More injuries in WBB (merged) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

More injuries in WBB (merged)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
What, pray tell, is the "Stanford/Notre Dame" path?
In the 1998 NCAAT, Stanford got a #1 seed, although Vanessa Nygaard and Kristin Folkl went down with injuries. That info wasn't released before the tourney. UConn was given a #2 seed, most likely due to Nykesha Sales season ending injury. Last season, receiving a #3 seed, ND was a bit coy, IMHO, in regards to Olivia Miles injury.

Was there any nefarious intent? Who knows. And in this day of HIPAA and a whole host of privacy regulations, there's a good chance we won't know anything until the player allows the release.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe that the University can release info on if the player is able to play or not, they just can't comment on what the injury is.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
In the 1998 NCAAT, Stanford got a #1 seed, although Vanessa Nygaard and Kristin Folkl went down with injuries. That info wasn't released before the tourney. UConn was given a #2 seed, most likely due to Nykesha Sales season ending injury. Last season, receiving a #3 seed, ND was a bit coy, IMHO, in regards to Olivia Miles injury.

Was there any nefarious intent? Who knows. And in this day of HIPAA and a whole host of privacy regulations, there's a good chance we won't know anything until the player allows the release.
Folkl was injured the Tuesday prior to their first round game and announced within 48 hours that she was out for the season - ie, her injury occurred after they had seeded the bracket, and Stanford announced within a very transparent amount of time after that.

As for Nygaard, that same article said Nygaard was hoping to play again during the tournament - this came to naught after Stanford was upset in the first round, but I think sufficient evidence to put to rest any notion that strategically concealing injuries to gain an unfair seeding benefit is "the Stanford path."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Saying ND (Niele) was "a bit coy" is an understatement. "Day-to-day," and "still being evaluated" was all the committee was getting from Niele. I'm still not sure anyone from ND or Olivia Miles herself has said the words "Olivia tore her [my] ACL" or "Olivia had surgery to repair a torn ACL."

As for Stanford and Nygaard, this is from a post I made on the same subject last year:

"Some will recall the situation in 1998 with Stanford and Vanessa Nygaard's knee injury in the PAC-10 conference final against Oregon State. While Nygaard's knee was undergoing testing (MRI), the committee tried to get in touch with Tara.

Jean Lenti Ponsetto, NCAA selection committee chair from DePaul: "By Saturday afternoon, when Nygaard was injured, the bracket was probably almost done. I know we tried to get ahold of Tara after we had heard that there was an injury at Stanford. The rule is that the committee is notified as soon as an injury happens, but that wasn't probably easy at that point because we were holed up. I remember the NCAA staff had tried to reach Tara, and she was out walking her dog. We had two brackets, one with them as a No. 1 seed and another with them as a No. 2. But the bottom line is, the committee went with the info we had. And we left them at a No. 1. I remember asking Tara later, 'Were you really out walking your dog while we were trying to reach you?' She said, 'I guess.'"

Stanford then lost to #16 seed Harvard."

Karma maybe.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
Saying ND (Niele) was "a bit coy" is an understatement. "Day-to-day," and "still being evaluated" was all the committee was getting from Niele. I'm still not sure anyone from ND or Olivia Miles herself has said the words "Olivia tore her [my] ACL" or "Olivia had surgery to repair a torn ACL."

As for Stanford and Nygaard, this is from a post I made on the same subject last year:

"Some will recall the situation in 1998 with Stanford and Vanessa Nygaard's knee injury in the PAC-10 conference final against Oregon State. While Nygaard's knee was undergoing testing (MRI), the committee tried to get in touch with Tara.

Jean Lenti Ponsetto, NCAA selection committee chair from DePaul: "By Saturday afternoon, when Nygaard was injured, the bracket was probably almost done. I know we tried to get ahold of Tara after we had heard that there was an injury at Stanford. The rule is that the committee is notified as soon as an injury happens, but that wasn't probably easy at that point because we were holed up. I remember the NCAA staff had tried to reach Tara, and she was out walking her dog. We had two brackets, one with them as a No. 1 seed and another with them as a No. 2. But the bottom line is, the committee went with the info we had. And we left them at a No. 1. I remember asking Tara later, 'Were you really out walking your dog while we were trying to reach you?' She said, 'I guess.'"

Stanford then lost to #16 seed Harvard."

Karma maybe.
For what it's worth, the source you're quoting from suggests Nygaard didn't learn it was an ACL tear until after the selection special, and even then, initially wanted to play. Maybe time to let this one go 26 years later.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, the source you're quoting from suggests Nygaard didn't learn it was an ACL tear until after the selection special, and even then, initially wanted to play. Maybe time to let this one go 26 years later.
No. I'm not going to let it go. I personally love the story, particularly the part about Tara walking her dog and of course the Harvard game. Anytime the issue of an injury and the selection committee comes up, I may post about Tara and her dog again.

Reaction Score
Player update unrelated to the Stanford/ND saga…

Mir McLean did not participate in senior night at UVA. I’m guessing that means she’ll be back for next season. If so, great news for UVA as I don’t think they have any other “bigs” on next years expected roster. Of course Mir isn’t a true BIG, but she plays like one.

Reaction Score
Player update unrelated to the Stanford/ND saga…

Mir McLean did not participate in senior night at UVA. I’m guessing that means she’ll be back for next season. If so, great news for UVA as I don’t think they have any other “bigs” on next years expected roster. Of course Mir isn’t a true BIG, but she plays like one.
She’s got 2 years of eligibility left so makes sense

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
No. I'm not going to let it go. I personally love the story, particularly the part about Tara walking her dog and of course the Harvard game. Anytime the issue of an injury and the selection committee comes up, I may post about Tara and her dog again.
If there's anything I've learned from Tennessee and its fans over the past decade, it's that a program that's in a slow and inevitable descent from unparalleled heights should consider expressing a quantum of gratitude for its longstanding rivals and rivalries, because those rivalries, however bitter and heated in the moment, were actually quintessential to the very height of their relevance, and those rivals an essential component of it.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I wonder how much coaches are incented to withhold injury information because of their contracts. It’s not unusual to have a bonus tied to making the sweet 16 or elite eight. Better seeding makes advancing in the tournament more likely, so it might literally pay to withhold information.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Just love it that the ONLY #1 seed to lose in the first round is Stanford, their coach did such a good job in losing to a team that barely made it into the tournament. I guess it's true, karma does work in mysterious ways.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Two number one seeds have lost to sixteen seeds on the men’s side. In 1989 on the men’s side two number one seeds only won by one point against sixteen seeds.

Harvard’s record was 22-4, winning the Ivy League for the third year in a row. They didn’t “barely” make it into the tournament.

If my team had a history of recent knee injuries, I wouldn’t been tempting fate with the basketball gods crowing about a team losing to a #16 seed over 25 years ago due to knee injuries.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Two number one seeds have lost to sixteen seeds on the men’s side. In 1989 on the men’s side two number one seeds only won by one point against sixteen seeds.

Harvard’s record was 22-4, winning the Ivy League for the third year in a row. They didn’t “barely” make it into the tournament.

If my team had a history of recent knee injuries, I wouldn’t been tempting fate with the basketball gods crowing about a team losing to a #16 seed over 25 years ago due to knee injuries.
You do know that this a WBB forum so I give a darn what has happened on the men's side. If you are a #16 seed in the NCAA Tournament, that means the only reason you got in as far as the committee is concerned is that you won the Ivy League, they didn't have a choice.

Reaction Score

Bringing up players very serious injuries like this is just gross behaviors. Their friends and families read these boards and saying injuries are repercussions from fans talking is so inappropriate.

Reaction Score
First a disclaimer: I am not a doctor, I have no inside information regarding the nature or extent of the injuries incurred, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn.

But I did watch Kitley return to the bench. Although she appeared to be walking gingerly, she did so without assistance. She was not using crutches and was not wearing a leg/knee brace. I did not see her applying ice to her left leg and the left knee appeared to be the same size as the right knee (No visible swelling) Also, she was sitting on the bench in a notmal position (legs bent).

You can draw your own conclusion from my amateur observations, but I am hopeful that she will have speedy and full recovery.

Reaction Score
Bringing up players very serious injuries like this is just gross behaviors. Their friends and families read these boards and saying injuries are repercussions from fans talking is so inappropriate.
And what of the family and friends of the two Stanford players from 1998?

Reaction Score
And what of the family and friends of the two Stanford players from 1998?
Nobodies blaming people, let alone fans, for their injuries. They are talking about TARA potentially deceiving the committee. If you want to talk about a Geno or UConn fans fine but speculating about current UConn players getting injured or being injured because of fan commentary is inappropriate and gross.

Reaction Score
The whole talk of karma about injuries, regardless when it happened is gross and inappropriate. So is taunting other fanbases over what happened and stating they'd do it again when they feel like it.

We all have to do better.

Reaction Score
The whole talk of karma about injuries, regardless when it happened is gross and inappropriate. So is taunting other fanbases over what happened and stating they'd do it again when they feel like it.

We all have to do better.
Thank you for stating the point I was trying to make much more graciously.

I was in Maples the night a 16 seed beat a 1 seed. Whenever I hear of a promising season for any team derailed by an injury, it stirs up a lot of emotions as I remember the look on Nygaard's face as the season slips away. I think most of the Stanford faithful thought Tara would sub her in to hit a couple 3's to salvage the season.

My daughter had to retire from her sport last year because of multiple concussions. I don't wish these feelings on any family or fanbase.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thank you for stating the point I was trying to make much more graciously.

I was in Maples the night a 16 seed beat a 1 seed. Whenever I hear of a promising season for any team derailed by an injury, it stirs up a lot of emotions as I remember the look on Nygaard's face as the season slips away. I think most of the Stanford faithful thought Tara would sub her in to hit a couple 3's to salvage the season.

My daughter had to retire from her sport because of multiple concussions. I don't wish these feelings on any family or fanbase.

I hear you. I believe @hoopsnloops32 was doing the same but from a more current perspective.

Good nature jabs towards rival programs, I get. It's part of the fun of being a sports fan. The tone in some posts about what happened in the past didn't come across that way to me however.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom