Monique Billings | The Boneyard

Monique Billings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why not add her and A'ja Wilson.

She is looking for a team to make the Final Four. That would be UCONN on that list. Baylor possibly... but without Griner....

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
I'd definitely say UCLA has a better chance than Baylor. They have guards Jordin Canada (composite #4) and Recee Caldwell (#10) and wing Kelli Hayes (#42) already on board and are in the running for LaJahnna Drummer (#9) and Monique Billings (#17). That's a Final Four caliber starting 5 right there. Baylor couldn't touch that team with the way their program is declining lately.

Reaction Score
Also, Cal could make a late push in recruiting as they are also in the hunt for Drummer, Billings, as well as 6'1" Kristen Simon (#37 by Prospects Nation), #5 Gabby Green, Yacine Diop (#57 by ProspectsNation), and possibly some sleepers/hidden gems we don't know about. They also are in good shape for some good local guards from 2015.

Reaction Score
https://socialcam.com/v/ylDbPSXm?autostart=true&fs=twitter&fsk=IbzgiiKQ

Surprised I haven't heard a peep about 6'3" Monique Billings as her list is UCLA, USC, Cal, Baylor, & UConn.

Blue Star #24
Prospects Nation #19 (was #15 by HoopGurlz in their final update)
FullCourt #28
ASGR ???

UConn appears to be entering the mix late for her...perhaps she's a Plan B target after Aja Wilson?
Probably for Westbeld and maybe Rooks who may be favoring other schools. I would think from looking at her list that she would prefer a California school. As kat0189 stated in another post in this thread, Cal with possible final 5 potential looks like a strong contender for her.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Are we really interested in Billings or is it one of those cases where a kid lists a team like UCONN to increase their profile?

Reaction Score
Are we really interested in Billings or is it one of those cases where a kid lists a team like UCONN.
Good point. I'd like to know when she would have been scouted by a Uconn coach and when she might have been contacted by Uconn. If she takes an official visit, that will resolve some of the uncertainty concerning Uconn's recruitment.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good point. I'd like to know when she would have been scouted by a Uconn coach and when she might have been contacted by Uconn. If she takes an official visit, that will resolve some of the uncertainty concerning Uconn's recruitment.
Yea, I haven't heard her name associated with UCONN, at least from a UCONN point of view.

Reaction Score
Who will sign next for UCONN this season?........Maybe an unknown talent?

Reaction Score
When is Husky Nan going to update the boneyard. It has players listed that gave verbals to other schools? I know. I'm OCD

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'd definitely say UCLA has a better chance than Baylor. They have guards Jordin Canada (composite #4) and Recee Caldwell (#10) and wing Kelli Hayes (#42) already on board and are in the running for LaJahnna Drummer (#9) and Monique Billings (#17). That's a Final Four caliber starting 5 right there. Baylor couldn't touch that team with the way their program is declining lately.

With all due respect, those young ladies haven't even signed their LOIs yet. Baylor currently had a verbal commitment from a top 25 player and will most likely get more. It might be a tad soon to claim that Baylor can't touch UCLA.

As for rankings, well, there are any number of Top 10 teams loaded with highly ranked players that weren't in the Final Four this year - Duke, Tennessee, Baylor, Stanford, Maryland, Kentucky... Rankings don't guarantee anything or mean anything in head-to-head matchups.

Reaction Score
Nan,
Not sure what you consider highly ranked when it comes to players. Last season Maryland started three that weren't in most Top 100 lists- Rutan, Pavlech and Hawkins. Devaughn was around top 50. Thomas received mix reviews as a recruit- not a McDonald's AA or WBCA AA, was rates high by ESPN, but Blue Star has her around 75 and Brandon Clay had her as fringe Top 50. Freshman Malina Howard was well-regarded, as was Tierney Pfirman (who missed most of 2h of season) and they also had a former walk-on in the rotation. It was a pretty remarkable season with that group.
With all due respect, those young ladies haven't even signed their LOIs yet. Baylor currently had a verbal commitment from a top 25 player and will most likely get more. It might be a tad soon to claim that Baylor can't touch UCLA.

As for rankings, well, there are any number of Top 10 teams loaded with highly ranked players that weren't in the Final Four this year - Duke, Tennessee, Baylor, Stanford, Maryland, Kentucky... Rankings don't guarantee anything or mean anything in head-to-head matchups.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan,
Not sure what you consider highly ranked when it comes to players. Last season Maryland started three that weren't in most Top 100 lists- Rutan, Pavlech and Hawkins. Devaughn was around top 50. Thomas received mix reviews as a recruit- not a McDonald's AA or WBCA AA, was rates high by ESPN, but Blue Star has her around 75 and Brandon Clay had her as fringe Top 50. Freshman Malina Howard was well-regarded, as was Tierney Pfirman (who missed most of 2h of season) and they also had a former walk-on in the rotation. It was a pretty remarkable season with that group.
Agree. My point is that high rankings don't guarantee a Final Four - or anything else, really.

Reaction Score
Hello All...Im new here, but Love our Huskies all the same. Anybody have a word on Jatarie White or Khaalia Hillsman and what direction they're headed in?

As for 2015, what's the word on the following talents out of NY? Jordan Augustus 6'0 F (#19-ProspectsNation), Brianna Fraser 6'3 Post (#38-PN) and Batouly Camara 6'3 Post (#57-PN)? Are we scouting them? Are they interested in UConn?

Lastly, if Westbeld and Waterman want to play together, will we take 'em both?

Thanks.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Is Monique Billings from Montana or the revenue department.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Lastly, if Westbeld and Waterman want to play together, will we take 'em both?

Thanks.
Not sure about the other stuff, but on this part, in the past Geno has not be too inclined to take sets. Unless he specifically was after both individually. And I don't believe we have heard anything on Waterman and UCONN.

Oh and welcome aboard. :)

Reaction Score
Not sure about the other stuff, but on this part, in the past Geno has not be too inclined to take sets. Unless he specifically was after both individually. And I don't believe we have heard anything on Waterman and UCONN.

I'm trying to recall an instance where he said no to sets or chose to stay away from them. Not saying it didn't happen, but I just don't recall. What I do recall is him offering Jacqui Fernandez a walk-on position, which was out of the blue in one regard (her next best offer was D3 Western Connecticut State) and precisely calculated at the same time (she was the Stonington High School upperclassman teammate and good friend of Heather Buck, who was at that time dominating high school basketball and being recruited by Notre Dame and Stanford as well). He also signed Morgan Valley in the same class as DT, and I do remember there being mention during that recruitment that there was already interest in younger sister Ashley. After seeing Ashley play at UConn, I still wonder if it was expressed during Morgan's recruitment that they were a package deal, that the sisters and family wanted them to play college ball together, and if that might have been a reason that there was apparently early interest in Ashley. Yes, Morgan's production was limited (mostly by injuries) throughout her college days, especially when looking at her expectations coming in, but Ashley never impressed me in any kind of meaningful minutes. I always felt that Morgan had more talent and ability in her than we ever saw while she was at UConn. To suggest that Ashley might have been given an early nod due to their interest in her sister is of course mere speculation, but I do wonder if even Geno would in fact take a package deal or at least humor the idea if part of it included a player he was heavily after.

Reaction Score
. I'm trying to recall an instance where he said no to sets or chose to stay away from them. Not saying it didn't happen,

Geno was heavily interested in both Courtney Paris and Abby Waner, but not so much in either of their sisters.

I'm pretty sure Fernandes was approached AFTER Buck gave her verbal.

And it would be hard to know of cases where Geno backed off early as soon as found out a player was a package deal.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, VG has it right, the Waner sisters from Colorado and the Parises are examples.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Fernandes was approached AFTER Buck gave her verbal.

Im not sure about that Fernandes was on board before Buck.... probably signed Jac to help lure Buck.

Jac was very talented in HS tho... I was very impressed when I saw her when I went to watch Buck

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Not sure Jacquie was a lure for Buck at all. They were not the same class. Did Jacq have a scholarship right away? I thought she came without one when Geno offered the chance to be on the team and he later gave her one. She was originally going to Western. I remember discussion around making the change without scholarship.

Reaction Score
Not sure Jacquie was a lure for Buck at all. They were not the same class. Did Jacq have a scholarship right away? I thought she came without one when Geno offered the chance to be on the team and he later gave her one. She was originally going to Western. I remember discussion around making the change without scholarship.
She wasn't a lure for Buck. I recollect she began as a walkon and received her scholarship either the second semester of her freshman year or her sophomore year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom