OT: - MLB Greatest Outfield Throws of All time | The Boneyard

OT: MLB Greatest Outfield Throws of All time

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
While we're all waiting for our first verbal for 2019, here's a little ditty for those of you that are baseball fans, and who respect and enjoy displays of great throws from the outfield in MLB. This is a compilation of some of the greatest throws in the last 30 years.

Roberto Clemente had the greatest arm of all time and should be on this video. But I understand why he isn't on this. When Clemente was playing, Pittsburgh was a media and news black hole. There weren't many cameras rolling while Roberto was playing, so many of his greatest throws were never captured on film. Still, that's no excuse for Clemente being left off this video!

The Bo Jackson throw to get Harold Reynolds will always be one of the best. Considering how fast Reynolds was. For Jackson to throw him out at the warning track, and he doesn't get rid of the ball until Reynolds had rounded 3rd base was amazing. It's honestly mind blowing that someone could make that throw against a very fast player. Jackson however was a freak of nature. The stories of the things he could do are almost folk like.

Still the best "myth" about Jackson is while at Auburn he ran a 3.9 40 yard dash, which is interesting because Deion "Primetime" Sanders, who is regarded as one of the fastest players ever to play in the NFL - best time in the 40 was 4.27. You know what that means! :eek:

Take note that none of the runners thrown out argue about the call. I hope you enjoy. :cool:

[VIDEO]

Here are some one in a million FANtastic plays in MLB. [Video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I seem to recall an incident from back in the late 50's or 60's where a Yankee hit a deep fly to Indians right fielder, Rocky Colavito, with Mickey Mantle tagging up at 3rd. Colavito airmailed the throw over the catcher, but the ball ricocheted off the stands and bounced back to the catcher in time to nail Mickey at home. It's been so long ago that my memory could be playing tricks with me. Does anyone else remember this incident?

Reaction Score
I seem to recall an incident from back in the late 50's or 60's where a Yankee hit a deep fly to Indians right fielder, Rocky Colavito, with Mickey Mantle tagging up at 3rd. Colavito airmailed the throw over the catcher, but the ball ricocheted off the stands and bounced back to the catcher in time to nail Mickey at home. It's been so long ago that my memory could be playing tricks with me. Does anyone else remember this incident?

Trick memories only come with old age - here you go.

Colavito was sometimes known as a loose cannon for his wild throws and he proved it one day in the late 1950s in a comical incident involving Mickey Mantle. "It was a Sunday doubleheader in Cleveland," Colavito said. "Mickey's on third base, and they hit a ball to medium right field to me. I would get back on a ball like that, and then I'd come in and take it on the run and I really put everything I had behind it. I caught the ball on the run and Mickey faked me. I see him tagging up, and I wasn't taking any chances. The way he ran you couldn't afford to. So I reach back and let it go as hard as I could. It was like a line drive, but it was a little too high. It took off. (Catcher) Russ Nixon jumped for the ball, but it just carried right over his glove. Mickey saw that and ran home.

"The ball hit the brick wall -- they didn't have cushions around the walls in those days -- and bounced -- can you believe this -- right back to Russ at home plate. Mickey was out at home. Mickey was so embarrassed, but it wasn't his fault. I had to laugh."

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I was at a game in Yankee Stadium as a teen. Sunday doubleheader vs. Tigers. Second game, NY up 1 eighth inning, Detroit has a runner on 2nd with 2 out and put in a pinch runner (don’t remember who). Next guy hits a single to right and Roger Maris nailed the fast guy at home to preserve the lead (and the W). Maris was a very good fielder with a strong arm.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As a former Yankee fan, I recall the ball bouncing off the brick wall and Mickey being tagged out.

Roberto Clemente was great ballplayer. He had no weaknesses and was one of my favorites to watch. His body language and stretching were entertaining. He could hit ANY pitch.

Some of those plays show the same outfielder making 2 or 3 great throws, both strong and on target. Bo Jackson was a phenomenon at two sports. His running off the football field and down the tunnel was referenced this weekend. Ichiro was one of the best hitters ever and one of the best throwers ever.

This guy had an arm that runners learned not to challenge. He threw out 2 runners in the 1979 All-Star game:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was at a game in Yankee Stadium as a teen. Sunday doubleheader vs. Tigers. Second game, NY up 1 eighth inning, Detroit has a runner on 2nd with 2 out and put in a pinch runner (don’t remember who). Next guy hits a single to right and Roger Maris nailed the fast guy at home to preserve the lead (and the W). Maris was a very good fielder with a strong arm.
Roger was under-rated as an outfielder.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Thanks for the video. I have to say, that Puig is the most exciting outfielder in the game today.

Reaction Score
I don't know if anyone noticed in the video but Roberto used a long bat for his size. He was a free swinger and hit balls out of the strike zone for home runs. A great player and a great man.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't know if anyone noticed in the video but Roberto used a long bat for his size. He was a free swinger and hit balls out of the strike zone for home runs. A great player and a great man.
Yep. Roberto died in a plane crash on a humanitarian mission. He still had a few good years of baseball left.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Just 3 highlights showing the brilliance of Roberto Clemente in taking over a World Series game. Just watch how his body moves.

I grew up in Pittsburgh and was fortunate to see Roberto Clemente for nearly all of his career there. He was a joy to watch and brought a lot of good fortune to our city. I was nine years old when he and the rest of the Pirates beat the Yankees and their fabulous bunch of All Star players in the World Series. It had been many years since any Pittsburgh team had see such glory. My dad took us downtown to watch the celebration. I remember Clemente fielding the ball in right field and throwing guys out at first base. That arm was incredible , and he rarely hesitated to throw to any base, often behind runners who thought they had it made. The old Sixth Street Bridge, an architectural beauty BTW, is named after him, as are many other local landmarks. He was a great player and a great man.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I grew up in Pittsburgh and was fortunate to see Roberto Clemente for nearly all of his career there. He was a joy to watch and brought a lot of good fortune to our city. I was nine years old when he and the rest of the Pirates beat the Yankees and their fabulous bunch of All Star players in the World Series. It had been many years since any Pittsburgh team had see such glory. My dad took us downtown to watch the celebration. I remember Clemente fielding the ball in right field and throwing guys out at first base. That arm was incredible , and he rarely hesitated to throw to any base, often behind runners who thought they had it made. The old Sixth Street Bridge, an architectural beauty BTW, is named after him, as are many other local landmarks. He was a great player and a great man.
He was like Brett Favre in that he played with a joyous enthusiasm that made watching just him worth the price of admission.

I saw Roberto in person once, against the Phillies and Richie Ashburn at the old Connie Mack Stadium. He was a solid and spectacular player.

Carnac

Reaction Score
As a former Yankee fan, I recall the ball bouncing off the brick wall and Mickey being tagged out.

Roberto Clemente was great ballplayer. He had no weaknesses and was one of my favorites to watch. His body language and stretching were entertaining. He could hit ANY pitch.

Some of those plays show the same outfielder making 2 or 3 great throws, both strong and on target. Bo Jackson was a phenomenon at two sports. His running off the football field and down the tunnel was referenced this weekend. Ichiro was one of the best hitters ever and one of the best throwers ever.

This guy had an arm that runners learned not to challenge. He threw out 2 runners in the 1979 All-Star game:

Dave Parker aka the "Cobra", #39 I remember him well. :) I had the pleasure and privilege of seeing Clemente in person many times throughout the 60's when the Pirates came west to play the Dodgers.

I always listened to HOF Dodger broadcaster Vin Scully (a master story teller) on a headset whenever I attended a game. He had lots of stories about different players, Clemente notwithstanding. He called Roberto the best "bad ball" hitter in the game.

Scully would often comment on how if you ever asked Clemente how he was, Roberto would give you chapter and verse about all of his ailments. Scully said the man was never 100%. He was a 5 point player (run, hit, hit w/power, field and throw). I remember their manager Danny Murtaugh, and many of the players: Dick Groat, catchers Smoky Burgess and Manny Sanguillen, Don Clendenon, Don Hoak, Bill Mazeroski, Wilver (Willie) Stargell (during his rookie year-1962), Bill Verdon, Dick Schofield, Vern Law, Bob Bailey, Johnny Logan,etc. Those were the days. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Dave Parker aka the "Cobra", #39 I remember him well. :) I had the pleasure and privilege of seeing Clemente in person many times throughout the 60's when the Pirates came west to play the Dodgers.

I always listened to Vin Scully on headset whenever I attended s game. He had lots of stories sbout different players, Clemente notwithstanding. He called Roberto the best "bad ball" hitter in the game.

Scully would often comment on how if you ever asked Clemente how he was, Roberto would give you chapter and verse about all of his ailments. Scully said the man was never 100%. He was a 5 point player. I remember their manager Danny Murtaugh, and many of the players: Dick Groat, catchers Smoky Burgess and Manny Sanguillen, Don Clendenon, Don Hoak, Bill Mazeroski, Wilver (Willie) Stargell (during his rookie year-1962), Bill Verdon, Dick Schofield, Vern Law, Bob Bailey, Johnny Logan,etc. Those were the days. :)
Willie Stargell said that batting against left-handed Steve Carlton was like trying to eat soup with a fork.

The other bad ball bitter I recall had a way with words, like Stargell: Lawrence Peter Berra.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yep. Roberto died in a plane crash on a humanitarian mission. He still had a few good years of baseball left.

The day baseball cried. We lost one of the the all time greats that day. The 1972 Puerto Rico DC-7 Crash was an aviation accident that occurred on December 31, 1972. I remember that day well.

Roberto Clemente was a baseball star for the Pittsburgh Pirates, winning two World Series championships with them, and becoming only the 11th player in Major League Baseball history to collect 3,000 hits on September 30, 1972, in his final at-bat.

Eleven weeks after he was killed on a mercy mission, Roberto Clemente was voted into baseball's Hall of Fame in an extraordinary special election. The longtime outfielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates and folk hero in Puerto Rico thereby became the first Latin‐American player picked for the museum at Cooperstown, N. Y. He also became The first player in baseball history to be elected in a special mail poll without the normal five‐year wait.

Only two months after Clemente's visit, on December 23, an earthquake struck Managua, causing the deaths of 5,000 persons and devastation to Nicaragua's capital. Many countries sent help and this made Clemente desire to send help, paid for with his own money, and to personally supervise the delivery of goods. Clemente had been convinced to involve himself in the relief efforts by local television show host, reporter and celebrity Luis Vigoreaux.

Accident
The accident caused the deaths of all five people on board, including Clemente. The airplane crashed immediately after take-off from Isla Verde International Airport, falling into the beach at the adjacent area known as Pinones. It was rumored that the plane was over loaded. I remember reading that several people at the airport tried to talk him out of getting on the plane. They told him it was over loaded, but he insisted. He said he had to go. :(

Clemente leased the aircraft from a local airline, American Express Leasing (also named "American Air Express" by some sources), Unknown to Clemente, the aircraft, a DC-7, had suffered a non-fatal accident just 29 days before the fateful flight took place.

[Story]

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom