More or less confident this year or in 2009/2010? | The Boneyard

More or less confident this year or in 2009/2010?

How confident are you?

• More confident in this team

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • About the same amount of confidence

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • Less confidence in this team

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Random question for you Huskie fans out there. Are you more or less confident that UCONN will run the table and win another undefeated National Championship this season or were you more confident in UCONN in 2009 and in 2010?

At this point in the season, it seems pretty evident to me/most people that UCONN is simply functioning on a different level than everyone else in WCBB. UCONN has throttled everyone so far, to be honest I'll be surprised if there is will be a game this year that will be won by less than 15 points. At this point, do you feel more or less confident that UCONN is going to run the table compared to how you felt in the middle of the 2008-09 season and 2009-10 season?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Honestly I'm just curious what the feeling is amongst UCONN fans. Looking back on 2009 I didn't think anyone had a chance against UCONN, in 2010 I anticipated that there'd be a few teams that would have a chance (the only one that gave UCONN a challenge was a loaded Stanford team), but early in this season I don't see anybody coming close to UCONN. The only team I can see having a chance is Notre Dame, but we haven't seen Notre Dame play any stiff competition yet. I also think there is a lot of parity this year in WCBB for all teams other than UCONN, where in 2010 UCONN dominated everyone, and Stanford dominated everyone besides Connecticut.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Honestly I'm just curious what the feeling is amongst UCONN fans. Looking back on 2009 I didn't think anyone had a chance against UCONN, in 2010 I anticipated that there'd be a few teams that would have a chance (the only one that gave UCONN a challenge was a loaded Stanford team), but early in this season I don't see anybody coming close to UCONN. The only team I can see having a chance is Notre Dame, but we haven't seen Notre Dame play any stiff competition yet. I also think there is a lot of parity this year in WCBB for all teams other than UCONN, where in 2010 UCONN dominated everyone, and Stanford dominated everyone besides Connecticut.
Uh....I was kidding.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If uconn wins convincingly against Louisville and Baylor, that would be five top 10 teams smoked by 15+ (Duke, Stanford, and Maryland being the other three teams ). By that point , I'd be as sure as I was in 2009-10 after the Stanford win.

Notre Dame, because of the history of the rivalry, will always be lingering. Facing the LVs in Nashville and uconn- Louisville part IV in the national semis are other doomsday scenarios.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good question. I said "same amount of confidence". Let's see - that was the season we had Tina, Kalana, Maya, Tiff and Caroline? Then we had Kaili, Meghan, Lorin, and freshman Kelly Faris?

Tina, etc were seniors and Maya was a junior. Honestly, I don't think that team is as talented as the one we currently have, but you can't put a premium on how good Srs. Tina and Kalana were, and junior Maya. We scored 12 points in the first half of the NC game against Stanford, and 41 in the 2nd half. But they only won that game by 6 points. I probably should be more confident in this team, since I think that when fully healthy, no one comes within 20, but one never knows.

Reaction Score
About the same. In favor of 08/09 they were so good defensively and a great defensive team is less susceptible to lapses. On the other hand, in 2010 Stanford was a beast, significantly better than any of this year's opponents. Overall though about the same. It'll be tough though to win every game by 15 or more. Possible but I wouldn't put a lot of money on it.

Reaction Score
Have you looked at the shooting percentages for other teams 2 point .320, 3 point .242, and that's with 5 ranked teams? You also were missing 2 of your top 6 players for a number of those games. This might end up being the best defensive team UConn, or anyone else has ever had.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Worried then, worried now.

Did anyone think the Patriots could lose to the Giants?

How many thought Alabama would lose a game this year?

Stuff happens.

Reaction Score
Have you looked at the shooting percentages for other teams 2 point .320, 3 point .242, and that's with 5 ranked teams? You also were missing 2 of your top 6 players for a number of those games. This might end up being the best defensive team UConn, or anyone else has ever had.
Curious what others think. I haven't seen as much of the games this yr as I'd like but I'm having trouble seeing this team being as suffocating as the 2010 team. Anyone else want to chime in?

Reaction Score
Good question. I said "same amount of confidence". Let's see - that was the season we had Tina, Kalana, Maya, Tiff and Caroline? Then we had Kaili, Meghan, Lorin, and freshman Kelly Faris?

Tina, etc were seniors and Maya was a junior. Honestly, I don't think that team is as talented as the one we currently have

I would think the 2009-2010 team is more talented. You have 2 WNBA #1 draft choices who became
rookie of the year, and MVP of the league (Maya should have won last year, but for sure will win one),
and 2 other solid WNBA starters in the starting lineup. That's pretty tough to beat! As talented as this
year team may be, I am not sure they will have that sort of WNBA credentials.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I would think the 2009-2010 team is more talented. You have 2 WNBA #1 draft choices who became
rookie of the year, and MVP of the league (Maya should have won last year, but for sure will win one),
and 2 other solid WNBA starters in the starting lineup. That's pretty tough to beat! As talented as this
year team may be, I am not sure they will have that sort of WNBA credentials.

You may have to wait until next year to get that team

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Curious what others think. I haven't seen as much of the games this yr as I'd like but I'm having trouble seeing this team being as suffocating as the 2010 team. Anyone else want to chime in?

I expect way more steals and blocked shots this year.
Is that what you define as being "suffocating?"

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This group may have 4+ AAs (in time); the 2009 team had 3, but they were all top 5 or so players in 2009. The 2010 team had the 2 best players in WCBB. That's a true rarity.

I think this group is not yet fully tested. Is Stewie or Kaleena at Maya's level? I can answer this better in hindsight. As of now, only ND concerns me. If Stewie continues to dominate, this team is scary good. We have 3 other players who have been AAs already. And Stewie is not one of them. Most of our 1-9 players would start on almost any team. This team is balanced and deep 1-9.

Reaction Score
The only real vulnerability with this team is the possibility of more injuries. They came through the first couple just fine, but put a depleted team up against a hot opponent -- Baylor, say -- and things could get dicey.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Worried then, worried now.

How many thought Alabama would lose a game this year?

Stuff happens.
Gd RSVP Phil- u r correct! Baylor going down to Loisville and us losing to St . Johns.
Thanks for the Giants Patriots reminder- I needed that little Boost!!!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
A lot of really bad things have to fall into place for this team to lose- it's like a an alignment of the planets! ND or Tenn , and maybe an improved smart Stanford team in the Final Four.

Reaction Score
As this is another down year in WBB just as 2009 was :) and UConn is just as dominant I have the same level of confidence!
Actually this team can be even better if this team remains healthy and continues to improve

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Gd RSVP Phil- u r correct! Baylor going down to Loisville and us losing to St . Johns.
Thanks for the Giants Patriots reminder- I needed that little Boost!!!
A great mojo balancer.

Reaction Score
I expect way more steals and blocked shots this year.
Is that what you define as being "suffocating?"
That makes some sense given the personnel. What I had in mind was more great trapping and rotation. Manifesting itself in TOs and 24 second violations.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
That makes some sense given the personnel. What I had in mind was more great trapping and rotation. Manifesting itself in TOs and 24 second violations.

The problems with the 10 second clock have been minimal for most teams.
We just don't have enough guards (especially with the rules enforcement) to trap as effectively as in the past
But next year…

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The 2009 starting lineup by season's end was Maya, Tina, Kalana, Renee, and Tiff. That's two #1 draft picks, one top five pick, and two second-rounders, I believe. Assuming health, by season's end, our lineup is Stewie, KML, Stef, Bria, and Mo. I wouldn't put it past the WNBA to take at least three in the first round, possibly more, and the rest in the second round. So I think this year is comparable at least to the 2009 squad's talent.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The problems with the 10 second clock have been minimal for most teams.
We just don't have enough guards (especially with the rules enforcement) to trap as effectively as in the past
But next year…
I can't remember a single 10 second call this season.

Reaction Score
And without Kelly. I asked for her return for Christmas, but I don't see her anywhere, Do you?

Reaction Score

And the Browns until the officials took over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom