More or less confident this year or in 2009/2010? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

More or less confident this year or in 2009/2010?

How confident are you?

• More confident in this team

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • About the same amount of confidence

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • Less confidence in this team

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And without Kelly. I asked for her return for Christmas, but I don't see her anywhere, Do you?
You confused them with the words"return." It isn't a good word to use around Christmas, they thought you wanted to send her back starting tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Your way off with the Germans @ Pearl Harbor,They were too busy in Europe

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not worried this year. Yea, something could happen, injuries (more) or just 1 really off game, but it would actually quite surprise me if we didn't go undefeated this year. Just have a good feeling about this team.

UCONN certainly has the talent. And I think they have the fortitude, the maturity, desire, drive, leadership to actually pull it off. They've been in tough games, they know they can persevere.

Just a good feeling about this team this year.

Reaction Score
More- slughtly - unless injuries come about. I was always concerned of Appel though I thought we'd win. I have some concern over ND this year but until I see them in ACC, it's a slight concern. So that could change. I do believe this team has the potential to be the greatest wcbb team ever assembled. These are still - kids however. But this team has balance and a bench that can continue balance throughout the game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I would think the 2009-2010 team is more talented. You have 2 WNBA #1 draft choices who became
rookie of the year, and MVP of the league (Maya should have won last year, but for sure will win one),
and 2 other solid WNBA starters in the starting lineup. That's pretty tough to beat! As talented as this
year team may be, I am not sure they will have that sort of WNBA credentials.
True, but on this team we currently have 4 AA's already - Bria, Stef, Kaleena and Breanna. I believe all of those will be huge in the WNBA. This year MoJeff should be an AA. Tuck's time will come. And I think the reserves of Kiah, Ms. Banks, and Saniya are stronger than Kaili, Meghan Gardler, Lorin Dixon and Heather Buck. But you can't go wrong with either team - both are/were great!

Reaction Score
Actually Morgan probably would have started on the 2010 team, on this team she is the 6th man, then you have Kiah ,Banks, Chong. Stewie, KML should both be the 1st pick coming out their senior year, Stef , and possibly Bria will be 1st round, Moriah, and Morgan will probably be 1st round picks. Its a good possibility those 6 will all be All-Americans before they leave, 3 already have.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I can't remember a single 10 second call this season.

I can. There have been far fewer than I expected, I thought there would be some just from lapsing into old habits. I've seen a few against other teams, one against UConn.

Reaction Score
I have less confidence in this team, solely because I think Notre Dame is looming large at the end of this season, and I'm not sure this team has really gotten over their "fear" of ND. By fear, I mean that they have not beaten Notre Dame in a close game in years (close meaning fewer that 5 points) and ND has the confidence to beat UConn.

In 2009/2010, I had a lot of confidence in that team; 5 seniors, solid bench, and the 2 best players in the country. I still have a ton of confidence in this team (I do believe that they can and probably will go 40-0 and win their second straight NC on the way to a couple more in the next few years), but I'm a little less confident in this team. They are still a young team with a "monkey on their back" in the form of Notre Dame. Now, we haven't really seen Notre Dame play a great opponent yet this year and this UConn team has not even reached their full potential, but that is my biggest concern.

Now, in 4 months I will probably be proven very wrong, but I'm not quite as confident in this team. My biggest fear is a matchup against Notre Dame in the Final Four that goes down to the final minute. This team has not proven (yet) that they can win a close game in the final minute in the past few years. Luckily, there is so much firepower on this team, that they've just been blowing people out and not worrying about having to hit the game winner in the final minute (and this was especially true at last years FF).

I think this team finally has the confidence and experience to just blow everyone out of the water, but I will be sitting here nervously during the tournament until someone knocks off Notre Dame. Hopefully it will be us on our way to our 9th National Championship!

Just my thoughts and ramblings. I think this team has the potential to be the best ever to play at UConn, but I think that final hurdle will be what really shows how great this team is.

Who knows, we may never see Notre Dame this year, but I think thats the one team that could really derail this team, if given the right circumstances. Thats why I am not quite as confident in this team as I was with the 2009/2010 team.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I feel the same way about ND, they still scare me a little, but I think a lot of that confidence came from Diggens. Plus, Stewie is such a better player than she was the first three times we played them...when she played to her potential, we beat them by 20.

Reaction Score
Stewie personally exorcised the Notre Dame demon, after the loss in the Big East final. Losing that game was what woke Stewie up, and as she showed in the FF semi-final win, their will be no more close games with Notre Dame. Between taking a charge against Skylar, stealing the ball at half court, and beating Skylar with a layup at the other end, to a resounding statement block in the Second half, Stewie was politely saying I've had enough. All the Notre Dame players are going to remember that game, and if they play UConn every time they are on offense they are going to wonder where Stewie is.

Reaction Score
We are being treated to something athletically beautiful and rare.

Here's how I feel about it: We'll be okay.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Worried then, worried now.

Did anyone think the Patriots could lose to the Giants?

How many thought Alabama would lose a game this year?

Stuff happens.

great post :)
yet when my old college roommate (he is old & we were roommtes a long time ago) & I met this past summer with our wives I predicted a clean sweep this year. I still am a beliver but as previously stated. . .

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think ND has rattled us, the fans, more than the team. I think Stewie, KML, Bria would relish another go at them.
Bria is right again, Stewie is a force now, Mo Jeff too. Chong has no bad memories. And they lost their big star. The closest thing about the two teams is the coaching but we have the edge there too.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We have 5 first round picks starting right now.

Wild guesses, but Stef should be top 5 and Bria top 10. Kaleena is a top 5. Stewie is a top 1. Moriah will be top 5-8, maybe even 2.

Reaction Score
True, but on this team we currently have 4 AA's already - Bria, Stef, Kaleena and Breanna. I believe all of those will be huge in the WNBA. This year MoJeff should be an AA. Tuck's time will come. And I think the reserves of Kiah, Ms. Banks, and Saniya are stronger than Kaili, Meghan Gardler, Lorin Dixon and Heather Buck. But you can't go wrong with either team - both are/were great!

I don't know how huge Bria will be but I can remmeber Tara V as a brilliant tactician beat us pretty good the year before in final four. Tina gotten beaten pretty good by Appel that year and Appel leading into the -09 game as a jr was on a sensational roll. She was at the time regarded to be better than Tina. The Prior big game in NCAA history vs Stanford we got whipped 3 years earlier when among other things their top frosh outplayed / outclassed Charde. Now there is Appel that was number 2 recruit looking superior to Tina who was number 1. Their top players were outmatching ours. And from what I remember, at the time, Tara V was extremely confident she was going to win in -09. When you look at what Stanford/Tara V did to us the past two NCAA's - win decisevely - and they shouldn't have in that 2009 game- I was concerned.

On the flip side., the game last year in Notre Dame had a lot to do with incompetent refs down the stretch. I believe there were three bad calls down the stretch - one I can remember the moving pick on Dolson. Others can disagree on the refs, imo they are wrong. And I believe in game 1 - we shot to win and it was a good look. That's a lot different than being beaten decisively like we were vs. Stanford leading up to 2009.

If we're healthy, I'm reminded the comment once Dick Vitale had said when he ws doing a Game Day UCONN vs ND. He said something like "Notre Dame is less than UCONN at every position/matchup." In this case - leading up to a potential UCONN vs Notre Dame game in which we play only once, imo they are down at every position except McBride at the sg. Even then Bria is right there. Plus I believe a very important aspect of this UCONN team is their bench. Some prior great UCONN teams didn't need much of a bench. I think this team does. So if someone like Stokes or Tuck gets hurt - to me the "concern monitor" jumps up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If uconn wins convincingly against Louisville and Baylor, that would be five top 10 teams smoked by 15+ (Duke, Stanford, and Maryland being the other three teams ). By that point , I'd be as sure as I was in 2009-10 after the Stanford win.

Notre Dame, because of the history of the rivalry, will always be lingering. Facing the LVs in Nashville and uconn- Louisville part IV in the national semis are other doomsday scenarios.
It's funny how the last three years have changed the perception of Notre Dame. Prior to that, everyone knew that Notre Dame was good but "not in UConn's class", as we dominated them. Then came that string where they won something like seven of eight games and now they are categorized as somewhat on a par with our program. The exception was when UConn lost a couple of All-Americans at the end of the season and UConn fell apart in the semi-final game against Notre Dame, blowing something like a 15 point halftime lead. That was the game with Diana Taurasi shooting one of 15, that helped bury the Huskies. I'm hopeful that we have the opportunity to play Notre Dame and beat them handily, putting back into that somewhat secondary position that they'd been in over the years, before their brief success against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom