More from Aresco | The Boneyard

More from Aresco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's moving next month to a town just south of Providence? What he should be doing is moving the conference offices to Manhattan!

I don't understand why anybody even cares. This is the Internet era. Your office location barely matters. Between phone calls, emails, and video conferencing, I really fail to see the importance of having an expensive office in downtown Manhattan.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't understand why anybody even cares. This is the Internet era. Your office location barely matters. Between phone calls, emails, and video conferencing, I really fail to see the importance of having an expensive office in downtown Manhattan.
It's not important in every profession or every company, I don't have an office there, but one of the Big East marketable traits is it's affliation with NYC. The value of having a physical presence in the city would exceed the cost. Better media access, a stronger claim on the NYC DMA, and I suspect a nominal increase in recruiting. We are a conference going through a an identity crisis. Establishing an NYC presence would help correct that.

Reaction Score
Question: Does the conference have a satellite office in N.Y.C. ? At the very least negotiate this: rent closet space from the Mets as an addendum to the SNY Media deal. Just have a physical pressence in the Media & Financial Capital of the Western World for gods sake.

Reaction Score
It's not important in every profession or every company, I don't have an office there, but one of the Big East marketable traits is it's affliation with NYC. The value of having a physical presence in the city would exceed the cost. Better media access, a stronger claim on the NYC DMA, and I suspect a nominal increase in recruiting. We are a conference going through a an identity crisis. Establishing an NYC presence would help correct that.

You really think having a Big East Office in NYC is going to have even a nominal affect on recruiting? That seems optimistic and baseless. I can't, for the love of me, figure out how or why. The SEC is in Birmingham, Alabama, for . They could move it to a real city, like, say, Atlanta, but it hasn't had any affect at all. The Big 12 is in Irving, Texas.

I understand there are legitimate criticisms to be made about the Big East leadership over the years, but office location just doesn't seem all that important to me, honestly.

Reaction Score
You really think having a Big East Office in NYC is going to have even a nominal affect on recruiting? That seems optimistic and baseless. I can't, for the love of me, figure out how or why. The SEC is in Birmingham, Alabama, for . They could move it to a real city, like, say, Atlanta, but it hasn't had any affect at all. The Big 12 is in Irving, Texas.

I understand there are legitimate criticisms to be made about the Big East leadership over the years, but office location just doesn't seem all that important to me, honestly.

Being located in New York makes it much easier to promote the conference in New York. Press conferences, media days etc. could and should all be in NY, not Rhode Island. Going to New York and going big time go hand in hand.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The reason the BE was left out in the cold was that the other conferences had better relationships with the Bowls and TV networks.

Now, it is easier to build these relationships if your office is in Manhattan or in Providence?

That's all there is to it, really.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Do you want go to a lobster dinner in Providence with only sports based media there or a 5 star steak dinner in Manhattan with the New York based media as well there as a recruit?

Walk the red carpet in Manhattan or go to a country club in Providence?

It's all about selling to recruits, and even selling yourselves to the locals. If you make yourself out to be a big deal in a sport fueled by perception, you will become a big deal.

Reaction Score
Day to day business will be conducted in Providence. Anything worth public attention is happening in Manhattan. Aresco's from CT.

Reaction Score

This.

For some reason people think the Big East will garner attention in NYC by moving their offices there.

Those people have never been to NYC.

Reaction Score
We should have a major presence in NYC, we host the BE bball champ game at MSG, Uconn and Rutgers are big in NYC, it's the media capital of the world. We should have an office in Times Square or at least some branding in NYC. The only thing that the BE should be doing in providence is holding their annual clam bake.

Reaction Score
Being located in New York makes it much easier to promote the conference in New York. Press conferences, media days etc. could and should all be in NY, not Rhode Island. Going to New York and going big time go hand in hand.

Men and Women's Basketball Media day is held in NYC (New York Athletic Club).
Football Media Day is held in Newport RI in July.

Not sure where the office is has to do with recruits/recruiting in any way shape or form. ACC office is located in Greensboro?

Reaction Score
Men and Women's Basketball Media day is held in NYC (New York Athletic Club).
Football Media Day is held in Newport RI in July.

Not sure where the office is has to do with recruits/recruiting in any way shape or form. ACC office is located in Greensboro?

The ACC is on solid ground, we need all the help we can get and perception wise being associated with the big apple media market can't hurt.

Reaction Score
We should have a major presence in NYC, we host the BE bball champ game at MSG, Uconn and Rutgers are big in NYC, it's the media capital of the world. We should have an office in Times Square or at least some branding in NYC. The only thing that the BE should be doing in providence is holding their annual clam bake.

This I agree with. Branding. I've said this for years....the concept that a single athletic program, can garner the NYC market is ridiculous. Sorry Rutgers. NEver mind a single college program...there are not one, but two professional sports franchises in every major sport in NYC, and there's still plenty of room in the market. What can make a dent in new york city for college athletics - is an entire conference. The Big East is that conference, and the Big East Conference should be marketed all over the city. NYC high school ballers, need to know without a doubt, that the Big East - is their conference.

Reaction Score
Nothing says "we don't get modern big time sports" like an HQ in Providence, Rhode Island.

Reaction Score
I doubt football media in Newport changes. Newport in summer is a world class leisure destination. What Aresco needs to do, is capitalize on what 30 years and counting of great Big East basketball in NYC has done for the conference from a perception standpoint.

I have no doubt, that it will be capitalitzed on from a branding and marketing standpoint. Having offices in the city is not necessary. We play our conference tournament there.

Reaction Score
Nothing says "we don't get modern big time sports" like an HQ in Providence, Rhode Island.
What does it say about the SEC having their offices located in Birmingham?

"We're looking forward to one of our employees' murder being featured on First 48"?

Reaction Score
This I agree with. Branding. I've said this for years....the concept that a single athletic program, can garner the NYC market is ridiculous. Sorry Rutgers. NEver mind a single college program...there are not one, but two professional sports franchises in every major sport in NYC, and there's still plenty of room in the market. What can make a dent in new york city for college athletics - is an entire conference. The Big East is that conference, and the Big East Conference should be marketed all over the city. NYC high school ballers, need to know without a doubt, that the Big East - is their conference.
Having your office located there has absolutely nothing to do with marketing.

The story of the QB you told being featured in Times Square when they were lobbying for the heisman on his behalf is one thing. They didn't move the AD's office to NYC.

Reaction Score
Oregon (via Nike) advertised in NYC for two years, big time, following their media snub for a title game about a decade ago now. Oregon Ducks football was well known in Manhattan, and seen in Times Square regularly.

Joey Harrington, the Oregon QB at the time, and heisman candidate, in what I've written about, was about 200feet tall, on the building directly across from the main entrance to Madison Square Garden for one week in 2002. It was the week of the Big East basketball tournament at MSG. Every college hoops fan that entered or left left MSG was greeted by a 200ft tall Oregon Ducks QB. Every person that entered and left Penn Stattion, or was simply in the neighborhood, saw the Oregon Ducks QB up there. The commissioner of the Big East, was interviewed about it by NY Times reporter. You can find the article, if you look, it's not hard to find.

The big east conference, has been very poorly marketed, for a very long time. I expect that as soon as Aresco gets the media stuff settled, all of his efforts are going to go into the promotion of this conference, and he's got a lot of experience in television, and understanding sports, and how it's promoted, and where, and to who. I have no doubt that NYC will be a big part of it. It's not called the media capital of the world by accident, and Nike didn't focus two years of promotional money into Oregon football 3,000 miles from the campus, for no reason at all.

The amount of money that was poured into advertising Oregon football in Manhattan a decade ago, is staggering, and the Oregon Ducks have benefiitted from it. They put the pennies into the college football popularity game.

Reaction Score
I agree with the marketing. I think you agree that the location of the offices has nothing to do with the marketing.

Reaction Score

Me neither.

Reaction Score
Oregon (via Nike) advertised in NYC for two years, big time, following their media snub for a title game about a decade ago now. Oregon Ducks football was well known in Manhattan, and seen in Times Square regularly.

Joey Harrington, the Oregon QB at the time, and heisman candidate, in what I've written about, was about 200feet tall, on the building directly across from the main entrance to Madison Square Garden for one week in 2002. It was the week of the Big East basketball tournament at MSG. Every college hoops fan that entered or left left MSG was greeted by a 200ft tall Oregon Ducks QB. Every person that entered and left Penn Stattion, or was simply in the neighborhood, saw the Oregon Ducks QB up there. The commissioner of the Big East, was interviewed about it by NY Times reporter. You can find the article, if you look, it's not hard to find.

The big east conference, has been very poorly marketed, for a very long time. I expect that as soon as Aresco gets the media stuff settled, all of his efforts are going to go into the promotion of this conference, and he's got a lot of experience in television, and understanding sports, and how it's promoted, and where, and to who. I have no doubt that NYC will be a big part of it. It's not called the media capital of the world by accident, and Nike didn't focus two years of promotional money into Oregon football 3,000 miles from the campus, for no reason at all.

The amount of money that was poured into advertising Oregon football in Manhattan a decade ago, is staggering, and the Oregon Ducks have benefiitted from it. They put the pennies into the college football popularity game.

Here we go with you and your NYC billboards again.........Hey Carl, ever hear of Phil Knight?

Reaction Score
St.johns, syracuse, and pitt are big in NYC. I think with Pitt and Syracuse leaving the conference it will lead to more people rooting for Uconn. The sanctions this year hurt the program for this year(No big east tournament), but I think 2nd place after St.JOhns will be Uconn. But I guess this is more suited for basketball board. Beat Rutgers and keep winning football games and people will notice. They even jumped on the bandwagon for Rutgers a couple of years ago, started a little this year, but we all knew RU would choke. NYC likes winners.. They had their chance against Oklahoma(think Boise St.) they win we might be in the ACC next year.

Reaction Score
What does it say about the SEC having their offices located in Birmingham?

"We're looking forward to one of our employees' murder being featured on First 48"?

You mean where most of our rocket scientists live? Birmingham Hunstville has similar demographics to Silicon Valley.

Our football offices might as well be in Australia. It also sends a message as to where our priorities lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom