Mora and Daboll in the same boat? | The Boneyard

Mora and Daboll in the same boat?

Reaction Score
Are their teams' current situation their fault, or just unfortunate circumstances beyond their control?

Reaction Score
Daboll has never previously been a head coach and prior to the Bills, every time he was Offensive Coordinator in the NFL the teams sucked and the coaches got fired. Had a good little run with the Bills as coordinator, but aside from that, not too great as a coordinator or coach.

Reaction Score
Are their teams' current situation their fault, or just unfortunate circumstances beyond their control?
It's looking like Mora, although a great coach, was fluke last year. We lost a lot of talent to the draft and portal.

The giants problem is they spent all that money on Jones and never addressed the worst issue, the O Line.

Reaction Score
Mora is not a great coach. That’s not his record. He’s a good coach with experience at the highest level who got off to a great start here.

The Giants’ problems start in the front office. No coach could win with the O linemen who played yesterday.

Reaction Score
Mora is not a great coach. That’s not his record. He’s a good coach with experience at the highest level who got off to a great start here.

The Giants’ problems start in the front office. No coach could win with the O linemen who played yesterday.
He did ok at UCLA, pulled that program out of the ashes. Why the school fired him 6 years later is still being debated.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Watching the Gmen play, I texted my son with the same basic question. UConn or the Giants? I don’t know that it’s the coaching but the Giants are abysmal. Probably lousy drafting and trades, with key injuries to top it off. Pro coaches usually have decent coaching ability and strategies. Could NY do better with what they have? Unknowable. On Monday their D was not terrible. O gave up a 97 int TD and a 7 yard TD drive.

UConn played way better O this week. The blocked PAT obviously was bad but it prevented OT, not necessarily a loss. The breakdowns on D hurt much more but the D overall isn’t historically bad (a low bar, i know). We have had a short time with only part of the roster entering during the Mora regime. If more winning doesn’t start next year with more of his recruits, i think a more fair time to evaluate him. Hopefully there are still some wins sitting there this year.

Reaction Score
Watching the Gmen play, I texted my son with the same basic question. UConn or the Giants? I don’t know that it’s the coaching but the Giants are abysmal. Probably lousy drafting and trades, with key injuries to top it off. Pro coaches usually have decent coaching ability and strategies. Could NY do better with what they have? Unknowable. On Monday their D was not terrible. O gave up a 97 int TD and a 7 yard TD drive.

UConn played way better O this week. The blocked PAT obviously was bad but it prevented OT, not necessarily a loss. The breakdowns on D hurt much more but the D overall isn’t historically bad (a low bar, i know). We have had a short time with only part of the roster entering during the Mora regime. If more winning doesn’t start next year with more of his recruits, i think a more fair time to evaluate him. Hopefully there are still some wins sitting there this year.
Gettleman is a meatheaded simpleton who set the Giants back 8 years during the 4 years he worked there. And to this day he thinks he did a great job. He is truly that clueless.

In college the head coach is both coach and GM. Mora is smart and knows what he's doing but he is handicapped by our budget, our history, and our conference situation. If he is patient, and the school is patient, he will turn this around.

Watch any random Mora press conference, and any random Gettleman press conference, and you will be able to spot the moron pretty quickly.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Daboll is one to watch. In fact, you can't over emphasize the importance of keeping your eye on Daboll.

Reaction Score
Daboll is personnel. Not his fault.

Mora. Issue is personnel and playing clean , he has more control over that. His fault? Yes. But he is unable to turn it over in one year.

pj

Reaction Score
Mora. Issue is personnel and playing clean , he has more control over that. His fault? Yes. But he is unable to turn it over in one year.

His responsibility, more than his fault.

He's done a good job getting the team to improve from September to December. He needs to do better January to August. Like you say it can take years to turn that around. He needs help, but he's the general. If UConn football can get some of the NIL support that basketball gets, he'll have a chance.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Watching parts of a few NFL games today, the Giants look like a minor league team, granted the O line is decimated.

Reaction Score
Daniel Jones may be the biggest coach killer in the modern era.

Daboll needs to get rid of him before he joins the list of the deceased.

I have much more hope for Roberson as a college QB than I do for Jones as an NFL QB.

Reaction Score

I have much more hope for Roberson as a college QB than I do for Jones as an NFL QB.
Daboll won NFL coach of the year with Daniel Jones as his quarterback.

Joe Judge certainly proved that it was Jones not his coaching that lead to his firing. Oh wait.

Reaction Score
It's looking like Mora, although a great coach, was fluke last year. We lost a lot of talent to the draft and portal.

The giants problem is they spent all that money on Jones and never addressed the worst issue, the O Line.
I think they probably should've addressed OT with a legit vet free agent signing instead of drafting every year at that spot. You need vet leadership at that spot these days.
But, here's the good news. Those top OL picks can mature in the coming years and may very well pan out.
Do the NY Football Giants have enough patience for that?

Reaction Score
Completely different situations. Has it ever occurred to anyone that the UConn improvements we are seeing are the result of the staff coaching the players up?

Agree that Jones was a stupid draft pick considering what was available. But lets not get into the Giants. Some of us are fans. We just as soon not bring them up for discussion.

This post is a candidate for the silliest of the year.

Reaction Score

Really? You looked at the giants season so far, and you think Jones is the problem?

This is flabbergasting to me. There is this weird thing among nfl fans, media, even players with Jones.

He is a White guy from duke, who is actually an exceptional athlete. I get it. He’s jj Reddick, wojo, Laettner, Grayson Allen, Dave Brown.

He has ability and talent and a lot athletic ability. Yes he is fast, big. Not a cannon for arm, but certainly not a pop gun.

His issues as a football player are ball security, ball placement and decisions under pressure.

That said… after an encouraging year last year where he managed the game, made plays, and won a playoff game, the wheels have fallen off due to little part of his own.

I go online and see media, even Orlovsky, going out of their way to nitpick.

* There are guys out there blaming Jones for Evan Neal’s struggles, saying that the coverage schem is called correct assuming it was Jones’ fault for some reason.

* when Receiver drops a ball, or doesn’t run hard in and out of routes, or doesn’t make a tough catch becuase of ball placement, but one that they should catch, they kill Jones.

I haven never seen anything like it in all my years watching football.

The giants management, Joe Schoen, who I like, left this line comically bad. Daboll and the OL coach can’t figure out how to snap the ball. They don’t have nfl player currently on that line available to play.

End if story. 4 games, they made Arizona, Seattle, cowboys look like 85 bears.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think they probably should've addressed OT with a legit vet free agent signing instead of drafting every year at that spot. You need vet leadership at that spot these days.
But, here's the good news. Those top OL picks can mature in the coming years and may very well pan out.
Do the NY Football Giants have enough patience for that?
Who knows? I'm a Pats fan and it's just as miserable of a season as the Giants (and UConn). I would gladly have Daniel Jones over Mac Jones. Mac wasn't even that good in college and he's showing that now that he has no receivers or TE's to bail him out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom