Most fun you have had watching a UConn loss | The Boneyard

Most fun you have had watching a UConn loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I was thinking about the Marquette game earlier this year, and for all the handwringing about the non-foul, it was a great game to watch, the UConn team played its heart out, and I felt pretty good about the team afterward.

Can you remember other games like that?

One that comes to mind is UConn's 108-95 loss to Syracuse in 1994. I can't find the box score online, but I remember that Calhoun had the runs so Dickenman was the coach that night, and Fair got to come out of the dog house. He had a monster night, scoring over 30. John Wallace had over 40. It was one of the most fun games I have ever seen.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Ive had fun watching a lot of losses as they were happening. The second the game ended that enjoyment became anger, frustration, dejection, suicidal thoughts, homicidal thoughts and depression.

Reaction Score
That Kansas game with Rip at PG is the only one that comes to mind.

Damn, beat me to it. Can't remember a better game to watch that was an L.

Reaction Score
I was in attendance for the Pitt game in '09 at the Civic Center. When we took the lead the arena got as loud as any sporting event I've ever been to. In the end, Levance Fields hit two threes on back-to-back possessions and we ended up losing the game. So many fond memories of that '09 team....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I suppose that Elite 8 loss to UNC in 1998 was another.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think i agree here. By the end the game was so ridiculous i didnt even care anymore. We lost, and Cuse got to make their t-shirts, but we made a nice run to the final four, and Cuse flamed out early yet again, so all was right in the world.

This is the correct answer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Ollie/Ray Allen team loss to UCLA in the regional finals was a wildly entertaining game.

Yeah, but were you happy when it was over? It's one thing losing a battle against Jamison and Vince Carter. But beaten by a mouth-breather having the game of his life is a different kettle of fish.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
One that comes to mind is UConn's 108-95 loss to Syracuse in 1994. I can't find the box score online, but I remember that Calhoun had the runs so Dickenman was the coach that night, and Fair got to come out of the dog house. He had a monster night, scoring over 30. John Wallace had over 40. It was one of the most fun games I have ever seen.

Box score from the historical supplement...you were a little generous to Big John, but prety close for Fair, who threw up a 25 points ZERO REBOUNDS line!!!! :)

Ray only shot two threes...WHAT THE HELL?!?!!??!

Attachments

• UCHS.jpg
    UCHS.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 114

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yeah, but were you happy when it was over? It's one thing losing a battle against Jamison and Vince Carter. But beaten by a mouth-breather having the game of his life is a different kettle of fish.[/quote

I don't think I'm all that happy after a loss anytime, but that was like one of the old time NBA games where last team to 100 loses. All I remember was the path to the FF got harder for us when Tyus Edney made a damn hard buzzer beater the game before when UCLA escaped, I think it was, Mizzou.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I think i agree here. By the end the game was so ridiculous i didnt even care anymore. We lost, and Cuse got to make their t-shirts, but we made a nice run to the final four, and Cuse flamed out early yet again, so all was right in the world.

Agreed on the 6 ot game.

That game definitely toughened up our team for the tournament run.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
The '03 loss to Texas -- we were big underdogs playing in their home state and we came from way back in the second half to take a lead.
Can't say I enjoyed it (especially the stuck-in-the-rim finish), but I knew the next year no one would want to see us.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
UConn v Puke - watching Sellers' forearm accidently drive Chrissy's head into the floor. Entertainment value of that was off the scale.

Reaction Score
Least fun watching a win will always be Gonzaga. Just an awful 39:56 of basketball.

The asterisk with 6OT is that we led through the entire first 5OT and let them all get away. Then we caved in 6OT. Left a bad taste.

I'd say Maryland in 02. Only a couple years removed from a NC so there was less angst and we battled big time. The officials kinda spoiled that game, though. Too whistle happy - a lot like the Duke game in 04.

Reaction Score
That dook loss when Laetner hit that shot. Tate could have tip the ball to the other court but that's just bad luck. We were playing on house money (Clemson) and afterwards I knew our sails were set to a Championship one day. I also felt afterwards that we would avenge that dook loss, someday. It made me feel real good about our future with Calhoun and it created instant respect and of course a marketing coup. Everyone seemed to want to play for us. I may not have felt good but I surely didn't feel bad.

By the way Sellers head pounding really made me feel good, I think that had something to do with not feeling too bad.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Least fun watching a win will always be Gonzaga. Just an awful 39:56 of basketball.

No question. Given the stakes and past years' precedent, that was the most agonizing win imaginable.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
The only loss I remember enjoying was the game where Caron almost beat Maryland single-handedly. We were the underdogs and fought back and almost got them.
Agreed. I'm not going to say it wasn't a sad drive back from the Dome that night, but that team fought so hard. Also, while we didn't know this at the time, that game planted the seeds for the '04 NC. Okafor was crushed by that loss, which only enhanced his already stellar work ethic.

Reaction Score
In 99 we lost at home (GP) to Miami. The ending was raw as el-Amin didn't even get off a shot to tie and I left feeling empty (I think we only had one loss at the time and I had NC hopes on the brain) but the team was so exciting that year. I was in the front row by the visiting bench and my late friend and I were in a verbal battle with players 10-13 and some HUGE guy behind their bench with some form of Miami NC ring (football? He was like 50 in 99...coach?....but you could see the bling from across the floor).
After the loss my other friend who I brought, who was the only hardcore Duke fan on campus let me know how much better his team was than ours......last laugh and all that. Nothing was better then him curled up in a ball in his dark single as the campus exploded with celebration and fire!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Box score from the historical supplement...you were a little generous to Big John, but prety close for Fair, who threw up a 25 points ZERO REBOUNDS line!!!! :)

Ray only shot two threes...WHAT THE HELL?!?!!??!

Thanks for finding that. Fair only played 22 minutes. Zero rebounds is not surprising, and I suspect a lot of Moten's 31 came with Fair guarding him. It was still a great game by Fair.

I was way off on Wallace. I remember him having a much better game, but silly socks was the high scorer for Syracuse that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom