Mojo Fuel - Pregame quotes from 1999 | The Boneyard

Mojo Fuel - Pregame quotes from 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seems like folks here are having a similar feel about what the prognosticators are saying about our chances. I have a word doc (that many of you have too) that has a bunch of pregame quotes and predictions. Thought it would be fun and Mojo friendly to repost some:

Taken from the St. Petersburg Times

Legendary Celtics coach Red Auerbach: Duke's got to win it. I've never seen a Final Four that had such a prohibitive favorite. We all know that anything can happen in one ballgame -- but Duke's the 1-7 favorite to win the whole thing. That's unbelievable.

Storrs, Conn., town manager Martin Berliner: Oh, God, do I have to tell you the truth? Go, Huskies.

David Duke: Duke, of course.

Orlando Magic guard Darrell Armstrong: I knew Duke and Connecticut were the two strongest teams. I look for Duke to take it. I don't see anybody stopping that Mack truck.

Nancy Lieberman Cline, 1996 Hall of Fame Inductee, GM and coach of the WNBA Detroit Shock: I think Duke will win it. Anything can happen, but they (Duke) are very talent-deep and Coach K is one of the all-time great coaches. I'd be very surprised if they lost.

CBS NFL analyst Randy Cross: I'm a go-to-form guy. I love Duke. They're the Denver Broncos, the Green Bay Packers. There is not even a close No. 2.

CBS college football analyst Craig James: Duke's second team would win the tournament, so why wouldn't their first?

Sports artist LeRoy Neiman: Duke, because Duke is Duke. That's the only way I can put it. Is there a better explanation?

Wagner coach Dereck Whittenberg, whose shot Lorenzo Charles grabbed and put in at the buzzer in N.C. State's upset of Houston in 1983: Duke. What's their weakness? They can play half court. They can play up-tempo. They can defend you. They can play zone. You can play zone against them and they can shoot over you, they can go inside. They have no weakness. The times they haven't played well, they still managed to score 80 or so points. If you don't play that well and don't shoot that well and still score 80, it's hard to lose in college basketball.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I still have a box I cut out of the Tampa Tribune that day showing the media picks. Out of 47 picks, only 8 for UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01
Top Bottom