Moriah Chasing Diana - Needs More Help From Stewie | The Boneyard

Moriah Chasing Diana - Needs More Help From Stewie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
STORRS — One of the reasons the Huskies are so difficult to beat this time of season is because coach Geno Auriemma recruits ultra-competitive athletes, and then pushes them to new limits they never believed they could reach. He also recruits intelligent, well-rounded kids who know how to keep everything in perspective.

Moriah Jefferson is within reach right now of breaking the Huskies' all-time assist record. She went into Monday night's game with 627, just 21 shy of Diana Taurasi's record, meaning that if she matched her season average of 5.4 per game and the Huskies advanced to the national championship game, she should finish first with a couple to spare.

So when her lob pass to Breanna Stewart was misplayed on a 2-on-1 break during Saturday's first-round game, her competitive side showed playfully. She gave Stewart a dirty look for not being better prepared to catch the ball, and in the process turning a potential assist into a turnover.

"She just messed up the entire thing," Jefferson said sarcastically. "And, look, that was my only turnover. I blame her for everything. It was the perfect opportunity, and I don't know what she was thinking. She goes, 'I didn't know it was coming.' What? 'What do you mean you didn't know it was coming? You're in the game, and you're supposed to pay attention.' I was pretty mad."

Stewart took the blame after the game, admitting she should have caught the pass but still gave Jefferson a hard time.

"I'm trying to tell her that assists are important to me," Jefferson said. "And she's like, 'Oh, I had eight steals, so there.' I was like, 'I don't care how many steals you had. You're messing my assists to turnover (ratio).' I don't think she wants me to get it."

Morgan Tuck, who was trailing on the lob play, jokingly provided the solution for Jefferson. "We talked about this on the bench," Tuck said, "and we came to the conclusion that Mo should have thrown the lob to me instead of Stewie. That would have fixed the problem. Then I could have dunked it."

MUCH MORE...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The article references Saturday's game. Moriah is definitely the one in charge. After the turnover, Moriah told Stewie, "Go up and get it." Our little point guard pushes the best player in the country.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I figure there was the same conversation after Breanna fumbled away a perfect pass on the break last night - the last play that she, Moriah, and Tuck were involved in - at least last night the TO was given to Stewart, so Moriah kept her clean sheet.
And she showed that she had figured that stuff out - passing more to Morgan for assists than Stewart and finding Kia on breaks! :eek::rolleyes::cool:

Reaction Score
I
The article references Saturday's game. Moriah is definitely the one in charge. After the turnover, Moriah told Stewie, "Go up and get it." Our little point guard pushes the best player in the country.

At that time, I was thinking Mo was more upset Stewie passed up a perfect dunk opportunity. Thus her comment about "Go up and get it".

I remember she even gestures up with a finger.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I

At that time, I was thinking Mo was more upset Stewie passed up a perfect dunk opportunity. Thus her comment about "Go up and get it".

I remember she even gestures up with a finger.
Mo really wants her to dunk in a game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yesterday Stewie failed to handle a reasonable if imperfect pass on the break. Stewie is really messing with Mo's game.

Reaction Score
One of the plays that I was hoping to see, for the last two years, was the Notre Dame style Jewely-opp pass, in our case from Mo to Stewie. I thought that could have been a spectacular spectacular! And we could have seen that eye-popper over and over with those two. Now, unless they have been saving it for the final fourth final four :), we ain't never gonna see it.

The reason I bring this up here is that I haven't seen any mention, today or yesterday, of Mo being in the air and on the receiving end of the alley-opp pass and laying it in for 2 during the Duquesene game. I thought it looked spectacular! And the grin on her face heading up the floor ...it was priceless. I'm not even sure who made the pass, but they had a good time with it. Sure am going to miss that little engine that could. :(

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One of the plays that I was hoping to see, for the last two years, was the Notre Dame style Jewely-opp pass, in our case from Mo to Stewie. I thought that could have been a spectacular spectacular! And we could have seen that eye-popper over and over with those two. Now, unless they have been saving it for the final fourth final four :), we ain't never gonna see it.

The reason I bring this up here is that I haven't seen any mention, today or yesterday, of Mo being in the air and on the receiving end of the alley-opp pass and laying it in for 2 during the Duquesene game. I thought it looked spectacular! And the grin on her face heading up the floor ...it was priceless. I'm not even sure who made the pass, but they had a good time with it. Sure am going to miss that little engine that could. :(
Morgan made the pass - and yup! It was spectacular. I would really be curious to see has the most vertical jump between Moriah and Gabby - Gabby has the height, but Moriah gets awfully high off the ground.

Reaction Score

Morgan made the pass - and yup! It was spectacular. I would really be curious to see has the most vertical jump between Moriah and Gabby - Gabby has the height, but Moriah gets awfully high off the ground.
So ...the truth comes out ...Moriah could have dunked that alley-oop. Here it is:

Alley-oop: Auriemma said the team has a lot of alley-oop or lob plays in its playbook to get Stewart offensive opportunities that few, if any, players in the country could match or stop. On Monday, however, Tuck tossed a lob pass at the basket for 5-foot-7 guard Moriah Jefferson to go up and get.

"We were running a normal elbow play and Tuck just threw it up," Jefferson said. "I was like, 'This is my one opportunity so I better go for it. If I miss it, oh well.' I made it and was really happy. If I had gotten up that much more, I would have thrown it down (dunked it). But I'll save that for Stewie."

That is a quote from an article titled: No Word Yet From Tuck On Playing Next Season.

This article has a whole bunch of great quotes. It's an interesting read.

Here's the [LINK]

Oh... and speaking of No Word Yet From Tuck On Playing Next Season, Does anyone know anyone who works in UConn's buisness school or graduate admissions office that has access to next year's applicant list? :D ;)

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am nearly 100% certain that Morgan will be playing next season. The questionable part will be where? ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I am nearly 100% certain that Morgan will be playing next season. The questionable part will be where? ;)

Way to go Milford. You went way out there on that limb for that one. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle