Morgan Cheli is a Husky! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Morgan Cheli is a Husky!

Reaction Score
One way to interest bigs in UConn is to recruit the kids who'll play next to them. Also, Morgan is tall. I'd almost compare her to Emily Kiser, but for the fact that she has pg-level handles, a quick first step, a dazzling finish at the rim, and can hit the 3.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Extensive piece on Cheli.

In mid-December, after just six regular season games, she suffered a foot sprain. The injury forced her to sit out for about eight weeks.

She had no other option but to attack rehab. She found a center 30 minutes away (without traffic) from the family’s home in Los Altos — a Northern California community located between San Francisco and San Jose, at the edge of Silicon Valley — that provided both treatment and workouts designed to help maintain her strength.

Morgan was cleared to return to basketball activities in mid-February. All her work in rehab paid off. Not only was she healed but she returned with a new level to her game. Her upper body was stronger. Her passes on the court were faster and more in control. Even her footwork was quicker.

Reaction Score
Daniel Connolly on the Chasing Perfection podcast said Morgan Cheli committed to UConn the weekend of the South Carolina game and only told her HS coaches and the UConn coaches, keeping it a secret for 2 months. I’m assuming this is the other recruit Geno was talking about before she announced it

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Daniel Connolly on the Chasing Perfection podcast said Morgan Cheli committed to UConn the weekend of the South Carolina game and only told her HS coaches and the UConn coaches, keeping it a secret for 2 months. I’m assuming this is the other recruit Geno was talking about before she announced it

I'd read this thread before coming to that conclusion.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Well, if there is someone else out there that he was referring to, I hope we don't have to wait until November during the early signing period.

Reaction Score

See Why 2024-25 recruit Morgan Cheli Perfect is the Perfect fit for UConn - A Deep Dive​

A great video and commentary. I particularly enjoyed the comment by
one of Morgan's coaches; " She makes the right decision by shooting
85 % of the time, and for the other 15 % of the time she SHOULD
have shot."!! (Something to that effect). Good Highlights in this
almost 9-minute tape. Enjoy!

Reaction Score
I couldn't be higher on Morgan Cheli than I already am. I was watching UConn games from the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons. The core of the team for those two years was Gabby, Kia, Katie Lou, Napheesa and Crystal. But this is also the team I think Geno has in mind when he downplays the importance of a defined pg. Anyone could (and did) bring the ball up, run the break, get the assist, etc. Morgan looks like she's cut from that same mold -- a big girl with excellent handles and good foot speed. Watch Napheesa bring the ball up the court in those days and you might as well be looking at Morgan. She snaps off passes with speed and crispness just like that team did.

One thing I've noticed, scouring the web for videos, is that there's a noticeable a difference between her sophomore year and the second half of her junior year. I mean, she was already great at the end of her sophomore year, but after her ankle injury she just seems to have taken it up a notch or two. The video above compares her to Katie Lou and I can see why. She's not yet as strong as Napheesa, but aspects of her game feel more like Napheesa's than Katie Lou's. Geno could play her at the 4 or the 3 -- that would suit her size and strength -- but with her handles, perimeter shooting and passing skills she could just as well play the 1 or the 2.

A couple years from now, KK, Inês, Kelis will be competing for the 1/2, and Ashlynn and Morgan will compete for the 2/3 slots, and Q, Morgan, and Ayanna will compete for the 3/4, and Ice and Jana will hold down the 4/5. We may well think of this as Morgan's team at that point. Will Sarah Strong, Kate Koval and/or Olivia Vukosa have joined her? I have a feeling...

Reaction Score
You're forgetting our sharpshooter from Neenah, Wi.
How could I forget Allie!!!!??? We will be the epitome of the big guard team with Allie and Morgan, and the small guard team with KK Inês and Kelis — and then add our ballhawk Ashlynn to the mix and anything is possible.

And to the concern that Geno is recruiting too many small guards I think 1) it’s a year by year layering effect and 2) I think Storrs is starting to look really attractive to bigger kids now.

Reaction Score
I am liking this young lady even more! The ability to keep information like this under the radar for two months, very impressive. I just love her style of play.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I may be getting the years wrong, but keep in mind that while she had a good freshman year, she was not a starter as the team had something like 5 or 6 seniors. So she played well her sophomore year, then was injured her junior year. She's come back apparently stronger than ever, but it's not that surprising her ranking was on the lower side given her injury her junior year.

I think she might have come back the end of her junior year and led her team thru the state championships, but it's a testament to how good she is that she's ranked as highly as she is. I suspect that with a summer of AAU hoops play, and her senior year coming up, she will rise in the rankings. I would not be surprised to see her vault into the top 10.

Reaction Score
Morgan Cheli and Allie Ziebell are definitely the next generation of Page and Azzi, but bigger and hopefully, less injury prone.
i hear you, but i wonder if all of these players will be injury prone due to the excessive amounts they are playing one sport year round during their formative years

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom