Most fun you have had watching a UConn loss | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Most fun you have had watching a UConn loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This one is easy for me. The 6 OT game stands out because i was there for it live. As the game was going on during the 4th OT, I realized what was happening and how historic a moment it would be. I was cheering like hell for UConn to win but after the loss i wasnt mad or upset. I was grateful that i was able to witness the greatest game in college basketball history.

Reaction Score
In 99 we lost at home (GP) to Miami. The ending was raw as el-Amin didn't even get off a shot to tie and I left feeling empty (I think we only had one loss at the time and I had NC hopes on the brain) but the team was so exciting that year. I was in the front row by the visiting bench and my late friend and I were in a verbal battle with players 10-13 and some HUGE guy behind their bench with some form of Miami NC ring (football? He was like 50 in 99...coach?....but you could see the bling from across the floor).
After the loss my other friend who I brought, who was the only hardcore Duke fan on campus let me know how much better his team was than ours......last laugh and all that. Nothing was better then him curled up in a ball in his dark single as the campus exploded with celebration and fire!

Ugh, that game was anything but fun. I was so frustrated walking back to Towers after that one. The worst part was watching those Miami teams was Elton Tyler. I had played against him in high school and he tortured me then too...

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Last year against Syracuse in Gampel. When we came back from 17 down and Drummond caught the halfcourt alleyoop lay in, the place was obscenely loud.

Reaction Score
I hated the 6 overtime game.

The only loss I remember enjoying was the game where Caron almost beat Maryland single-handedly. We were the underdogs and fought back and almost got them.

This game was the first time and likely the last that i was happy after the loss. i just remember being so proud of that team and what caron did and being so hopeful for the future of the program even though we all knew he was leaving. mek and ben were freshmen on that team and you could tell they had bright futures.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Never have fun watching a loss. If it is a big game, and it ends in a loss, I usually feel physically pain.

Reaction Score
It's a toss up between the 6-OT game against Syracuse (still wondering why Coach Calhoun did not insert Mandeldove in the last OT after the bench was cleared of bigs) and the valiant losing effort against MSU in the 2009 FF. Maybe I'd go with MSU for 3 reasons:

1. Uconn lost that game only in the last 2 minutes minus a good guard named Dyson. With him in the mix, Uconn might have pulled it off.
2. I saw the great potential of Kemba. Although he played great against Missouri, he played badly in the MSU game, which means that had he played well (those 2 easy jump shots he missed in the last 7 or so minutes could have had a big impact on the last 2 minutes, therefore the game itself).
3. In that game, I also foresaw that Thabeet would not be star in the NBA. That game could have been his biggest bridge to fame. He did not deliver. Not that I enjoyed seeing him fail. Still happy that he made millions for himself. Go Thabeet!

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Never have fun watching a loss. If it is a big game, and it ends in a loss, I usually feel physically pain.

Exactly.

No offense, but this might be the stupidest thread I've ever seen started here.

Some of the games mentioned above were "classic" games, and some many were exciting, but when its all said and done, and Connecticut loses, its impossible for me, at least, to look back in retrospect and say, "Gee, that was a fun game to watch!! Go get em next time boys!!"

I can respect great effort in a loss, but never is it fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Probably the 6 OT game because it was so exciting for regulation and 5+ overtimes. Afterwards I was miserable though, it was so disappointing walking out of there. Now, looking back, grateful to be there, great effort, and ultimately Cuse didn't win anything meaningful and we went to the final four, so it doesn't hurt anymore. But that's not how I felt at the time.

Reaction Score
If I had to pick it would be the two tourney losses in 2002 and 03. I felt going into the games that we were playing with house money, so to speak, and we played so well in each that it was hard to be too upset. I think the 02 game was tougher because there were moments late in the game where you began to think "holy , we might actually pull this off", only to have it taken from us in the end. Still, it was a very satisfying run that year, particularly given where the team was in late December.

Reaction Score
The Ollie/Ray Allen team loss to UCLA in the regional finals was a wildly entertaining game.
This was mine as well. Up and Down the court, threes, just a thrill to watch. AND that was the only team that could've beaten us and they were only there due the Tyus Edney miracle.

Reaction Score
Probably the 6 OT game because it was so exciting for regulation and 5+ overtimes. Afterwards I was miserable though, it was so disappointing walking out of there. Now, looking back, grateful to be there, great effort, and ultimately Cuse didn't win anything meaningful and we went to the final four, so it doesn't hurt anymore. But that's not how I felt at the time.

This is what I will always remember about that game. My wife came in the second half and told me the pregnancy test was positive. I watched the rest of the game in a stupor, then drove to the pharmacy to buy more of those not really sure what was going on. My son would be born November 13th, 7 days before we beat Notre Dame in football. Those two sporting events will be forever be etched in my mind and I relate them my boy.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This is what I will always remember about that game. My wife came in the second half and told me the pregnancy test was positive. I watched the rest of the game in a stupor, then drove to the pharmacy to buy more of those not really sure what was going on. My son would be born November 13th, 7 days before we beat Notre Dame in football. Those two sporting events will be forever be etched in my mind and I relate them my boy.

That made me laugh. I wonder how many babies weren't conceived because of the 6 overtimes. Not tonight dear, I'm exhausted.

Reaction Score
Exactly.

No offense, but this might be the stupidest thread I've ever seen started here.

Some of the games mentioned above were "classic" games, and some many were exciting, but when its all said and done, and Connecticut loses, its impossible for me, at least, to look back in retrospect and say, "Gee, that was a fun game to watch!! Go get em next time boys!!"

I can respect great effort in a loss, but never is it fun to watch.

I completely agree. This thread is ridiculous. I'm shocked at the fond memories, or enjoyable time so many of you had during elite 8 losses. Unless its a blow out win its usually not a fun time watching. It's more extreme stress and anxiety. I have fun watching replays of us beating Arizona 2 years ago, but I wasn't doing back flips during the game.

Reaction Score
duck* G**rge M****.

A small anecdote:

Oh I how remember how I screamed at the television set so loud and picking the remote up throwing it at the wall, then going to McDonalds and spending 30 bucks on large french fries and coke...talk about a bad evening health wise...how I'm still here is a mystery. Later that week I ended up finding The Boneyard :). Oh how 2006 was a year of F bombs.

Reaction Score
Fun is just probably a bad choice of words. I think there are losses that eat at you, and there are losses where the game is enjoyable, the end is disappointing, but you feel satisfied with your team leaving it out there, you don't lose sleep over it, and memories of the game don't turn your stomach.

Duke '90 is a rare example of both at once.

Mostly they are postseason games people chose because other than Kansas '97, I can't think of a regular season game that would inspire a strong reaction one way or the other - you move on to the next one. Even a gut-puncher like the Darius Rice game.

There were also probably some near-upsets in the mid-80's when we sucked that might have been losses we were proud of (a narrow loss to Pinone's Villanova team in the BET springs to mind).

Reaction Score
If it wasn't for ducking Devendorf, it would probably be the 6OT game.

Reaction Score
Cohen has the idea but admittedly no loss is all that "enjoyable." The UCLA game was easier to take the next week knowing you played a real entertaining game with the best team in the country!

Reaction Score
The last loss of the 2008 season. I remember thinking "These guys are going to make a run at it next year"

Reaction Score
The last loss of the 2008 season. I remember thinking "These guys are going to make a run at it next year"

After we lost in the first round to a 13 seed with our star point guard and team leader suffering an ACL injury?

Whatever you were smoking, dude, I want some.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
After we lost in the first round to a 13 seed with our star point guard and team leader suffering an ACL injury?

Whatever you were smoking, dude, I want some.
Yes, the first time a Jim Calhoun UConn team lost in the first round of the NCAAs was a thrill a minute.

Reaction Score
Yes, the first time a Jim Calhoun UConn team lost in the first round of the NCAAs was a thrill a minute.

Not only that, but our 3rd NCAA Tournament in a row in which we lost to a team seeded at least 8 slots below us. We were starting to develop a reputation like Syracuse and (at the time) Kansas for Tournament choke-artistry. Fortunately, we rectified that in 2009 and in earnest in 2011.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
At no point during the George Mason game did I think we were really going to lose. Even after the game ended, I was asking myself whether it really happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom