More improbable run 2011 or 2014 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

More improbable run 2011 or 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
2014 was more improbably because they showed nothing during the year, and didn't even win a weak conference tournament. The 2011 team never lost in tournament play and played well throughout the year, despite struggling in a tough Big East conference.

2011 was more impactful given that we hadn't seen anything like that before. 2014 lost a bit of its shine, if you can say that, because 2011 happened so recently.

What was so weak about the AAC tournament? Playing 3 top 20 teams in consecutive days and beating two of them?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If you are sticking strictly to the NCAA, it's 2014. Lower seed, tougher games, lower expectations. After the BET, 2011 was clearly one of the best teams in the country. Thought we had a chance against MSU in MSG, but odds favored a loss. Outplaying FL and UK as badly we did was very surprising.

If it's after the end of the regular season, it's 2011. 9-9 in conference, not looking too good. Going 11 for 11 in the post season won't happen again for a long time, if ever.

The two teams are fraternal twins, iyam.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
In my mind, I can't separate the 11 BET and NCAA championships. It is one incredible accomplishment in my mind.
Hell, I'm not sure we even get into the tourney without making at least the 3rd round of the BET.
It all started with having to play 5 damned games in the BET. No-one will ever have the opportunity to do that again, because there's not going to be an 18 team field again. Hell we not only had to beat teams that were ranked higher, but 3 of them had a double bye. I can't look at that year without seeing an 11 win title run, which makes it the greater accomplishment in my mind.

And then I think -- yeah, but after the 1st 2011 NCAA win, I thought, "We got this."

This year, I'm not sure I started thinking that until after the 3rd round.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
In my mind, I can't separate the 11 BET and NCAA championships. It is one incredible accomplishment in my mind.
Hell, I'm not sure we even get into the tourney without making at least the 3rd round of the BET.
It all started with having to play 5 damned games in the BET. No-one will ever have the opportunity to do that again, because there's not going to be an 18 team field again. Hell we not only had to beat teams that were ranked higher, but 3 of them had a double bye. I can't look at that year without seeing an 11 win title run, which makes it the greater accomplishment in my mind.

And then I think -- yeah, but after the 1st 2011 NCAA win, I thought, "We got this."

This year, I'm not sure I started thinking that until after the 3rd round.

In some ways, the Big East Tourney in 2011 was as big an accomplishment as the NCAA given the competition. The 2014 NCAA tourney was a juggernaut and the team just responded to every challenge. If we are only talking about the NCAA's, I'd go with 2014. If we include the conference tourney, 2011 was the pinnacle.

Reaction Score
In some ways, the Big East Tourney in 2011 was as big an accomplishment as the NCAA given the competition. The 2014 NCAA tourney was a juggernaut and the team just responded to every challenge. If we are only talking about the NCAA's, I'd go with 2014. If we include the conference tourney, 2011 was the pinnacle.

The 2011 Big East run was already being talked about as one of the greatest tournament runs, and then they went and won the whole damn thing. The 5 wins in 5 days is unbelievably overlooked now because we are responsible for 2 of the 4 all time improbable runs but I remember talking heads discussing whether our BE run was more difficult than winning the NCAAT prior to March Madness that year.

Nothing better than rooting for the Huskies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think 2014would have surprised us all more if 2011had not happened. Who guessed lightning would strike the same place twice in 3 years?
But I think 2014 was more of a surprise. We had a bad year i n 2010 but no one thought our program was dead like many did after the ban and JC leaving.

I also think there was a lot more talent on the 2011 team. We had freshman that had to play like vets in 11. In 14 we had role players that had to play like stars.that had to play like stars.But

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
my post screwed up at the end (on a tablet) but I think Kemba had a better supporting cast.

Reaction Score
I thought we were going to lose to Michigan State, and then also to Florida. Once the NCAAs started, I never thought anyone was going to beat the 2011 team.

Truth be told I thought we would lose to everyone but 'Nova. I had zero doubt against them. 10 minutes into the St. Joes game watching their big European dominate had me thinking it was all over.

Reaction Score
2011 was the bigger surprise since we relied so much on freshman. Starting team in the finals consisted of 3 freshman, 1 sophomore, and 1 junior. 2014: 2 seniors, 2 juniors, and a sophomore.

Reaction Score
If you start at the conference tournaments it's 2011.

Just the NCAA's? It's 2014 no question. We played the Atlantic Ten Champs. Big East Champs. Big 12 Champs. Big Ten Champs who every expert picked to win their NCAA office pools. SEC Champs #1 team who hadn't lost a game since December. And preseason #1 Kentucky who had the best freshman class ever and finally put it together for the NCAA's.

The 2011 team gets some points for winning the 2 road games against SDSU and Zona but 2014 faced better teams.

Both runs are incredible and we should count ourselves lucky we had 2 of these things in 4 years.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I would say 2014. in 2011 we ran through the gauntlet BET and won it all. We were a storyline having stunned alot of critics. Although we played well vs cincy+memphis, we got trounced in the AAC tourney by ville (second time in the year) this year. I'm pretty sure everybody thought we weren't championship ready after that. All we wanted was the chance to play in MSG.
As much as I wanted to be po'd by that 7-seed; I got a little excited as soon as I saw the bracket layout. I underestimated St. Joe's but I had a good feeling about Iowa St and Mich St.

Reaction Score
Beating SDSU and Arizona was no small task it's self esentially road games, our veteran Uconn teams in the past weren't able to pull that off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom