More difficult to replace next year...Stewie or Mo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

More difficult to replace next year...Stewie or Mo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stewart. The reasons already supplied by those that voted for her.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is a question I'm sure we'll debate again during the "dawg daze" of summer. I have some thoughts on this topic, but we must remember that we are talking about two young ladies that are not your average players. We may never see another player that can do/ has done all of the things Stewart and Jefferson can do. Leadership aside, Players with Stewart's and Mo's skill and abilities don't pull up on campus and get off the bus everyday.

This is a thought provoking topic that whets our appetite for discussion. I read the responses and found them to be very interesting. I want to revisit this later, but off the top of my head, I'd say Stewart. As another poster said, "neither can be replaced", at least not next season. It took three years for them to evolve into the players they became as seniors. They evolved.

It's believed that Crystal Dangerfield has many similar skills and the speed of Moriah. I need to see her play before I can make any judgements or assessments going forward. There's an old adage that I believe can be injected into this discussion: "There's no substitute for experience". It is impossible for any freshman to come in and have the confidence and wisdom to make the right reads and on the fly decisions that come with experience.

Katie Lou Samuelson is the closest player I believe we have that may be able to step in and do some of the things Stewart did. There is no one else. She has a similar body type, she's long, can run the floor, and can shoot for beyond the arc. Believe it or not, Stewart intimidates a lot of opponents from coming into the lane for layups or short 5-6 foot jumpers. Her reputation precedes her. Other teams already know what she can do. They watch TV also. Thus, they can be reluctant to challenge her in the paint. She is an excellent "rim protector". Someone will be assigned to step into that role next season. How effective they will be, remains to be seen.

I haven't seen any of the incoming freshmen play yet, so I'll reserve any thoughts on any contributions they may render next season. Before I can get excited about any player, they've got to pass the "eye" test first. So far, we just heard about what they can do. We need to see them in action at the college level against college level competition before any real assessments can be made. I'm sure most of our incoming players will play in FIBA competition over the summer. Perhaps we can get a better feel for what they can do on a bigger stage then.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You cant replace them. UConn will be a different type team next season and will be very good. One thing is for sure there is no team in WCBB with anyone like Stewie and Mojeff so no need to worry. UConn most likely will not be winning by 40 or 50 pts a game and with that said that's a lot of points for opponents to make up to keep up with UConn. It will be an exciting season.

Reaction Score
It is Stewie. Her presence covered UCONN's recruiting mistakes and deficiencies.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen any of the incoming freshmen play yet, so I'll reserve any thoughts on any contributions they may render next season. Before I can get excited about any player, they've got to pass the "eye" test first. So far, we just heard about what they can do. We need to see them in action at the college level against college level competition before any real assessments can be made. I'm sure most of our incoming players will play in FIBA competition over the summer. Perhaps we can get a better feel for what they can do on a bigger stage then.

This year is the FIBA Americas U18 and the U17 World Championships, there isn't a U19 team. The birthday cut off is January 1, 1998 for the U18 team. It could be tricky for our incoming players, if they turned 18 before January 1st they would be unable to play.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I refuse to get all mopey about the after WHEN IT AIN'T AFTER YET!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This year is the FIBA Americas U18 and the U17 World Championships, there isn't a U19 team. The birthday cut off is January 1, 1998 for the U18 team. It could be tricky for our incoming players, if they turned 18 before January 1st they would be unable to play.

Thanks masshusk77, I made an assumption before I checked the facts. Something I usually don't do. :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It is Stewie. Her presence covered UCONN's recruiting mistakes and deficiencies.
Can you elaborate on "UCONN's recruiting mistakes and deficiencies"? You are talking about UCONN WCBB right?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Dangerfield's Bday is 5-11-98.

Don't imagine Irwin or Bent would be invited. And Bent did her Soph year over at Tabor, so she's a year older than them anyway.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Both are very difficult, perhaps impossible to replace. They are likely the best 2 players in the country and also among the best ever. But the correct answer is:

TUCK

Stewie has incredible and versatile talent, but Geno is pushing Lou to fill that role. She'll need to work on her interior game, but she appears to have found her outside shot. She has almost the size of Stewie.

Mo is a great leader and shooter and uses her skills on both offense and defense, but Crystal is a very similar (though not identical) player.

No one has Morgan's skills, calmness, and presence. She is the rock. Her personality will be missed. Along with maybe Asjha and Nykesha, she is one of the few players whom Geno has rarely or never criticized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom