Moriah!! | The Boneyard

Moriah!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On a team as great as this one, and as extraordinarily well-balanced as this one, singling out one player as the MVP is almost impossible. Having said that, if I were forced to choose, Mo would get my vote. If we agree, as is obvious, that our favorite team boasts the very best coach in the game, then the player who can best translate that coach's philosophy into reality on the floor should be MVP. Little Mo dictates the very pace at which the game is played, and one cannot make that claim about many players. For my money, she may, right now, be the best player, and certainly the best point guard in the country. The ignorance of sportswriters and commentators who choose All-American teams will be exposed when the final verdict comes out, and Mo will be left off of many first AA teams....but we know!!!

HGN

Reaction Score
I think the MVP for this team can almost change from game to game........But in many of those games the smallest player on the floor is the Biggest reason UConn keeps rolling. And last night was no exception.
Her timely 3-pointers kept the defense from collapsing in on Morgan , Stewie , and KML. And her defense again was steller . I hesitate to think of the negative impact it would have on the team if it didn't have Moriah.

Moriah has made herself into a threat from the perimeter. No longer can teams back off and let her shoot. Which gives UConn another scorer on the floor. When Moriah struggles the entire team struggles which tells you how valuable she is. When she is whishing and dishing UConn is almost unbeatable.

I have seen a lot of basketball games and a lot of point guards this season. and i have not seen one better than Moriah Jefferson.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
LaPhonso Ellis, former NBA player and current ESPN broadcaster, was duly impressed. ( Despite being a ND graduate.) I believe he started last night's broadcast by describing UConn as a team that starts FIVE All Americans. He also described UConn as being much more impressive live than watching on video.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I know we got lots of complaints about the announcers on another thread, but I found them refreshing and interesting. I do not remember any drivel or 'human interest stuff' not connected to the game and the action on the court. They kept talking about the action as it unfolded, and especially Ellis was free with his praise and obviously impressed by the Uconn game. Liked that he started talking about KML's shooting in terms of great NBA players who when they had an open three you just headed the other way because you knew it was swishing. And commenting on how smart Moriah was in recognizing the blow-by possibility in transition.

And Yes - I think Moriah is probably the MVP on the team - they do not keep plus/minus stats for college players but I would not be surprised if she lead the team in that regard. When she sits, the offense can get a little ragged even with what I consider two pretty good guards in Kia and Chong running things.
And the second place is probably Morgan. And that takes nothing away from Stewart or KML who are maybe the best two players on the team skill wise.

Reaction Score
When Stewart went out, no problem. If Moriah is out for the same amount of time... problem. I think she was really good last year, but she's much better this year and last night she was outstanding. To me she appears to be playing with the most confidence of anyone on the team.

Reaction Score
Mo has reached the plateau where she dictates the pace and tempo of the game. Floor general is an overused phrase and it now describes her perfectly.

Reaction Score
I get the point, but don't forget much of what Mo does and Tuck and KML, etc. is because the other team is generally dedicating at least two bodies mugging Breanna.

Reaction Score
MoJeff always amazes me, with speed and using that speed under control..... great in transition..... and the 3 point threat is a new thing this year

and of course, i think she is adorable..... want to hug her and pinch her cheek.!!!! Go MoJeff Don't stop until the job is done!!!!

Reaction Score
She plays the beautiful game, she plays it right, and it's a joy to watch. She plays basketball right, always mentally at top speed, and physically when its useful.She goes back and forth along a defense, finding its every crease and angle and opening, like a honeybee surveying a field of clover On defense she's relentless, always looking for the takeaway, the move to break down the offense, to disrupt the whole offensive scheme. I've watched a lot of basketball in my life, I don't think I've ever seen anyone perfect the PG skills going both ways so young and to the degree that MoJett has.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She plays the beautiful game, she plays it right, and it's a joy to watch. She plays basketball right, always mentally at top speed, and physically when its useful.She goes back and forth along a defense, finding its every crease and angle and opening, like a honeybee surveying a field of clover On defense she's relentless, always looking for the takeaway, the move to break down the offense, to disrupt the whole offensive scheme. I've watched a lot of basketball in my life, I don't think I've ever seen anyone perfect the PG skills going both ways so young and to the degree that MoJett has.
One of the things that is amazing to me is her anticipation of her players next move so that she is often already standing where the player had planned to go when the player gets there or has gone past the ball screen before the player can get past it themselves.
I know Sue is THE point guard for Uconn, followed by Jen and a few others, and we have had some great point guards, but ... As a college player if she continues unhurt through her senior campaign, she will end with statistics that place her in that conversation as best ever PG. She will be top three in assists and best ever in A/TO ratio by a wide margin, top three in steals, up there in rebounds for a PG, with 1500 points shooting a higher percentage than any other PG and possibly than any other guard. Her 3 point percentage will trail KML and Sue and perhaps no one else (on a much smaller sample size than those two, but still ...) And she may have more NCs than any of the other guards which is more a team accomplishment, but as QB for the team ...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Didn't see this anywhere. Stole it from Freedom board. 1003 by my count.

CA4POy3VAAAafrc.jpg:large

Reaction Score
I think that the biggest change in her game has been her ability to harness her speed. The burst is there when she needs/wants to use it. She's not playing every minute "100 miles an hour with her hair on fire" like she did her freshman year, and to a lesser extent last year. Just a joy to watch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom