Most satisfying home game you've attended? | The Boneyard

Most satisfying home game you've attended?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
What's your favorite experience seeing the UConn women's team in our home state? A number of criteria might come into play- the opponent, the result, the vibe, how good your seat was, etc.

I haven't lived in CT since 2008, but I can give a few:

-2009 opening round of the NCAA tourney vs Vermont. Not that thrilling, but it was my first UCOnn game live!

-2010 BET semfinal against ND. UConn won 71 games in a row!

-November 2010 versus Baylor. Maya is Brilliant, Baylor comes back, Bria has that moment where she finally comes alive and hits clutch shots.

-December 2010 versus Florida State. I'm one row behind Kemba Walker and maybe two behind Tina Charles, but I'm almost as close to Maya going for 41 while UCOnn wins 89 in a row.

January 2011 against Duke. Yikes, it was almost funny how big a blowout that proved to be.

-BET finals 2011. That was an airtight game, but what an exciting second half against ND!

-November 2011 against Stanford. UCOnn needed this game....and got it in fairly exciting fashion. KML had a freshman moment that outshined even Bria against Baylor.

-2012 BET finals. Tough road at times, but UConn made ST JOhn's pay and then beat ND again! Great game, standout for KML.

I attended a number of games last season, but sadly had very little in the way of fond memories.

I'm hoping for some great home games in 2013-14. What are some of your favorites? NO, I wasn't there for the first time Tennessee came, or that crazy UConn-LVs game in 2003 that included D's 3/4 court shot, or the infamous Bird at the Buzzer game in the 2001 BET finals. If you were there, I have to be a little bit jealous. :)

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
UConn/Tennessee at the Civic Center -- December 2000. Huge snowstorm expected and concerns that game attendees will be stranded in Hartford. We got to the mall a couple of hours before the game and it was packed with fans. There were very very few empty seats. Everyone felt special for being there and the mood extended onto the court. After the game Geno picked up a microphone (a rarity at the time) and thanked the fans for coming. Nobody wanted to leave.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
UConn/Tennessee at the Civic Center -- December 2000. Huge snowstorm expected and concerns that game attendees will be stranded in Hartford. We got to the mall a couple of hours before the game and it was packed with fans. There were very very few empty seats. Everyone felt special for being there and the mood extended onto the court. After the game Geno picked up a microphone (a rarity at the time) and thanked the fans for coming. Nobody wanted to leave.
My second favorite game that I attended.

Reaction Score
UConn vs ND on January 16, 2010. This was the first time ESPN did a College GameDay on the women's side. It was also Skylar Diggins Freshman year. UConn pounded the Irish 70-46 and SD looked like a Freshman. Our seats were center court 3 rows back. Awesome. Gampel was rocking. Doors opened at 7:30 for the 9 pm nationally televised game.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
First UConn/Tenn game....MLK Day in 1995....great atmosphere....77-66 for the good guys!
The poll voters normally came out in Monday's paper with the weekly rankings. That week....and that week alone...
they delayed the results till Tuesday because the winner of that game would be #1 for sure.

Rebecca fouled out with about 5 minutes to go...we had the lead but the game was still dicey. As she left the court with her fifth foul
she grabbed Kara Wolters and seemed to be threatening her to play well...or else! Kara did just fine in the last few minutes.

Reaction Score
Big East Championship at Gampel Pavillion ND (1 seed) at UConn (2 seed). Sue Bird's last second shot wins the Championship. Still get chills.

Reaction Score
We were at the first Tennessee game in 1995. It's hard to remember how amazed and proud Connecticut people were that we had a team that could beat a national powerhouse and go to number 1. Gampel just went nuts, and none of us wanted to leave.

The game we didn't see that I'm most sorry we missed was that 2003 Tennessee game when D just cut their hearts out.

Reaction Score
UNC at Gampel, Maya's freshman year. The last time UNC had been in town was the worst beating I remember the Huskies ever taking, at the hands of Latta etc. Two years later, instead of the HCC, it's Gampel, the passion is high. UNC breaks out early, are we about to see a replay? No, no way, freshman Maya Moore says, "Those days are over." She wasn't going to let the Huskies lose, and by the second half it was UConn on the pedal time.

Reaction Score
The FSU game when UConn wins no. 89. The game was never in doubt, but the
XL Center was jammed to the rafters and really rocking. Very exciting night.

Reaction Score
Uconn/Tennessee. Got last minute tickets. Taurasi hits a 3/4 court shot to end the half. Then hits a big three to tie and send the game into OT.

http://espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=230040041

My favorite as well. Had seats three rows behind the UConn bench - connections with a big dollar donor who couldn't make the game.
The snow storm UConn/Tennessee game is #2. I didn't care what the governor said. I was going to be at that game...no matter what!

Bird at the Buzzer is #3.

Beyond that, any and all wins against ND - but the last one was the sweetest.

Really...those three are neck and neck, and ask me tomorrow and the order may be different.

Reaction Score
UNC at Gampel, Maya's freshman year. The last time UNC had been in town was the worst beating I remember the Huskies ever taking, at the hands of Latta etc. Two years later, instead of the HCC, it's Gampel, the passion is high. UNC breaks out early, are we about to see a replay? No, no way, freshman Maya Moore says, "Those days are over." She wasn't going to let the Huskies lose, and by the second half it was UConn on the pedal time.
That would be #3 for me, after the two TN games mentioned above. Glad someone mentioned it cuz it was a really big game. #4 wd be the Baylor game Bria's freshman year.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I have a question. Now that Holly is the head coach. If Tennessee and UConn play again. Do you folks see it as the same with Pat as head coach?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I have a question. Now that Holly is the head coach. If Tennessee and UConn play again. Do you folks see it as the same with Pat as head coach?
No, not the same. And it will never be the same.

But beating TN will always be fun because the fans are the same.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score

I agree it's not the same. I do like the athletic type players and up tempo style Holly wants. Even though it does just feel different without Pat on the sideline.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I agree it's not the same. I do like the athletic type players and up tempo style Holly wants. Even though it does just feel different without Pat on the sideline.

I don't see much difference in the type of player that Holly recruits and how Pat recruited. And not much difference in the offense they run.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I don't see much difference in the type of player that Holly recruits and how Pat recruited. And not much difference in the offense they run.
I was thinking the difference between Harrison and Brewer type. Yes I know the recruits can vary a bit. Depending on how good and what type player a coach is looking for.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
UConn vs ND on January 16, 2010. This was the first time ESPN did a College GameDay on the women's side. It was also Skylar Diggins Freshman year. UConn pounded the Irish 70-46 and SD looked like a Freshman. Our seats were center court 3 rows back. Awesome. Gampel was rocking. Doors opened at 7:30 for the 9 pm nationally televised game.
Was at that game also- and it was rockin and we were flying- looked like we were scrimmaging a D-2 or D-3 team!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Was at that game also- and it was a clinic and a route! And they had a lot of talent. Their players could hardly make it up and down the court in the 2nd half!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score

DD - u have a way of cutting right thru to the heart of it!

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Uconn/Tennessee. Got last minute tickets. Taurasi hits a 3/4 court shot to end the half. Then hits a big three to tie and send the game into OT.

http://espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=230040041[/quote]

It was a great game - What I remember best, when she launched that rocket at the half, was saying, "I think it might go in". then jumpin up & down screaming, "it went in! it went in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom