Much respect to Chantel Osahor | The Boneyard

Much respect to Chantel Osahor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
You know how easy it would be to make fun o the kid. She's big, she shoots flat footed, she needs all four of her teammates on the floor to help her up...and she would still make any team better with her inclusion on the roster. She has done her damn thing throughout ALL regional bracket play, helping her team to the Final Four along the way. She's a force from distance, in the post, and on the glass, and she and Plum are the reasons U-Dub deserves to go to Indy.

Way to go Chantel! Unless you're playing the *other* Huskies, I'll be rooting for you!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just posted this in the game thread.

There were times Osahor didn’t know if she would get to this point, particularly during a trying first year at UW in which she was struck by a car while riding her bicycle.

The accident happened after a team practice at Hec Edmundson Pavilion on the night before what was supposed to be Osahor’s first UW game in November 2013. She was riding on the Burke-Gillman Trail back toward her dorm when a young male driver failed to stop at a trail crossing, striking Osahor, flipping her over and onto the hood of the car.

Osahor had damaged joints in her right shoulder, which absorbed the brunt of her fall, and on which doctors later recommended surgery. (She elected rehab instead, and pain still lingers in the shoulder.)

The accident was an ominous start to a frustrating freshman season that was also derailed by a stress fracture in her right foot and the discovery of a benign tumor in her right knee, which was surgically removed after the season.

“There were definitely times where I was like, ‘I’m done,’ ” she said. She credited her teammates and her Nigerian-born parents, Dennis and Vicky, for their support to help her through the mounting injuries

Mucho respect to this young woman.

Washington’s Chantel Osahor makes her Husky women’s basketball teammates better

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I love her game. She is slow up and down the court and does not have enough stamina, but she is also extremely quick, strong, and immovable. And she is a great shooter - she hits a good percentage from three and doesn't miss in the low post or from the free throw line and she is a good passer. And Washington and their coaches have developed their offense and defense to incorporate her strengths and minimize her weaknesses. I could see them having a hard time against a Uconn or ND, but Tara is no slouch as a coach and she couldn't get her team past them.

I posted elsewhere that I thought Stanford might come out flat because the ND game was their 'NC' game like the FF game against Uconn in about 8 years ago when they just folded up in the next game. To some degree I think this happened today, but Washington won this game, Stanford didn't give it to them.

Reaction Score
I just can't see how she would get a shot off if we play them. Can you imagine Stewie letting her take a flat footed uncontested three? Plus, we would run her up and down the court. Gotta beat Texas first though.

Reaction Score
She is freakishly (in a good sense) athletic with a great bb IQ...GIVEN she lacks the usual conditioning a high level athlete usually has. Great instincts, good balance and foot work, an unassuming quickness. As Rebecca Lobo said -- you can'take help but watch her on every possession.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
She's one of the most unique players women's basketball has seen in a while. She reminds me a lot of Janel McCarville, an exceptional passing post who dominates the glass and is strong as an ox. Her flat footed three pointers today made me laugh out loud because they are so unorthodox looking, yet remarkably effective. She's also lightning quick and has nearly a 2:1 A/TO ratio as a center. You don't see that everyday--especially on a team where literally every other player in the lineup has a 1:1 or negative A/TO ratio. I'm excited to see her in the Final Four. I still cannot believe Washington or Syracuse will be playing for a national title.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Osahor wouldn't care if the UConn players beat her down the floor. She would play at her pace and hope UConn didn't leave a straggler to guard her when she gets into 3 point range. I couldn't understand why she is so open on most of her 3 point shots. I was actually more impressed with her rebounding, since she doesn't jump for balls. She just seems to be in the right place at the right time. She also has good footwork around the low post. Don't think she would have as much success against UConn's defense.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
With all due respect to Osahor (who has an amazing shot), she uses her body a lot and doesn't get called for the fouls. I was also SHOCKED that Stanford didn't press but instead allowed Plum to slowly amble up the floor on every possession (typically crossing at 22 left on the clock) to allow Osahor time to get up the court. Also, the way to win is to sprint down on offense, not allow Osahor time to get set on defense.

Given Syracuse's style, I expect that UConn fans will get their wish come true and get to witness a beatdown by UConn of Syracuse in the final game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I just can't see how she would get a shot off if we play them. Can you imagine Stewie letting her take a flat footed uncontested three? Plus, we would run her up and down the court. Gotta beat Texas first though.

Well sir, there's nothing wrong with your vision. I don't see it either. Think about this: If UConn held Kelsey Mitchell to 8 points (and she's a lot more mobile than Osahor), what would make anyone think she is going to score at will against the huskies? She doesn't even bend her knees when she shoots free throws. Please don't get me wrong. I think she's phenomenal. I like her.

But don't look for her to have the kind of success against UConn (if we play them) that she's enjoyed during the tournament up to now. All of the shots she's been taking were clean "OPEN" looks with no one in her face. She shoots a flat ball, no arc (very easy to block if you're up on her). You know she will not get those kind of looks against us. It won't happen. Geno would never allow her to beat them. Remember, NOBODY plays defense like UConn does. Think about this.....when was the last time a center had a 24 point/18 rebound game against UConn? I'll wait. :rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
With all due respect to Osahor (who has an amazing shot), she uses her body a lot and doesn't get called for the fouls. I was also SHOCKED that Stanford didn't press but instead allowed Plum to slowly amble up the floor on every possession (typically crossing at 22 left on the clock) to allow Osahor time to get up the court. Also, the way to win is to sprint down on offense, not allow Osahor time to get set on defense.

Given Syracuse's style, I expect that UConn fans will get their wish come true and get to witness a beatdown by UConn of Syracuse in the final game.

There is nothing so sweet than the smell of orange nectar in the springtime. Nectar that's even better when its consumed..........................quickly. :D

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If UConn weren't in this, those other Huskies would be my favorite. Good fundamentals, great chemistry. But I can't imagine Osafur, who is definitely one of a kind (would Geno let her skip warmups?) getting her 3 point shot off against Stewart or guarding Stewart all over the floor. While UConn hasn't faced any like her, they have the antidote in a 6'4"phenomenal athlete who can play all over the floor on both ends, and I know UW has not faced anyone like her. I hope we get to see it. Their match up with Syracuse is interesting. SU seems like a tougher version of DePaul. BTW, found out today that Hilsman lives around the corner from my son in a Syracuse suburb.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
My guess is that you will see Lou lagging up the court to be in Osahor's face, while Stewie takes her usual place down low. Then Stewie would pick her up when she moves on down into the post. If, of course, we end up playing them and if, of course, the ball is not stolen by our guards before it gets to that point, and if, of course, her shot is not blocked by Lou.

Reaction Score

If Stewart chases her to the 3 point line she will drive. And if anyone gets in front of her they will be dead.

Reaction Score
If Stewart chases her to the 3 point line she will drive. And if anyone gets in front of her they will be dead.

Very funny, Checkmate! When you mentioned driving around Stewart, I had the image of Osahor, slow as molasses, having her shot blocked multiple times by Bre BEFORE Chantel got to the basket. What's the record for blocking the same player's shots in a single possession?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Chantel reminds me of Kaili McClaren, only better. Remember Kaili was an outstanding passer -- Geno once referred to her as the Bret Favre of women's basketball -- and had a pretty good mid-range shot. Kaili was always very skilled and had a great feel for the game, much like Chantel.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Interesting. To me Osahor is a very good player inhibited by her talent. She has no wish to be great. She's lost 70 pounds (!) since she's been at WU yet could lose another good 40 or 50. She clearly does nothing to improve her stamina, nothing to push herself. During the season I'd frequently see her teammates playing 4 on 5 since she'd deemed it too strenuous to get back on defense. Her as the trailer on offense is potent against zones, and she shoots a great 3. She's clearly an immovable object once she plants herself in the paint, and because of her the team will never come out of their 2-3. Nevertheless every time I see her I'm reminded of Samuel Johnson's sexist remark about woman's preaching. "(It) is like a dog's walking on his hind legs. It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all."

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
If UConn weren't in this, those other Huskies would be my favorite. Good fundamentals, great chemistry. But I can't imagine Osafur, who is definitely one of a kind (would Geno let her skip warmups?) getting her 3 point shot off against Stewart or guarding Stewart all over the floor. While UConn hasn't faced any like her, they have the antidote in a 6'4"phenomenal athlete who can play all over the floor on both ends, and I know UW has not faced anyone like her. I hope we get to see it. Their match up with Syracuse is interesting. SU seems like a tougher version of DePaul. BTW, found out today that Hilsman lives around the corner from my son in a Syracuse suburb.
hopefully his crib doesnt get Tyler Phommachanh'd :oops:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Interesting. To me Osahor is a very good player inhibited by her talent. She has no wish to be great. She's lost 70 pounds (!) since she's been at WU yet could lose another good 40 or 50. She clearly does nothing to improve her stamina, nothing to push herself. During the season I'd frequently see her teammates playing 4 on 5 since she'd deemed it too strenuous to get back on defense. Her as the trailer on offense is potent against zones, and she shoots a great 3. She's clearly an immovable object once she plants herself in the paint, and because of her the team will never come out of their 2-3. Nevertheless every time I see her I'm reminded of Samuel Johnson's sexist remark about woman's preaching. "(It) is like a dog's walking on his hind legs. It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all."

This is a pretty condescending post for a player who just dominated her regional. I think losing 70 pounds is evidence of working extremely hard to become a better player. She also needs to play close to 40 minutes a night (she has played in 145 minutes out of 160 in the NCAA tournament), so she's smart to pick and choose her moments of when she's going to sprint down the floor and when she will conserve energy. It might be a different story if she had sufficient support off the bench. Also, her statline this weekend was nothing short of great:

vs. Kentucky: 19 points, 17 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 TO, 7-12 FG, 4-8 3pt
vs. Stanford: 24 points, 18 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks, 0 TO, 8-11 FG, 3-5 3pt

She also was a MAJOR factor in the outstanding defensive efforts against Erica McCall and Brionna Jones. Not bad for a player who is 40-50 pounds overweight and can't get back defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom