More 3s than 2s today | The Boneyard

More 3s than 2s today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
9 made 3s and only 8 2 point field goals. I don't remember a game like that in my 30 plus years as a Husky fan... and to win while shooting under 30% is amazing.

Reaction Score
1/3 of the 3s were in OT. Also 1st half shouldn't count in this game. :eek:

Reaction Score
USF plays miserable pack it in defense and miserable use the clock offense. Watching them is miserable.

Reaction Score
USF plays miserable pack it in defense and miserable use the clock offense. Watching them is miserable.

Actually to me they were not bad to watch. That guard was very very quick and they have a lot of athleticism (one of the best I've seen so far in the league). Their athletes contrasted against our lumberjacks which made it a very interesting game to watch. I think they can beat some teams in the league if they use their strength (athleticism) than that clock offense you mentioned. Its like the Coach is harnessing his players.

Reaction Score
They settled for too many deep shots today. Granted, the D was designed to make UConn take more 3s and the team was simply flat out shooting the ball poorly in the first half. They really came out in the 2nd half attacking USF's zone and showed more patience.

They started their come back by aggressively attacking the zone, scoring inside and taking good in-rhythm 3s. In fact, after hitting a couple nice 3s, they seemed to fall back in love with the deep ball and got away from driving it down their throat, letting USF get right back into the game after going up by 3. They should have won that game going away.

They need to learn to go for the inside body blows more often and spotting their dagger 3s at the right time. Nonetheless, they made enough plays at the end of the game and OT to come away with the W. We can thank Bazz for that, though you can't always count on hitting back-t0-back big time 3s early in OT.

IMO, if they worked hard early in the clock to get into the teeth of USF's zone and worked for better shots, that stat you pointed to would not have happened and they would have won it in regulation. They are prone to losing patience at times and taking early 3s or desperation ones late in the clock. I don't mind them taking a good amount of 3s, but ones where they take them in rhythm (catch & shoot open Js, straight-on dribble 3s with space, etc.). I think they got scared at one point when they were turning it over in traffic at an alarming rate. They seemed to find a safer way of attacking the zone from the baseline, which opened things up. I give KO props for trying different things. I love JC, but at times he'd attack the zone predominantly from to gaps at the top of the key or throwing it to the big at or under the foul line. Both work okay at times, but if that's all you do, teams get good at defending it. Attacking the zone from different points gets a team off balance, causing them to not cheat to one or two spots on the floor. I thought they did a nice job of getting the penetration from the baseline and either getting off some good shots, getting fouled, tossing it over to the weak-side for some open Js or for tossing it around the top before the zone could readjust. One thing is for sure, the windshield wiper offense above the top of the key does nothing more than run clock, though the 2-3 zone is designed to bait teams into doing that and forcing their opponent to take highly contested and desperation shots. Props to KO for making the adjustment.

Reaction Score
This is an extremely accurate assessment. Don't understand his stategy with the players he has. But with 1 win I would turn them loose. Worked in the end for us though.;)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They worked it well but OC and DD couldn't hit the broad side of the barn and RB has been struggling the past 3 games hitting his floater. Nothing needs to be said about the bigs giving points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom