.

Reaction Score
Gamesmanship. After a lackluster performance against Michigan , she wants to press her players to be ready. In other words, don’t expect me to save you, you’ve gotta save yourselves.

by no means is Kim waving the white flag, and she absolutely will be coaching her ass off. Just trying to motivate her players.

Reaction Score
Whether or not Kim’s comment was appropriate or not - ??, gracious or not - NOT, the one thing it was is accurate. Kim will definitely not outcoach Geno.
Tongue-in cheek at best. Nothing gracious or complimentary about it. If Baylor were to win (PLEASE - NO!!!), and someone suggests that she out-coached Geno, is she going to deny it and say, "No, he outcoached me, but my players outplayed his players and made up the difference." ??

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I commented on this in another thread. I think that is an inappropriate comment for a coach to make before a game (maybe afterward would be OK). Can you imagine how she would react if one of her players said something similar? For example:

Didi Richards: I'm not going to outplay Paige. If we're going to win the game, my teammates will have to get the job done.

Even if Didi said that in private, I'm sure Kim would let her have it for the comment. And what Kim said was in public.
Big difference between "playing" (Paige and Didi) and "coaching" ( Geno & Kim). Kim knows what time it is: she does not have a very deep team or a skilled enough team to throw any wrinkles at Geno which he has not seen before. Kim is just being realistic. Baylor wins maybe 1 of the 5 position battles. UCONN wins if it comes down to the bench even if you were to generously consider the coaching even.

Reaction Score
Geno has always said that Monday nights Elite game is the hardest to win to get to the Final 4.......DITTO.....UCONN is playing at peak performance, but needs to tighten up the defense on open 3 point shooters....Help defense will be the key on Monday......I cannot remember the 5 loses, but UCONN has a streak going win Elite 8 WINS..........UCONN wins going away by 15+......

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno has always said that Monday nights Elite game is the hardest to win to get to the Final 4.......DITTO.....UCONN is playing at peak performance, but needs to tighten up the defense on open 3 point shooters....Help defense will be the key on Monday......I cannot remember the 5 loses, but UCONN has a streak going win Elite 8 WINS..........UCONN wins going away by 15+......
Baylor's 3 Point shooting should not be a major concern for UCONN in this matchup. Baylor has two starters (Queen and Didi) that have yet to attempt a 3 point shot all year which is pretty remarkable considering Didi is the PG. When Baylor has the ball UCONN needs to crash the paint and defensive rebound. UCONN also need to put pressure on Didii and get her sped up. Didi pounds the rock at the top of the key for at least 1/2 the shot clock and she is not a very good dribbler, doesn't have a mid range, and doesn't pass well on the move.

Reaction Score

You are reading too much into it! I like her dry sense of humour! It was not supposed to be a serious statement. Geno have wacky statements all the time, why can’t she have some fun?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Just FYI she said the same exact thing back in 2017-18 in the halftime interview of a game vs. Stanford ("I'm not gonna outcoach Tara"). It was a totally lopsided win for Baylor, at a time when Stanford was struggling. Something like a 25 point margin of victory.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The sound that Mulkey enjoys most is the sound of her own voice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom