most underrated player? | The Boneyard

most underrated player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
since it is that time of year again, where we have little to talk about regarding the current team I thought I would ask people who they thought was the most underrated player to play for UCONN. I know this can be taken a few ways (underrated by us fans, media, other teams etc) and I kept it vague.
My pick for us fans would be Kelly Shumacher (kind of an early Stokes with a bit more offense).
For media it might just be Stokes. (their take in the national championship that playing with her on offense was like playing shorthanded was laughable).

Reaction Score
Jessica Moore. She played the national championship game as a junior with an acl injury.
Without her no championship. She rehabbed until January of the next season and contributed to another national championship.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Historically - great question and I like the Shuey answer - three others from the DT era - Maria Conlon, Willnett Crocket, and Jessica Moore. And really Ann Strother/Barb Turner as well - people remember their last two years and forget how good and how essential they were to the 2003/4 NCs.
And Kalana Greene - her going down in the early 2007-8 season doomed that team as much because of her defense as her offense.

Picked 25th in the draft Moore ended up with a 10 year pro career.
Greene drafted 13th with 5 years so far.

Morgan - having the NC announcer say she deserved to be an AA this past year, doesn't seem that 'under-appreciated' to me!

Reaction Score
boy hard to argue with any of your picks, though I think Tuck will get her due, she hasn't yet but she will.

Reaction Score
since it is that time of year again, where we have little to talk about regarding the current team I thought I would ask people who they thought was the most underrated player to play for UCONN. I know this can be taken a few ways (underrated by us fans, media, other teams etc) and I kept it vague.
My pick for us fans would be Kelly Shumacher (kind of an early Stokes with a bit more offense).
For media it might just be Stokes. (their take in the national championship that playing with her on offense was like playing shorthanded was laughable).
Maria Conlon is without a doubt the MOST underrated player in UConn Women's BB. At the start of this year --Morgan Tuck, but she became a much appreciated player by Geno and Fans. Shuie--Got all kinds of praise for her 9 or 10 or 11 NCAA final blocks--she was appreciated then and now. Maria was a great three point shooter, she played along side of DT and played the point and shooting guard and any thing she did was overshadowed in the brightness of DT celeb. Maria never missed a free throw in crunch time. I've always believed if Geno had confidence in Maria in the ND final 4 game some of those 15 missed 3's by DT may have been taken by Maria and made---yes I am a biased fan and lover of everything Conlon from the Naugatuck Valley--a real deal Connecticut born and bred young women. I met a truck load of Maria Fans last year in Knoxville Tenn (they were from Derby Ct). I am not saying all those other players mentioned were not superb--Barbara Turner --was under appreciated too--she was less than 5-10 and played against huge Bales of Duke and almost beat them--until she dehydrated and cramped up--she almost won that game..
Moore's claim to fame as far as I'm concerned is she pushed her teammate thru a pick under the basket. She was a project for CD big with few skills until CD took charge of her. She was good.

Reaction Score
Historically - great question and I like the Shuey answer - three others from the DT era - Maria Conlon, Willnett Crocket, and Jessica Moore. And really Ann Strother/Barb Turner as well - people remember their last two years and forget how good and how essential they were to the 2003/4 NCs.
And Kalana Greene - her going down in the early 2007-8 season doomed that team as much because of her defense as her offense.

Picked 25th in the draft Moore ended up with a 10 year pro career.
Greene drafted 13th with 5 years so far.

Morgan - having the NC announcer say she deserved to be an AA this past year, doesn't seem that 'under-appreciated' to me!

No question in my mind about this one. Ann Strother is criminally underrated.

Reaction Score
I would say Kelly Schumaker....I also had the opportunity to meet her in Tampa. I recognized her immediately: she was a little taken aback that someone knew who she was! She posed for pictures with some "Flat Fergus and Flat Mona Pants"(pictures of Boston Terriers to promote the Mona Pants Foundation for Boston Terrier Rescue out of NC). She could not have been more gracious.. She will always be one of my favorites.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I think Schuie is a great choice. She excelled in the biggest game, Tuck didn't.
Tuck played pivotal minutes in the entire Tmt her freshman yr on one knee and really helped her team to a National Championship. She obviously had an off shooting night in the NC after draining everything vs MD. We're all splitting hairs but- I can't remember how Morgan did vs Notre Dame this yr- away? Or how about vs #1 So Carolina? Or the semis vs Md? Stewie only got 8 pts in the NC game and she was given the MVP award- which was a bit of a gift. U r really down on Morgan and our 2015 team- same negativity from the other thread of 2014 vs 2015?
Your perrogotive! But I don't think that one game defines anybody- especially Morgan Tuck.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
boy hard to argue with any of your picks, though I think Tuck will get her due, she hasn't yet but she will.

Tuck got plenty of due. She's not underrated, she's properly rated. She'll be a pre-season AA next fall.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Tiffany Hayes is underrated and underregarded. She was an excellent defender and dynamic and versatile offensive player. Her primary flaw was getting too excited and underperforming in some big games, but she was an important cog in the 90-game winning streak. No one else ever started her career 90-0. Tiff came up big against Louisville when Jeff Walz decided not to guard her. She also was the key player in our tourney win over Cal when the other players were struggling. Tiff finished in the top 10 in UConn scoring, I believe, and set the scoring recored with 32 points in a HALF. When Maya was still on the team, Tiff had a great game, causing Geno to comment that, when Tiff plays like that, she is the best player on the floor. Tiff's name is not on the Gampel wall, but she made a major contribution to her team over 4 years.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think Tiffany Hayes is underrated and underregarded. She was an excellent defender and dynamic and versatile offensive player. Her primary flaw was getting too excited and underperforming in some big games, but she was an important cog in the 90-game winning streak. No one else ever started her career 90-0. Tiff came up big against Louisville when Jeff Walz decided not to guard her. She also was the key player in our tourney win over Cal when the other players were struggling. Tiff finished in the top 10 in UConn scoring, I believe, and set the scoring recored with 32 points in a HALF.
Yes, she was #10 when she graduated. Hartley, KML and Stewart have since passed her.

Reaction Score
Without question Morgan Tuck. If she didn't come back and play the way she did, UConn would not have won number 10!

While they won't not have been as dominated, UConn still wins with Stokes starting. Moriah, Breanna, and Kaleena are that good.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes, she was #10 when she graduated. Hartley, KML and Stewart have since passed her.
Bria was solid, and Kaleena and Stewie are great. That's pretty good company.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I know it's a bit over-the-top, but I think T-Law and Polly deserve a nod. They work hard in practice and are good team mates. They never quit hustling on the court, and always are there to acknowledge others. If they both quit the game tomorrow, they would be missed.

Reaction Score
I think Tiffany Hayes is underrated and underregarded. She was an excellent defender and dynamic and versatile offensive player. Her primary flaw was getting too excited and underperforming in some big games, but she was an important cog in the 90-game winning streak. No one else ever started her career 90-0. Tiff came up big against Louisville when Jeff Walz decided not to guard her. She also was the key player in our tourney win over Cal when the other players were struggling. Tiff finished in the top 10 in UConn scoring, I believe, and set the scoring recored with 32 points in a HALF. When Maya was still on the team, Tiff had a great game, causing Geno to comment that, when Tiff plays like that, she is the best player on the floor. Tiff's name is not on the Gampel wall, but she made a major contribution to her team over 4 years.
You said it all. "underperformed in big games". IMO, she was a big factor in Maya going out with a loss.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
Morgan... Valley.
I was thinking that myself........GREAT passer!! Getting autographs one day my mom was teasing me about Sue Bird and that I can only spell players with 3 letters (I use to run up and down the stairs at games to spell my favorite players name when they scored) and Morgan said "Moe is 3 letters!" ...........................so I started spelling out MOE as well...........out of guilt...........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom