More Husky history - Nykesha Sales | The Boneyard

More Husky history - Nykesha Sales

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I remember Geno talking about Nykesha's defense...probably with tongue-in-cheek a bit.
He said that the reason Nykesha gets so many steals is that she doesn't know where she is supposed to be...the other team expects her to be in the proper defense...she ain't there...and winds up with a steal due to being in the wrong place at the right time.

Reaction Score
I remember Geno talking about Nykesha's defense...probably with tongue-in-cheek a bit.
He said that the reason Nykesha gets so many steals is that she doesn't know where she is supposed to be...the other team expects her to be in the proper defense...she ain't there...and winds up with a steal due to being in the wrong place at the right time.
Classic Geno.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tara Van Deveer must be the most overrated coach in history. She had 5 Nykesha Sales and couldn't win with them.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Precious
Her time at UConn ended before I became a UConn fan (2008). I never saw her play, but I know who she is, and what she did. "Precious" is the moniker I think of whenever I see or hear her name. Nykesha still holds the single-game scoring record of 46 points. That record was set 26 years ago and still standing. She did it against a highly ranked MAJOR program. Not an unranked mid or low major. :cool: A lot of players have come through the program in that time.

Her 46 points against Stanford (Dec 21, 1997) set a new UConn record for points in a single game. As a senior at UConn, Sales was named MVP of the pre-season Women's National Invitational Tourna¬ment and was one of only four collegiate players admitted to the Women's Senior National Team Trials.

Last edited:

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Her time at UConn ended before I became a UConn fan (2008). I never saw her play, but I know who she is, and what she did. "Precious" is the moniker I think of whenever I see or hear her name. Nykesha still holds the single-game scoring record of 46 points. That record was set 26 years ago and still standing. She did it against a highly ranked MAJOR program. Not an unranked mid or low major. :cool: A lot of players have come through the program in that time.

Her 46 points against Stanford (Dec 21, 1997) set a new UConn record for points in a single game. As a senior at UConn, Sales was named MVP of the pre-season Women's National Invitational Tourna¬ment and was one of only four collegiate players admitted to the Women's Senior National Team Trials.

I saw all four years of her collegiate career. Her teammates gave her that nickname because they said Geno never yelled at her.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I saw all four years of her collegiate career. Her teammates gave her that nickname because they said Geno never yelled at her.
Thanks, I didn't know that. :cool:

Reaction Score
Its between Jen Rizzoti and Sales as best UCONN player from CT. I am going with Sales.
I have it as a tie as one was a point guard and the other a small forward. One could not get it done without the other.
Both making a living from basketball these days in very good employment situations. UConn rocks on!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom