Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
KIAH
STEF
STEWIE

At least in this last game, we saw that Geno is finally comfortable having Kiah on the floor alongside Stef for long stretches, and even with Stewie on the floor at the same time, for a little while at least.

....Might this combo form the most intimidating back line defense ever seen at UCONN?

Tina Charles was a great backline defender, and Maya at PF was awesome for her size, especially from the help side. During the one year when these 3 overlapped, Kelly was an exceptional defender as we all know. But that line pales, IMHO, when compared to what I saw Stanford going up against in Monday's game when Stef, Kiah and Stewie were all on the floor together. Even just with Stef and Kiah it was a nightmare for their bigs within 10' of the basket. Adding Stewie made it almost impossible for the Trees to get off a decent shot or rebound the ball without some kind of lucky bounce.

Although I didn't see them play, I am guessing you'd have to go back to Wolters/Lobo/Elliott to find a great 3-woman backline of comparable quality on defense.

I think the Stef/Stewie/Kiah combo on display during the Stanford game was the most intimidating 3-woman back line I've ever seen in the game.

Can anyone else think of other 3-player backlines in the women's game that have been this intimidating defensively?

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There have been a number of pretty good one over the years - Charles, Moore, Greene; Cash, Williams, Jones to name a couple. Not probably the shot blocking threat, but shut down defenders.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
There have been a number of pretty good one over the years - Charles, Moore, Greene; Cash, Williams, Jones to name a couple. Not probably the shot blocking threat, but shut down defenders.

True - and I liked the team with Charles/Moore/Greene in particular, but I'm thinking of a true back line, a F/C/F group of intimidators in the paint.

Reaction Score
I don't know how many of her shots they got, but when Chiney has multiple shots blocked in a game, the back line D is doing a heckuva job!!

Reaction Score
USC 1983? with the McGees and Cheryl Miller
UConn 95 with Lobo, Wolters, and fierce Jamelle
Tenn 98 with Geter, Catchings, Holdsclaw

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I don't know how many of her shots they got, but when Chiney has multiple shots blocked in a game, the back line D is doing a heckuva job!!

I think Kiah might have had one or two that weren't even credited, and if Stewie had more minutes she might have had more of a block party herself!!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Based on the recent threads I've read, I thought Dolson was part of the back line of Jefferson, Hartley and Dolson.

FWIW I too think Dolson spends too much time away from the basket but this year it might be the key to keeping her out of foul trouble.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Based on the recent threads I've read, I thought Dolson was part of the back line of Jefferson, Hartley and Dolson.

FWIW I too think Dolson spends too much time away from the basket but this year it might be the key to keeping her out of foul trouble.
In the Hartford game I thought outside the two threes the rest of her offense came down low and it was a good mix. In the Stanford game they were packing it in so much that I think it made more sense for her to be out side setting screens and trying to free up the lane area a bit for cutters. A low post needs some freedom to operate and at least in the early stages she was pretty boxed in.

Reaction Score
1. Cash, Williams, Jones
2. Cheryl Miller and the McGee twins Paula and Pamela

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members