More history is imminent: the path to 71 in a row? | The Boneyard

More history is imminent: the path to 71 in a row?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
as a reminder, the top five winning streaks in WCBB history are:

1. Uconn- 90
2. Uconn- 70
3. Uconn- 66 (and counting)
4. La Tech- 54
5. Uconn- 47

Well, whatever happens from here on, Uconn will own the top three streaks in the history of WCBB. However, the Huskies are nonetheless closing in on the #2 streak of all time. If Uconn wins the AAC tourney, the Huskies will be at 69 in a row, and then would have the opportunity to be at 71 in a row in Storrs by the second round round of the NCAA tourney.

Chasing 70 has been a long time coming. A shocking loss to Villanova in the 2003 BET is when the record was set. 70 in a row remained intact until the semis of the 2010 BET against Notre Dame, when Uconn set the record at 71 and eventually got to 90 the following December. Now Uconn may just make history. After all, when you've established yourself at the #2 spot, the only thing left to do is overtake #1.

Again, the chase continues, and 70 wins in a row is just waiting to be surpassed. Amazing that Uconn could win 47 consecutive , have that streak unceremoniously snapped, and simply start another streak that's closing in on #2 all time...at least...

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, I believe UConn holds the record for most consecutive double-digit wins, with 77. That streak ended with a six point win in the 2010 national championship game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, I believe UConn holds the record for most consecutive double-digit wins, with 77. That streak ended with a six point win in the 2010 national championship game.
Stanford hit a bunch of threes late to cut the deficit in that game. :(

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We need a good effort on Monday. USF has been very pesky over the past 2 years.

Streaks are the result of focusing on 1 game at a time, 1 possession at a time. That said, I like our chances for at least 7 more.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
papergc,441x415,w,ffffff.2u6.jpg

Reaction Score

Streaks are the result of focusing on 1 game at a time, 1 possession at a time. That said, I like our chances for at least 7 more.
USF will beat us when Alydar and Affirmed return for a match race and Alydar wins!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

A UConn staffer should place a couple of these signs in the runway leading from UConn's opponent's dressing room to the floor...............just as a friendly warning. :D

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Courtney Williams gets, at most, 2 more chances.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't poor ol' USF been placed in UConn's bracket the last two years? Give 'em a break already. Put them anywhere other that in UConn's bracket.
Trust me, they are as tired of seeing UConn as the huskies are of seeing them. They don't dream about UConn, they have nightmares about UConn. UConn is that one constant thorn in their side that they just can't beat, no matter how hard they try. :( C'mon selection committee, give 'em a break.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't poor ol' USF been placed in UConn's bracket the last two years? Give 'em a break already. Put them anywhere other that in UConn's bracket.
Trust me, they are as tired of seeing UConn as the huskies are of seeing them. They don't dream about UConn, they have nightmares about UConn. UConn is that one constant thorn in their side that they just can't beat, no matter how hard they try. :( C'mon selection committee, give 'em a break.
I don't recall prior years, but I think USF deserves to face some other P5 teams.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

They're pesky for two reasons. One they are very good and two they match up very well against UConn. And yes. I like the Husky's chances.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
A streak that has not been mentioned here for quite a while is the number of games played without losing two in succession. I believe this unique streak began at the end of the '91-'92 season and stood at about 809 games when this season began.

This surely is one of the most extraordinary records in the vast world of sports. Would someone confirm my numbers so we can all keep track.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A streak that has not been mentioned here for quite a while is the number of games played without losing two in succession. I believe this unique streak began at the end of the '91-'92 season and stood at about 809 games when this season began.

This surely is one of the most extraordinary records in the vast world of sports. Would someone confirm my numbers so we can all keep track.
I swear I read that number earlier today, but I don't recall exactly what it was, and I can't find it. I thought the streak dated to March 1993. Twenty-three seasons would be about 800-840 games.

A couple of other factoids:

We just tied our record of 114-1 for the best record in 115 games. That must be the NCAA record as well.

Since the start of the 2005-06 season, we are 389-23 in just under 11 seasons. That averages to about 36-2 if we run the table.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

The last time Uconn lost two in a row was the conclusion of the 1992-1993 season, when Uconn lost a BET game and then lost the opening round of the NCAA atourney to Louisville.

If you look Geno up in Wikipedia, the coaching record section will tell you how many games were played each season between 1993 and this current one. If Wikipedia says Geno went 25-8 in one season, for instance, that adds 33 games to the streak as you've said you wish to tabulate it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I went back to the Media Guide. The 1992-93 season record was 18-11. Imagine that! They went 30-3 the following year.

In the first 11 seasons, starting in the fall of 1994, they played 395 games. The record was 370-25, which included 2 perfect seasons and 5 national championships.

In the next 11 seasons, starting in the fall of 2004, they played 416 games. The record was 385-31, which included 3 perfect seasons and 5 more national championships.

That totals to 811 games coming into this season, plus 30 through Saturday, for a total of 841.

Feel free to check my numbers.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
69 in a row! That's a tremendous win streak.

70 in a row is a gimme. I'm sorry if that upsets any "mojo", but a #1 seed doesn't lose in its homecourt to a #16. Next, there will be yet another home game against an 8/9 seed. Uconn has made 22 consecutive regional semis and probably won't stop in 2016. What happens in Bridgeport or, God willing, Indy, is anyone's guess, but some of us like our chances. And getting to 71 in a row is highly likely.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
69 in a row! That's a tremendous win streak.

70 in a row is a gimme. I'm sorry if that upsets any "mojo", but a #1 seed doesn't lose in its homecourt to a #16. Next, there will be yet another home game against an 8/9 seed. Uconn has made 22 consecutive regional semis and probably won't stop in 2016. What happens in Bridgeport or, God willing, Indy, is anyone's guess, but some of us like our chances. And getting to 71 in a row is highly likely.
p=.999999999

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
70 in a row is officially in the books, with Duqesne next. That entails playing a #9-seed at home. It's time for Uconn to take dead aim at national championship #11 in the program's history, but I firmly believe it's fine to appreciate the moment of reclaiming he second-longest winning streak the sport has ever seen.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
70 is a lot!!

The way they assemble these streaks is one possession at a time. That's why they are successful. Let's start in the first minute against Duquesne!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
71 in a row is officially a fait accompli. As of this moment, the top three streaks in WCBB history are 90 (2008-2010), 71 (2014-present), And 70 (2001-2003). All by Uconn, at that.

All eyes on 75 in a row now. And four NCs in a row. And #11 overall. The time is now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom