Monday games: ND @ NC State, Oregon @ OSU | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Monday games: ND @ NC State, Oregon @ OSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ok Great game. OSU deserved it. Hope Hebard is ok.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Slocum turned the game w/ a back to back fade away jumper in the lane and then a 3 from the corner. She finished w/ 20, 22 for Goodman, 11 points and 11 rebounds for Pivec. 21 for Ionescu and 12 each for Sabally and Boley.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
REALLY awesome game.

Lots of very good players on the OSU team. Solid across the board - starting 5 and a few deep. Still, I can see why they have 5 losses. They do some things well (like this kind of defense), but they're equal part inconsistent, and sometimes go on a streak where they can't buy a basket.

What a play by Aleah Goodman in the end! I know she was just trying to foul, but she got there really fast and forced Ionescu to make a bad play. You can call that alert. Still, MVP tonight regardless of that one play or not.

Still entertaining as hell. Pac-12 making SEC chew mincemeat tonight.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And the badass award for the Oregon/OSU game goes to (weak drum roll)....Scott Rueck. A team he has taught patience, calm execution, confidence and attitude. Also of course how to wear other teams out with high post screens. When Tara retires Rueck in my mind automatically becomes the best coach in the Pac 12. When Geno and Muffet retire this guy IMO becomes the best in WCBB. Even if you don't agree with my assessment you have to agree he'll be in the conversation.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
sure looked like Ionescu flopped, "almost went in" ? the shot barely hit the rim

Not much contact there, but you can't even give the ref the opportunity to make that call. She was late on a close out, at that point just stay away and let her shoot it. I don't know, as far as almost in it was close enough, could've tied the game up.

edit--and Ionescu is really good at selling fouls. She does it all the time.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Big surprise but it shows the big advantage that a big home crowd brings to the home team. That is why I think UConn will be unbeatable in Albany.

You seem obsessed with UConn in Albany. I've been to the Albany regional. It's a polite crowd but hardly raucous. A better team can and should win there.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Really great game. One of the most entertaining games this year IMO. OSU is going to be immensely dangerous, especially if they end up in Portland as a 3 seed. I hope Hebard is okay....anything knee related is scary. Oregon should still be safely on the 1 line. Both teams should be strong Final Four favorites next year with another deep draft class entering the W.

Reaction Score
Rueck has done a really nice job of bringing Jo Grymek along over the past year. She was not too good a season ago, and while she still isn’t a Gulich or a Hamblin, she has improved so much. He and his staff really are as good at developing posts as any other in the country. Even Patricia Morris looks 100x better than she did early. Will be interesting to see what he can do with Aquino, Mitrovic, Jones, Brown, and Morris. I could see Brown playing a good bit of 4 her freshman season. She could challenge Corosdale for minutes.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Slocum gives OSU a true alpha and Goodman played out of her mind. They need to do a better job of getting the ball into Grymk however.

Reaction Score
Now a serious question, how does Molly Bent compare to Oregon State’s Aleah Goodman?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Ugh. I hope I'm dead wrong but those words have me thinking of the three dreaded letters.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Nothing saps my joy for the game like seeing a potentially season-ending injury, especially to a player I like on a team I like.

Oregon was well on its way to being the first #1 seed from the Pac-12 since Stanford in 2013. This loss by itself wouldn't change that, but if Hebard is lost for the season, it becomes highly questionable.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I agree though I saw on twitter that this loss could move us to a 2 seed. Is he crazy or is there merit to that thought?

It would require O to keep it's ranking and some pretender who smoked a lesser opponent to jump 2 spots, :rolleyes: Possible but really strange. Of course, all things are possible with Mr. Creme, but he doesn't count. Whose twitter post was it?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
One of the more start-to-finish competitive and enjoyable WBB games this season, though not always pretty. Congrats to the Beavs for finishing when it mattered in those last (long) seconds. I came away super impressed by Goodman - so clutch for a sophomore bench guard. I'm still not totally sold on Slocum because she can be pretty sloppy with the ball (and had 6 TOs!), but she does know how to find shots in a pinch.

And yes - Rueck practically turns water into wine in Corvallis - he does more with less than just about anyone in the country. Can you imagine him with the Tennessee or Texas players?

Finally, as a native Oregonian, I have to say, it was awesome to see two WBB games both have such intense, sell-out crowds. The state of PAC-12 play on the men's side is beyond moribund, but the women are in the midst of an inspiring renaissance.

And fingers crossed Hebard just tweaked something - she's been one of my favorites from day one at Oregon. Such a poised competitor.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Now a serious question, how does Molly Bent compare to Oregon State’s Aleah Goodman?

I think Goodman is simply a better player than Bent, but I also think Rueck gets significant contributions from players that would hardly see the floor for Geno. I'm convinced Natalie Butler would've been a player somewhat like Hamblin or Gulich at OSU.

Reaction Score
Oregon State doesn't move much.
Rueck has done a really nice job of bringing Jo Grymek along over the past year. She was not too good a season ago, and while she still isn’t a Gulich or a Hamblin, she has improved so much. He and his staff really are as good at developing posts as any other in the country. Even Patricia Morris looks 100x better than she did early. Will be interesting to see what he can do with Aquino, Mitrovic, Jones, Brown, and Morris. I could see Brown playing a good bit of 4 her freshman season. She could challenge Corosdale for minutes.

But she was promised to play the 3 at Oregon State that is part of the reason she chose them. (Brown)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Potentially season ending injury? Oh wow, I hope not. I didn't get that impression when it happened.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
How in the world is this even a serious question.

Against what team would Molly Bent be capable of scoring 22 points?

Reaction Score
In other news the NPOY race is officially a race. Whoever will finish the year the strongest may very well get the award.

Reaction Score
I think Goodman is simply a better player than Bent, but I also think Rueck gets significant contributions from players that would hardly see the floor for Geno. I'm convinced Natalie Butler would've been a player somewhat like Hamblin or Gulich at OSU.
This was more or less the angle I was asking the question from. Would a player like Goodman even sniff minutes at UConn? I have been very impressed with her. She is very poised, especially for a sophomore.

Reaction Score
Oregon State doesn't move much.

But she was promised to play the 3 at Oregon State that is part of the reason she chose them. (Brown)
She will possibly be a 3/4 player I guess. I dislike how 6’6” wants to play on the perimeter to much. I still like her as a stretch-4
or in the high post. OSU will still have decent guard depth next year, and a ton of young bigs. Will be interesting to see which ones emerge.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
You seem obsessed with UConn in Albany. I've been to the Albany regional. It's a polite crowd but hardly raucous. A better team can and should win there.

It's possible it wasn't raucous because UConn usually enjoyed big leads in their games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom