Most abusive coach ever? (merged thread) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Most abusive coach ever? (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
While it was 'brought to the attention' of the Pres, it is unclear exactly what that may entail. I agree it doesn't look good, especially given both the suspension and the monetary fine, but whether he saw the video or just had it reported to him that 'improper behavior' occurred leaves a lot of latitude.
When video excerpts of basketball practices were reviewed last fall by Athletic Director Tim Pernetti, he immediately notified me and sought the advice of internal and outside counsel. The university hired an independent investigator to look into this matter thoroughly. Based on the external investigator’s findings and recommendations, Tim and I agreed that Coach Rice should be suspended, penalized $75,000 in fines and lost salary, ordered to undergo anger management counseling, and put on notice that his behavior would be closely monitored. Tim Pernetti also made it clear to Coach Rice that there would be zero tolerance for additional infractions. Tim kept me fully apprised and I supported his actions.
Yesterday, I personally reviewed the video evidence, which shows a chronic and pervasive pattern of disturbing behavior. I have now reached the conclusion that Coach Rice cannot continue to serve effectively in a position that demands the highest levels of leadership, responsibility and public accountability. He cannot continue to coach at Rutgers University. Therefore, Tim Pernetti and I have jointly decided to terminate Mike Rice’s employment at Rutgers.” — Rutgers President Robert L. Barchi.
link

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think we can parse it further than saying that he no doubt thought it was ok to coach that way. As someone noted, it doesn't say anything about what he is like outside his profession (although I would suspect anger management issues are not isolate to one part of someone's life).

It is your last line that I find the best - it was certainly something to get fired over.

That is 3 of the last 4 RU Men's Head Basketball coaches fired for idiocy beyond reason. My wife admits being embarrased. In between was Gary Waters, who was unable to recruit or win to the expectations placed on him, but no other negatives. But "strip" free throws from Bannon; abusing a coach in another sport from another university (and showing up in disguise when told to keep away) - Fred Hill; and now a coach that abused his players. And you can't accuse the athletic department of trying to keep winners - none of them were successful.
I had forgotten or never knew about Hill's indescretion. Never thought much of him as a coach reagardless.

Reaction Score
I am just shocked that none of the players tried to take a swing at Mike Rice for throwing the ball at them or kicking them in the butt. Wow.

Reaction Score
So ESPN interviewed him after he got fired and I must admit, he shows genuine emotion for his actions. What he did was inexcusable, but we're all human. We make mistakes. And it's clear that he realizes his errors and hopefully this will be a wakeup call. I was actually happy to see that the interview wasn't some scripted, media relations press release. It was genuine and from the heart and I just hope he realizes his errors.

I agree that he showed genuine emotion and I felt some sympathy.

"It's clear that he realizes his errors."
I don't agree. Or, I'd say, we have no way of knowing whether he realizes his errors.
From a self-preservation standpoint, he realizes that he needs to be contrite. Whether he really understands why that is ... we can't know.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
I agree that he showed genuine emotion and I felt some sympathy.

"It's clear that he realizes his errors."
I don't agree. Or, I'd say, we have no way of knowing whether he realizes his errors.
From a self-preservation standpoint, he realizes that he needs to be contrite. Whether he really understands why that is ... we can't know.

True, we can't know whether he realizes his errors. I was just going off of what I saw in the video. In my opinion, either he's a really good actor or he knows something has got to change. I hope it's the latter, for his sake.

Reaction Score
Rice has an old coaching style. There plenty of coaches who were abusive in practice. I had one in HS and another in college. Rice's style really wasn't all that rare back in the day but today most coaches figured out that the style really doesn't work. Apparently Rice didn't figure it out and it was the right thing to fire him. That said, he should have been fired when the AD decided to suspend him and to do it after he served the suspension is gutless.
On a personal level, I'd rather have a ball thrown at me in practice rather than get a quick hook in front of a national TV audience.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
More fallout:

Tim Pernetti is out as Rutgers' AD
Rutgers' General Counsel has resigned

Excellent needed to happen but further increases the likelihood that RU will not not to disrupt things further by letting CViv go.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Rice has an old coaching style. There plenty of coaches who were abusive in practice. I had one in HS and another in college. Rice's style really wasn't all that rare back in the day but today most coaches figured out that the style really doesn't work. Apparently Rice didn't figure it out and it was the right thing to fire him. That said, he should have been fired when the AD decided to suspend him and to do it after he served the suspension is gutless.
On a personal level, I'd rather have a ball thrown at me in practice rather than get a quick hook in front of a national TV audience.
Yeah, I know what you mean about the old-style abusive coaches and the attitude that you mold tough and well-prepped players by going over the top in practice. But on that last point, getting a ball thrown at your head in practice is just humiliating and not really anything that's going to make you stronger, while a quick hook in a game can at least make you focus on what you're doing wrong and remind you to try never to do it again. I agree with the coaches who just punish players with wind sprints or push-ups, which though embarrassing can sharpen the concentration and make a player proud that he did his time for his mistakes.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Excellent needed to happen but further increases the likelihood that RU will not not to disrupt things further by letting CViv go.

You don't think they would have a "let's just get this over with and clean the whole house" attitude?

I'm just thinking out loud here...

she was highest paid coach
got the least amount of results
had good recruiting classes but lots of transfers...
And there has been a lot of grumbling about all of this over the last few months.

just throwing it out there into the ether although I think people are going to come back and say no likely they will let her be

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You don't think they would have a "let's just get this over with and clean the whole house" attitude?

I'm just thinking out loud here...

she was highest paid coach
got the least amount of results
had good recruiting classes but lots of transfers...
And there has been a lot of grumbling about all of this over the last few months.

just throwing it out there into the ether although I think people are going to come back and say no likely they will let her be

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

I suspect they will not want to do that heading into the Big Ten because they feel they will need to be bringing soemthing with them and too many changes at once would be hard to manage.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I suspect they will not want to do that heading into the Big Ten because they feel they will need to be bringing soemthing with them and too many changes at once would be hard to manage.

Makes sense

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
More fallout:

Tim Pernetti is out as Rutgers' AD
Rutgers' General Counsel has resigned
ScarletNation board is a fascinating read today, with opinions all over the place. At least the thread calling for everyone to riot if Pernetti was canned has been removed. Up to 5 players are thought to be likely to transfer. It's not up at the PSU level, though abuse was involved, but the loss of institutional control theme to protect the university's image is right out front. And lots of students have a hate on the faculty for using the scandal to push for the removal of Prez Barchi.

Anyone else think that as the sports money for schools gets bigger, these "loss of institutional controls" stories are going to start becoming a once a week affair and that eventually we'll just become jaded.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
If there were such a gadget called a "Most Pissed Off Meter" to measure anger, disgust, ire, etc., there would be an intense competition among Rutgers alumni, Governor Christie, and the Big Ten.

Sports fans in New Jersey and Metro NYC would not be far behind, and then the general population. Way down at the bottom are all manner of media, all in a celebratory mood, especially the likes of those employed to talk about sports on radio (e.g., Mike Francessa), TV (ESPN, Fox Sports, etc.), or write about sports (Mike Lupica et al). They will slobber all over themselves ranting about a scandal like this.

There has to be one very big "What If" about this mess: What if the member schools of the Big Ten change their mind about Rutgers?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There are two ways to access that New York market, Kib, and we all know the other one.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
On the one hand, what Rutgers didn't do was absolutely nothing. Suspension and slap on the hand were not enough, but it was something. And, although not perhaps emphasized, I read on the RU women's board at the time that he had tossed a ball at a player's head. I don't think there will be any NCAA penalties (or Bi1G either). That said, I think RU's position is weakened across the board.

I am completely tired of comments about RU WBB getting the least amount of results. Um, disappointing against expectations of late, but most would argue that even football hasn't out-performed WBB yet. Because the expectations for football have also risen a bit unrealistically.

Yuck, Yuck, Yuck - very disappointed in them all. Not Barchi, who just listened to the other folks. Unlike many school presidents, I don't think Barchi is interested in messing with athletics. He was hired to get RU its medical school back, which he did, and administer the process.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Why didn't Barchi review the tape back when he first heard about it and when it served as the basis for Rice's fine and suspension? It's being reported that 3 or 4 members of the Bd of Governors watched it, but not Barchi. Very strange. This has to be among the first questions asked at his news conference.

Reaction Score
If the BiG didn't kick out Penn State, they aren't going to kick out RU. I don't know how this will impact CVS, but I agree with Icebear that they will probably not want further upheaval. On the other hand, so much of what they have done in the past few years has been driven by the mandate to do everything as cheaply as possible, which has led to questionable hires and poor decisions. Maybe they have learned their lesson. Maybe not. Only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom