More injuries in WBB (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

More injuries in WBB (merged)

Reaction Score
I don't think they have. SC fans--has your team had any major injuries in the past decade aside from Coates missing the 2016-17 tournament and Raven Johnson's ACL in 2021-22? Seems like Dawn and co. have been able to keep their core players healthy during their string of dominance in the SEC. Props to their strength and conditioning team.
Alexis Jennings was hurt a good bit.

We had the transfer from Penn state tear an ACL early in season one year. That was post A'ja maybe? Have trouble placing that one.

Reaction Score
Sad to say but one of the questions coaches are going to have to take more seriously is whether it's too much of a risk to recruit talented players with a history of serious injuries in high school........look at UConn........ Azzi, Caroline, and Aubrey all had season-ending injuries requiring surgery before they even became Huskies.......... let's face it, some players are simply injury magnets and whether it's past physical problems or simply bad luck, everybody knows players like this.........Paige and Jana are exceptions to this concept, but I think it's worth considering to limit the risk.......I have no idea whether players have to complete physicals before they sign their commitment papers the way free agents have to in the pros but if I was a head coach, I'd sure like to go over medical histories and limit the chances of signing a player that can't help my team for four years before I sign them........ it's a cold-blooded concept that I don't like but at some point, UConn needs to get off of this injury rollercoaster that has destroyed their chances at winning more national championships.......and the good news is that talented players with significant injury histories will still have plenty of teams willing to take a chance on them which should spread the wealth in recruiting....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sad to say but one of the questions coaches are going to have to take more seriously is whether it's too much of a risk to recruit talented players with a history of serious injuries in high school........look at UConn........ Azzi, Caroline, and Aubrey all had season-ending injuries requiring surgery before they even became Huskies.......... let's face it, some players are simply injury magnets and whether it's past physical problems or simply bad luck, everybody knows players like this.........Paige and Jana are exceptions to this concept, but I think it's worth considering to limit the risk.......I have no idea whether players have to complete physicals before they sign their commitment papers the way free agents have to in the pros but if I was a head coach, I'd sure like to go over medical histories and limit the chances of signing a player that can't help my team for four years before I sign them........ it's a cold-blooded concept that I don't like but at some point, UConn needs to get off of this injury rollercoaster that has destroyed their chances at winning more national championships.......and the good news is that talented players with significant injury histories will still have plenty of teams willing to take a chance on them which should spread the wealth in recruiting....
Gabby was also injured in HS, but ended up a 2x AA for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
absolutely but they made the decision it was worth the risk.....maybe limiting the total numbers of players with significant past injuries is the way to go
very true......sometimes the risks are worth taking for a unicorn like that...... the number of players with significant prior injuries should be limited but not ended.....having three or more on a team at the same time seems pretty risky as it turns out......do you know how deeply the schools get into the medical histories of the players they are recruiting?..........in my daughter's case, the fact that she had minor knee surgery and multiple concussions was noted but not brought up when she was being recruited but those were mostly D3 schools....

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
1706753866965.png

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score

If I recall correctly, all of the Huskies you mentioned were injured AFTER they committed to UConn. So in that case, are you recommending Geno pull a scholarship from someone who committed to UConn? By that point anyway, the way recruiting works, all the good players are typically spoken for, or it's too late to get into the game.

Look, injuries suck. It's terrible and hopefully somewhere down the line there will be a solution, especially for ACL's. But it's part of a team's journey and not recruiting a talented player because they had a major injury seems like a serious misstep.

Another way to look at it - not all players are contributors for all four years, for a variety of reasons. I would say if a player is able to contribute at least one year in a meaningful way (either on the court or off the court), then that player should be recruitable.

Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, all of the Huskies you mentioned were injured AFTER they committed to UConn. So in that case, are you recommending Geno pull a scholarship from someone who committed to UConn? By that point anyway, the way recruiting works, all the good players are typically spoken for, or it's too late to get into the game.

Look, injuries suck. It's terrible and hopefully somewhere down the line there will be a solution, especially for ACL's. But it's part of a team's journey and not recruiting a talented player because they had a major injury seems like a serious misstep.

Another way to look at it - not all players are contributors for all four years, for a variety of reasons. I would say if a player is able to contribute at least one year in a meaningful way (either on the court or off the court), then that player should be recruitable.
really sad to see so much talent sitting out so much of their collegiate careers......Azzi injured her knees several times during her high school career.....I'm pretty sure her initial knee surgery took place before she had committed to UConn........not sure about the second one.......Aubrey hurt her knee before she committed to UConn before her sophomore year in high school and Ducharme tore her ACL in the summer after eighth grade and tore her labrum in the summer after her freshman year in high school both before committing to UConn.........she then had hip surgery after her freshman year at UConn......

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
really sad to see so much talent sitting out so much of their collegiate careers......Azzi injured her knees several times during her high school career.....I'm pretty sure her initial knee surgery took place before she had committed to UConn........not sure about the second one.......Aubrey hurt her knee before she committed to UConn before her sophomore year in high school and Ducharme tore her ACL in the summer after eighth grade and tore her labrum in the summer after her freshman year in high school both before committing to UConn.........she then had hip surgery after her freshman year at UConn......
You are also saying the only value they bring is basketball. What about them as people? You don't think Geno is recruiting them as people as well, and not what they can do for him on the basketball court? I am pretty sure his coaching staff does not regret recruiting Azzi, Caroline or Aubrey, despite their unfortunate injury history.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Maybe one way of reducing the injuries is change the way the games are being played. There is too much physical contact allowed, some teams are overly physical and will keep on doing it until the NCAA start enforcing the overt physical play and the refs start calling fouls.

Reaction Score
You are also saying the only value they bring is basketball. What about them as people? You don't think Geno is recruiting them as people as well, and not what they can do for him on the basketball court? I am pretty sure his coaching staff does not regret recruiting Azzi, Caroline or Aubrey, despite their unfortunate injury history.
Maybe, maybe not......I'd say Geno pays more attention to a recruit's behavior on and off the court than any other coach in WBB...........that said, I'd suggest he or any other coach might very well look for another player with equally great qualities and basketball talent instead if he/she believed that numerous recruits would miss multiple years of playing time during their careers during the same seasons.........I believe most highly successful coaches care very much for their student-athletes and desire great team chemistry but their bottom line is developing the best basketball team they can recruit in order to win a national championship...........I hate to be cynical but look at the numbers of players in the transfer portal these days.......the kind of blind loyalty we remember between player and coach is rapidly disappearing......

Reaction Score
Maybe one way of reducing the injuries is change the way the games are being played. There is too much physical contact allowed, some teams are overly physical and will keep on doing it until the NCAA start enforcing the overt physical play and the refs start calling fouls.
I’d be surprised if we didn’t see some adjustment to the refs protocols before next season. It might not have any effect. But it’s hard to imagine the ncaa not trying to change something to address the injuries.

Reaction Score
I'd be curious to see a chart of contact vs non contact injuries. I could be wrong, but I think a lott of these injuries are non contact. School need to start looking at schools like SC with fewer injuries and see what they do differently.
Catapult is a great place to start. Now do you have staff that know how to interpret the data it generates? How intense are your practices compared to schools that don't have as many injuries? What does your players' nutrition look like?
IMO, the wear and tear of practice is a much bigger problem than games. Games makeup such a small part of the athlete's time on the court each week.

Reaction Score
I don't think they have. SC fans--has your team had any major injuries in the past decade aside from Coates missing the 2016-17 tournament and Raven Johnson's ACL in 2021-22? Seems like Dawn and co. have been able to keep their core players healthy during their string of dominance in the SEC. Props to their strength and conditioning team.
The ‘17-18 season, coming off their first NC, found the Gamecocks playing with a very depleted backcourt rotation. It was basically Ty Harris or BUST all year. The biggest loss was Bianca Cuevas-Moore missing the whole season due to a knee injury suffered in preseason. Lindsay Spann, the transfer CG from Penn St., who missed the previous season with a knee injury, was playing very well for SC shooting 45% from the arc in her 15 games played, but in early February, she too went down injuring her opposite knee, effectively ending her collegiate career.

That was the season the Gamecocks tried to play it cute, waiting to get a waiver at mid season for Te’a Cooper but the NCAA didn’t bite. Ironically, PG Araion Bradshaw, who played sparingly in ‘16-17 as a freshman, then transferred to Dayton where she had a productive career as a 4 yr starter for the Flyers, would likely have played quite a bit that season if she had stayed in Columbia. Throw in the losses of Coates to graduation and Gray and Davis leaving early for the draft, I’ll always be amazed at the way A’ja Wilson put that team on her back and got them to the Elite 8.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd be curious to see a chart of contact vs non contact injuries. I could be wrong, but I think a lott of these injuries are non contact. School need to start looking at schools like SC with fewer injuries and see what they do differently.
Catapult is a great place to start. Now do you have staff that know how to interpret the data it generates? How intense are your practices compared to schools that don't have as many injuries? What does your players' nutrition look like?
IMO, the wear and tear of practice is a much bigger problem than games. Games makeup such a small part of the athlete's time on the court each week.
Interesting thought. The moment of injury may not be a result of contact, at least not contact in a game. If the “wear and tear of practice” is part of the problem, some of these seeming non-contact injuries may be connected to contact in practice. But maybe direct contact in practice is not a factor at all.

If I focus on “lower leg injuries” I’m reminded of the sequence of injuries Paige endured. She’d been plagued by ankle problems in high school but managed to play through them. Finally, after her freshman year at UConn, she had surgery to correct the lingering ankle problem. She returned stronger than ever and seemed ready to have an even more dominant season… and promptly blew out her knee in the ND game. She endured plenty of hard contact in that game, including a heavy blow to the head, but none of it on her knee.

Seen as an isolated event, her knee gave out in a way apparently unconnected to what she was doing at that moment. Many ACL injuries appear this way, though Paige’s tibial-plateau fracture may have been a bit different. Cue another surgery and a perhaps too-early return to play that March and a stunning march to the NC game led by a rickety star. Cue a second even more devastating knee injury the following summer, also presumably non-contact and suffered outside of game competition.

In an interview during her last rehab stint, Paige talked about how much more thoroughly she approached every aspect of her athletic life including changes to nutrition and gait analysis. She mentioned that her therapists told her that injuries like hers often occur in a familiar pattern — ankle, knee, knee. I was reminded of something my dad said after he had knee replacement surgery: “Now my hip hurts.” He was a doctor and said this is a recognized pattern: when you change any one thing it affects the architecture of the other joints.

I’ve been watching the way Paige positions her feet in preparation for a shot to see if I can notice anything different. The TV coverage isn’t really good enough for an amateur like me to see anything definitive. But I still wonder. We often hear about kids like Paige and Azzi and even Ash that they position their feet early to get off a shot quickly. It’s practically a signature move. Are they putting more torque on their joints by doing this? And are there other ways in which they might be stressing their knees in order to gain some other tiny advantage?

I’m thinking too hard about this and it’s giving me a headache.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It could also be caused by the initial contact, but occur later in the game. You didn't have this many injuries until the last couple of years and I believe that if they got the blatant contact and physical play under control many of these contact and non-contact injuries would subside. Basketball is SUPPOSED TO BE a non-contact sport, lets get back to that type of game.

Reaction Score
Interesting thought. The moment of injury may not be a result of contact, at least not contact in a game. If the “wear and tear of practice” is part of the problem, some of these seeming non-contact injuries may be connected to contact in practice. But maybe direct contact in practice is not a factor at all.

If I focus on “lower leg injuries” I’m reminded of the sequence of injuries Paige endured. She’d been plagued by ankle problems in high school but managed to play through them. Finally, after her freshman year at UConn, she had surgery to correct the lingering ankle problem. She returned stronger than ever and seemed ready to have an even more dominant season… and promptly blew out her knee in the ND game. She endured plenty of hard contact in that game, including a heavy blow to the head, but none of it on her knee.

Seen as an isolated event, her knee gave out in a way apparently unconnected to what she was doing at that moment. Many ACL injuries appear this way, though Paige’s tibial-plateau fracture may have been a bit different. Cue another surgery and a perhaps too-early return to play that March and a stunning march to the NC game led by a rickety star. Cue a second even more devastating knee injury the following summer, also presumably non-contact and suffered outside of game competition.

In an interview during her last rehab stint, Paige talked about how much more thoroughly she approached every aspect of her athletic life including changes to nutrition and gait analysis. She mentioned that her therapists told her that injuries like hers often occur in a familiar pattern — ankle, knee, knee. I was reminded of something my dad said after he had knee replacement surgery: “Now my hip hurts.” He was a doctor and said this is a recognized pattern: when you change any one thing it affects the architecture of the other joints.

I’ve been watching the way Paige positions her feet in preparation for a shot to see if I can notice anything different. The TV coverage isn’t really good enough for an amateur like me to see anything definitive. But I still wonder. We often hear about kids like Paige and Azzi and even Ash that they position their feet early to get off a shot quickly. It’s practically a signature move. Are they putting more torque on their joints by doing this? And are there other ways in which they might be stressing their knees in order to gain some other tiny advantage?

I’m thinking too hard about this and it’s giving me a headache.
While fans don't need these headaches, I think performance teams need to be thinking this hard about each athlete they work with, while using science to draw conclusions and inform decision-making.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
While fans don't need these headaches, I think performance teams need to be thinking this hard about each athlete they work with, while using science to draw conclusions and inform decision-making.

When I saw your name posted in this thread, my first thought was :eek::eek:

Can't be scaring me like that

source.gif

Reaction Score
Although, interestingly, it seems that most ACL injuries are of the dreaded “non contact” type. In fact, when someone goes down without contact and grabs their knee - my 1st thought is ACL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom